front brake guard potentially required for ALL trackdays @ MSV

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
weeksy
Site Admin

front brake guard potentially required for ALL trackdays @ MSV

Post by weeksy »

From what I've read online, it looks like we'll have to fit a brake lever protector even for track days. From the MSV track day page FAQ's:

The Bike. All bikes must be fit for purpose. If it has a rear brake light then it must be working. The bike including tyres must be in a good serviceable condition both mechanically and bodily and suitable for its intended use on the track. It is 'your' duty to ensure that the vehicle remains in this condition for the duration of the activity, in the interests of your safety and the safety of others at the circuit. Touring bikes must remove any luggage boxes and trikes are not permitted. From Jan 2021 all bikes must have a front brake lever guard fitted.

This sort of thing.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: front brake guard potentially required for ALL trackdays @ MSV

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

If that's what they want I'll fit one, I don't think it will add to my safety in any way, I do wonder what people with immaculate road bikes will do, especially on bikes without handlebar end weights - this will mostly be classic bikes
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Pretty much that.. if it's the difference between being allowed out or not then i don't see much choice. But i don't see me leaving it on after the day.
Le_Fromage_Grande

It'll be a handy thing to put a tie down round when the bike is on the trailer.
Also what constitutes a brake lever guard - would a bent piece of Meccano count?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Hope they don't ban the wings I'm gonna buy.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Be interesting to see if they insist on them for the Ride Skills groups out on track at Brands, as these are technically MSV trackdays. We adhere to their rules on leathers and cameras.
Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:08 pm Also what constitutes a brake lever guard - would a bent piece of Meccano count?
One of my old handlebar muffs? :)
Le_Fromage_Grande

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:36 pm Be interesting to see if they insist on them for the Ride Skills groups out on track at Brands, as these are technically MSV trackdays. We adhere to their rules on leathers and cameras.
I think you'll have to, I suspect it's that as time goes on there will be a gradual slide towards track day bikes being scrutineered and having to be lock wired etc. for me this isn't a problem as I have a dedicated track bike that I've no intention of changing and one of my other bikes is an ex proddie racer so is already fully track prepared, but it makes using a road bike for an occasional track day a less attractive proposition.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:08 pm It'll be a handy thing to put a tie down round when the bike is on the trailer.
Also what constitutes a brake lever guard - would a bent piece of Meccano count?
Depends how they're being scrutineered. The answer from when I was involved with it would be that a bent piece of meccano won't count. "robust, not flexible, securely fixed" were all part of the requirement. You've all got Mr Fenati to thank for this* - it's to do with accidental triggering of the front brake, not protection for the lever in a crash.

*and the constant rubbing of fairings at Moto3 generally.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The Scottish ACU made them mandatory a couple of years back and the proper ACU last year iirc.

I remember when you had to pass scrutineering to do a trackday... I believe they stopped it due to insurance issues. You could sue them if a bit fell off your bike after they'd said it was safe, or something.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

lostboy wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:15 pm
Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:08 pm It'll be a handy thing to put a tie down round when the bike is on the trailer.
Depends how they're being scrutineered. The answer from when I was involved with it would be that a bent piece of meccano won't count. "robust, not flexible, securely fixed" were all part of the requirement. You've all got Mr Fenati to thank for this* - it's to do with accidental triggering of the front brake, not protection for the lever in a crash.

Thoughts are, it was a bloke who was killed at Snett last year, how true that is I don't know
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

weeksy wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:24 pm
lostboy wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:15 pm

Thoughts are, it was a bloke who was killed at Snett last year, how true that is I don't know
It's the trackday scene catching up with racing...... call it trickle down. First time we were in the pits there was no requirement, the next year it was there - this was, in honesty, slightly before the Fenati incident but was down to the number of "triggers" because of bikes clashing, particularly in corners and in Moto3. Post Fenati the rule evolved and the shape bend got longer across the front of the lever.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:22 pm The Scottish ACU made them mandatory a couple of years back and the proper ACU last year iirc.

I remember when you had to pass scrutineering to do a trackday... I believe they stopped it due to insurance issues. You could sue them if a bit fell off your bike after they'd said it was safe, or something.
I've done trackdays since 1982 and never seen scrutineers.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Yorick wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:32 pm I've done trackdays since 1982 and never seen scrutineers.
I have. Most of my trackdays were at Cadwell in the late 90's and early 00's. Bikes were always checked over in the same shed they used for racing and people sent home if the bikes weren't up to scratch.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:36 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:32 pm I've done trackdays since 1982 and never seen scrutineers.
I have. Most of my trackdays were at Cadwell in the late 90's and early 00's. Bikes were always checked over in the same shed they used for racing and people sent home if the bikes weren't up to scratch.
Hmm. I did about 50 days there between 2000 and 2002.
Nada.
I started instructing in 2003 and deffo none.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'm not making it up.

Obviously different organisers had different rules.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:45 pm I'm not making it up.

Obviously different organisers had different rules.
I know you're not - Ixion always have done it and still are , bike and riding kit
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I did my very first trackday with Ixion at Cadwell, iirc it was £50 :)
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Still the lowest cost MSV days anywhere, think this year's were £220 for a Thurs and Friday in August, including Thursday Eve too and if course the usual nerdy / bad taste T-Shirt....
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

No Limits seem to be pushing this too now as they're giving 50 sets away 'free' if you buy some of their new tyres.

Something i guess we all need to look into then over winter.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Surely if you are close enough to catch your brake lever on another bike on a trackday it's all gone horrifically wrong already? Sounds like a rule for rules sake.