I prefer riding my EMTB to riding a motorcycle

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
Le_Fromage_Grande

I prefer riding my EMTB to riding a motorcycle

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I feel like a traitor for saying the above, but having been out on my EMTB for a couple of hours this morning, an hour yesterday and an hour Friday, I can honestly say that my EMTB is more fun than a motorcycle, especially a motorcycle on public roads, I don't know whether I'm going to have a road legal bike this year, I may not bother.

Probably helps that my mate has bought a Cube EMTB and we've been out for a ride the last two Sundays and have a ride planned for next week, there's a cycle trail park about 3 miles away that we're going to start using and live in close to heath land and forests.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: I prefer riding my EMTB to riding a motorcycle

Post by weeksy »

Funny thing isn't it.

Couch has Virtually given up on motorbikes after getting his ebikes.
As you're all aware, I'd take MTB over motorbikes every day of the week.

Yesterday for example me and the boy were out, riding with a few mates, talking rubbish for 4hours +. We shared laughs, banter, ego, jumps, trails, pedalling and just being out talking crap. It cost me a grand total of £0
But I also got time with my lad, time to myself and head space. I honestly can say it was the best day out I've had in many many months.

I've all but given up with trackdays, Fil2 was chatting about Silverstone in July on the day Mrs Weeksy has booked, but o just had no interest in it. I'll be there as crew and really enjoy it, but that's it.
Portimao is different as that's all about the whole experience, but part of me could leave the bike at home and have just as much fun.

I'll still do road rides, it helps me see GP etc who I don't see enough, but if him and the boys were all to get ebikes, I'd take that all day.
Le_Fromage_Grande

I think the couple of hours out today did my head the world of good, even last week's mud fest was a laugh - we might tackle the mud again next week.

Cycling is just really easy, I can wear reasonably normal clothes, have a laugh and we're not annoying anyone, and as you say it costs virtually nothing - a years membership of the local trail park is £70, so about half what a single track day costs, and it's 20 minutes cycle away.
Honda Owner
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

I’m the same tbh and I’ll explain why. When in 2 wheels I like to ride like a twat and in places I want to go with no rules and no consequences. I love motorbikes but there’s few places you can do that now, the roads are too busy and those that aren’t are miles away. The risks of being nicked are high and there’s nowhere left off road. In the past we had some airfields to play on and there was more green lanes open. These are all but gone.
Now the mtb yesterday I met a mate 3 miles from home and we spent 2 hours on some downhill runs that would be at home at bike park Wales, built by kids in local woods. Luckily living around Sherwood Forest there is loads of these and all free. By the afternoon it was sherwood pines with the family and a friend. Again mtb trials we all enjoyed, some daft stuff jumps wheelies and skids. At no point did anyone stop us and tbh we saw very few people. The ebike also gives proper speed on fast trails, quicker than anyone on a normal bike and it’s a huge Adrenalin buzz. The cost for the whole day was less than £10 and that was at the cafe. A motorbike track day gives a good buzz but you can’t mess around wheelying and having a laugh and tbh at £300 all in it isn’t happening.

I’ll always have a motorbike but the mtb has took the place of it
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

All of the above, I like my motorbike but on the MTB or EMTB I can ride at or past my limit with few consequences. Also it is a bit cheaper😂😂
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Rp1

Post by Rp1 »

Another convert here, since buying mine in September I'm a few miles short of 700 miles completed on it which is more than I put on the Pani V4 in the last year, have had some brilliant days out and seen some spectacular views along the way, been out on warm days, wet days, very wet days & thick snow and have enjoyed all of them, the boys are all chomping at the bit for track days at the moment but im not to bothered tbh will probably do a few just for shits and giggles but more looking forward to some big days/weekends out on emtb
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Hmm. I've always loved monster road bikes but since I bought the Husky, I've done more miles on that than the GSXR.

I'm happy doing slow technical stuff, but still love to open the taps on the 50 2 stroke gee gees.

I've ridden leccy bikes and they're very capable, but I still need the power and noise buzz.
Le_Fromage_Grande

If off road riding was easy in the UK I don't know if I'd have bought an EMTB, I love riding fast dirt bikes on fast open tracks, something like a WR450 through Thetford Forest is massive fun, but you end up riding the same byways every week and getting hassle every week, it gets pretty tiresome, and Suffok isn't the Mojave desert.
Honda Owner
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

I kind of agree, yesterday I actually SORN'd my Fazer, it could do with money spending on it, and in the current climate (wife's job) I can't justify spending anywhere near what I need to. So I think it'll be off the road for the year?

Whereas my ebike is all paid for, seems to be running fine, a small issue with the rear tyre sealant. I'm off work now for a couple of weeks so will get out on a few rides into the hills.

I do think that my next big purchase won't be a motorbike, it'll be another/ new ebike.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

So...Revtothelimit is about 120rpm with a Bosch motor! :o
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

When's the first leccy bike trackday?
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Yorick wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:09 pm Hmm. I've always loved monster road bikes but since I bought the Husky, I've done more miles on that than the GSXR.

I'm happy doing slow technical stuff, but still love to open the taps on the 50 2 stroke gee gees.

I've ridden leccy bikes and they're very capable, but I still need the power and noise buzz.
These aren’t leccy bikes they’re ebikes and can go everywhere a normal cycle can, I know what you mean about power but 25mph on a mtb trail between trees is an adrenalin buzz. Need to find proper trails though 👍
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:05 pm When's the first leccy bike trackday?
We've had them. Bike Park Wales is Portimao. We'll be there as soon as the rules allow. I'm going to send Couch down the Black trails following my boy.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

We’ve already done bike park Wales once, there’ll be another soon as lockdown is done. It’s like a Trackday for mtb’s but much cheaper
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

weeksy wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:13 pm
We've had them. Bike Park Wales is Portimao. We'll be there as soon as the rules allow. I'm going to send Couch down the Black trails following my boy.
My problem is, I'm not very good at going downhill!! I'd end up crashing in a big way :lol:
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

Been out on the normal MTB today and had a blast, took the first for it's first Shane when yesterday for an hour and felt like I'd just passed my CBT will probably take the emtb or next weekend for a bit.

I love them all for different reasons and wouldn't give any of them up
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Nordboy wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:16 pm
weeksy wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:13 pm
My problem is, I'm not very good at going downhill!! I'd end up crashing in a big way :lol:
You say that like any of us are? We're mid Inters at best.
Le_Fromage_Grande

I'm slow as fuck on steep downhills, I'm so slow I'd go over the bars if I used the front brake.
Honda Owner
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

I keep thinking I should go for a ride with SWMBO's cousin's lad, but I think I'm at least 20 years too old and severely lacking talent!

Definitely planning to get into it this year though.
Thanks to all of you lot in providing inspiration...especially weeksy, who I still remember as being in the shape he was when we met up in Reading 22 years ago.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Kneerly Down wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:15 pm I keep thinking I should go for a ride with SWMBO's cousin's lad, but I think I'm at least 20 years too old and severely lacking talent!

Definitely planning to get into it this year though.
Thanks to all of you lot in providing inspiration...especially weeksy, who I still remember as being in the shape he was when we met up in Reading 22 years ago.
Not convinced it's the best trail, but it looks fine fun that's for sure.