Rockshox token advice

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
Mr Moofo

Rockshox token advice

Post by Mr Moofo »

I have Pikes with 140mm travel - recently serviced etc.
I have Ben running with between 2 or 3 tokens in - shock wiz tells me 2 - but with the correct amount of sag, I never use the last 3 cm or so of travel.
Now, that could be the way the forks work - but if you empty the air from the forks completely the compress all the way to the crown. I accept that you don’t want that happening on the trail ...

For those in the know - what happens if I run no tokens. I realise that the compression will be much more linear than with the tokens in. But for a given PSI will I get near full travel?
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Rockshox token advice

Post by weeksy »

Really not done much with fork internals at all, but it's very rare me or the boy use the full travel on ours, he's got Pikes, i've got Yaris, on the other side, we both regularly bottom out the back on bigger stuff, although it's very very marginal, it's usually 95%+ used, but sometimes 100%. On the front though i'd say we've got about 20mm left in general.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

okay - perhaps I can tune. I would expect 20mm left - as the air kind of has to compress into something.
I have taken the tokens out - let's see what happens when I can ride again ...
millemille

Post by millemille »

I've had exactly the same with both Rockshox and Fox forks, correct sag with several tokens in and not using the last 25% of the travel no matter how hard I rode. Ended up running no tokens at all and using 90% of the travel and the feel was soooooo much better...
Mister

Post by Mister »

what happens if I run no tokens.
Try it and see.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

It actually seems to work well tokenless
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Mr Moofo wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:47 pm It actually seems to work well tokenless
I wonder if it is because I am heavy - so 100kgs. So logic would say that you need more tokens the lighter you are to get the right sag and progressiveness.
I also run a Cane Creek rear shock - with no volume reducers ( and shockwizz suggest that I need less!)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Not sure mate, I don't know much about find tuning it all
flicker

Post by flicker »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:09 am
Mr Moofo wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:47 pm It actually seems to work well tokenless
I wonder if it is because I am heavy - so 100kgs. So logic would say that you need more tokens the lighter you are to get the right sag and progressiveness.
I also run a Cane Creek rear shock - with no volume reducers ( and shockwizz suggest that I need less!)
That would tally up with my own findings. I run approx 55 psi on my pikes for the correct sag but need three tokens or I bottom out the forks, I'm 63kg.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

flicker wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:02 am
Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:09 am
That would tally up with my own findings. I run approx 55 psi on my pikes for the correct sag but need three tokens or I bottom out the forks, I'm 63kg.
Great - maybe I am beginning to understand what tokes do ...
three tokens in - and at the right sag, I get very little fork travel in the last 1/3 ...