Tell me about ebike conversion kits

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
Taipan

Tell me about ebike conversion kits

Post by Taipan »

Been thinking about getting the wife and I a couple of leccy bikes, but when searching for used bikes I see there are a few with conversion kits on them. I suppose it'd make more sense to convert our old bikes? We're only looking for a bit of assistance and aren't going racing or anything, so what sort of kit should I be looking at and ideas of costs etc?
TIA
Dodgy69

Re: Tell me about ebike conversion kits

Post by Dodgy69 »

I looked at this last year and found by the time you get the kit and battery you're as well off just buying a ready made one. Got the wife a Carrera for £900. 35 mile real range, she was out on it yesterday, love's it. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

i have an old brompton ...an e bike conversion kit for it keeps coming up in my FB feed - 700 quid -there are different types to do with how the power is fed in etc .
Ready made sounds better - now and again i think about a velosolex for going to work on but the idea goes away .
r
rossm

Post by rossm »

Fitted a mid mount kit on my old MTB, but as mentioned even doing everything myself the bits alone (Kit & battery) come in at around the £500 mark so depends what a ready to go bike is going to be priced in at.
rossm

Post by rossm »

And on a side note these universal kits by their very nature don't fit without some creativity, in my case it was with an angle grinder
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Think i'll pass on this idea then. Thought it might be an interesting little project to upgrade our old bikes, but it sounds like a headache I could do without. Thanks for the feedback. :thumbup:
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

My brother has just done a Tongshen mid drive conversion on his bike.. total cost including delivery was under £450 ..he went for a 350w motor as it look so exactly the same as the legal 250w one but has more torque etc .. looks good ( not ideal for tough off reading due to its position) and performs brilliantly ..( derestriction via the display screen so easy to put back if needed) ..took less than 2 hours to install .