Have Derbyshire police lost the plot?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mussels

Have Derbyshire police lost the plot?

Post by Mussels »

When I see a story like this I usually look for what the other side of the story is but here I just can't see it.
Two women each drove 5 miles to take excersise together but were fined as soon as they stepped out of their cars. Carrying a cup of coffee is a picnic aparently but I don't remember seeing a rule that said you can't drink anything during your excersise.
This now makes me doubt all of their previous complaints about crowds of people travelling across the country to go there.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-d ... e-55560814
derek badger

Re: Have Derbyshire police lost the plot?

Post by derek badger »

They both live five miles away from the reservoir, so they could effectively be 10 miles apart. It doesn't say, but even 5 miles is not fucking local, is it?

Guidance for the current lockdown says people can travel for exercise as long as it is in their "local area".

Fuck them. Make them an example. Stay the fuck at home. Don't go to Starbucks. Don't go meet your mate for a walk.
Last edited by derek badger on Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You should minimise time spent outside your home, but you can leave your home to exercise. This should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
So yeah, they're breaching the guidance.

I would've said they're breaking the law, but I honestly don't know what's guidance and what's law ATM. Hence why I am sticking to the guidance.

Edit. I would say that if you have to drive there to exercise then it ain't local. If you ran the 5 miles I might feel differently :D
cheb

Post by cheb »

How far is their nearest shop suitable for doing a reasonable shop, small to medium supermarket, not a corner shop or fuel station?

There's plenty places to exercise locally that are nearer than the nearest shop. It's either that or walk on single track roads with no pavements. Even with minimal traffic that's not fun with a small child.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

cheb wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:04 pm How far is their nearest shop suitable for doing a reasonable shop, small to medium supermarket, not a corner shop or fuel station?

There's plenty places to exercise locally that are nearer than the nearest shop. It's either that or walk on single track roads with no pavements. Even with minimal traffic that's not fun with a small child.
In your neck of the woods maybe, but they were collared somewhere which is a couple of miles from Derby City centre plus a few other major urban centres :D
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I think it's great that Derbyshire police have done such a cracking job of reducing burglary, car crime, driving offences, sexual assult, etc., etc., that they can allocate the slack resources to clear up such a heinous act of criminality. I mean, come on...two women, out for a walk with a hot drink ?

Lock 'em up and throw away the key, I say.

FFS.....

Edit: Hang on. Just seen they both wear Hunter wellingtons. Hang 'em high!
Last edited by gremlin on Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

In "reality", if we drive to the middle of nowhere, take your exercise for as long as you want, don't go near anyone , you will not catch or spread the virus.

The problem is, those with common sence can think for themselves, but may be in conflict with the guidelines, depending on your interpretation of them.
Yamaha rocket 3
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

This shows the problem with the rules/guidance, what is local? My town is at least 3 miles across but if you measure the local council area is is about 6 miles East West and 10 miles North South, is anywhere in that area local?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

JamJar wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:30 pm This shows the problem with the rules/guidance, what is local? My town is at least 3 miles across but if you measure the local council area is is about 6 miles East West and 10 miles North South, is anywhere in that area local?
My local council area extends 200yds one way from my house and 55 miles the other way.
Honda Owner
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

We are turning into a nation of whiners, snitches and nazis ...sooner or later nobody will be allowed outside of their gate without a note from the local commissar...

A sense of perspective would be helpful but instead Derbyshire police and lots of the public are happy to pounce on a couple of people being sensible while ignoring blatant rule breaking by large groups hanging around the streets.

With no definition of ‘local’ I would be having my day in court .
Last edited by Gedge on Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:32 pm
My local council area extends 200yds one way from my house and 55 miles the other way.
Exactly my point is anywhere in your local council area local? It has local in its description!
cheb

Post by cheb »

At least I know where the boundaries of my local area are.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Everyone thinks they're being sensible and it's "other people" causing problems and spreading the virus.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:37 pm Everyone thinks they're being sensible and it's "other people" causing problems and spreading the virus.
Well, I'd say they were being sensible. Less chance, in my opinion, of catching or passing out for a walk outdoors than shopping in Sainsbury's.

Anyhow, I'd give it a couple of days and Derbyshire plod will roll over and drop all charges. They may be zealots, but they can't be that PR stupid, surely.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

gremlin wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:39 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:37 pm Everyone thinks they're being sensible and it's "other people" causing problems and spreading the virus.
Well, I'd say they were being sensible. Less chance, in my opinion, of catching or passing out for a walk outdoors than shopping in Sainsbury's.

Anyhow, I'd give it a couple of days and Derbyshire plod will roll over and drop all charges. They may be zealots, but they can't be that PR stupid, surely.
Based upon some of their previous exploits I think they probably are....
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

If you drive somewhere to then exercise by walking, then you've deffo missed the point. Well done Derbyshire Police.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

It's all about interpretation isn't it. Derbyshire police seem to have a Stasi interpretation and like Gedge, I'd have my day in court.

We have them here too - not the Jandarma, they're pretty cool (you can read that as not wanting to do too much work :D ) but expats mostly. On lockdowns we can go out for essentials which is interpreted as the chemist or baker's mostly. Bread is an essential of course. The rules say though that it must be within walking distance and anywhere in this village is walking distance. But to limit my exposure I pop down to the baker's on my electric scoot . . .

. . . and get a hard time for it because some holier than thou dickheads think that as it must be walking distance, I should walk. :lol: You couldn't make it up.

I'm going out tonight and will break the curfew or stay over and stop off at the baker's tomorrow morning - all nice and legal like. :P
Last edited by Yambo on Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Taipan wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:21 pm If you drive somewhere to then exercise by walking, then you've deffo missed the point. Well done Derbyshire Police.
You'll have to explain to me why leisure centres and gyms have big parking areas then.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yambo wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:24 pm
Taipan wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:21 pm If you drive somewhere to then exercise by walking, then you've deffo missed the point. Well done Derbyshire Police.
You'll have to explain to me why leisure centres and gyms have big parking areas then.
I really shouldn't have to...
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yambo wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:24 pm