Dovi Taking a Year Off.

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Yorick

Dovi Taking a Year Off.

Post by Yorick »

https://www.bikesportnews.com/news/news ... -in-motogp

I like the lad, but he's a bit of an engima. Many wins. I was there at Donny when he won on the Honda.

The report up there suggests he was far from happy at Ducati.

But in a year will he get a competitive ride? Every bugger has won a race this year so maybe he'll be seen as past it?

Hmmmm.
Skub

Re: Dovi Taking a Year Off.

Post by Skub »

More seats will be available by 2022,so I reckon he's been offered something,but all the bums have seats for next year. Maybe Vinales job,if he doesn't shape up?
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Nah, he's done, move on.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I heard he'd taken a ride in ThunderSport 500.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

weeksy wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:58 pm Nah, he's done, move on.
As harsh as that sounds I'm afraid I agree with Weeksy. Couldn't get it over the line in the last few years despite thinking that he could change a factory that doesn't listen to it's riders and too many very talented young bucks coming through Moto3 and Moto2 to take the spaces. I think the next few seasons will see a significant change in the constitution of the grid as the teams work out which ones are a "one season wonder" and which have some longevity.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

lostboy wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:11 am
As harsh as that sounds I'm afraid I agree with Weeksy. Couldn't get it over the line in the last few years despite thinking that he could change a factory that doesn't listen to it's riders and too many very talented young bucks coming through Moto3 and Moto2 to take the spaces. I think the next few seasons will see a significant change in the constitution of the grid as the teams work out which ones are a "one season wonder" and which have some longevity.
A much better version of mine. My only worry though is what happens to everyone who isn't 'quite' there. Be it someone like Bagnia, Lecuona, etc. They come in and don't quite make it to the level they need to make it in MotoGP, but you don't often see them step down to the level below, i think Syarhin is about the exception to this rule recently, but often they don't.

But there's only so many rides in GP available for them to move up to, it seems these days that they all are just "GP GP GP" rather than racing in the series below. Whether that's down to them or the teams etc i don't really know.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

weeksy wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:16 am
lostboy wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:11 am
A much better version of mine. My only worry though is what happens to everyone who isn't 'quite' there. Be it someone like Bagnia, Lecuona, etc. They come in and don't quite make it to the level they need to make it in MotoGP, but you don't often see them step down to the level below, i think Syarhin is about the exception to this rule recently, but often they don't.

But there's only so many rides in GP available for them to move up to, it seems these days that they all are just "GP GP GP" rather than racing in the series below. Whether that's down to them or the teams etc i don't really know.
I was going to put something similar - the best recent example of that is Frankie, he was on the verge of being tossed out having not "hit the ground running" and even at the start of this season people were questioning his position as he was eclipsed by Fabio, but he's proven his point very nicely. There are others. It's bizarre that Aprilia continue to invest in Aleix when he's never done it on any bike and the talk is of who will be the "other" rider when they need to bin him and start again. KTM have proven that if you've got the right riders and the bike is being developed properly that you can break in - but it took them a while and Pol is reaping the rewards from the work that he and Brad did and that Pedrosa then refined - Oliviera is also showing his worth. The media love to bang on about Binder but Miguel is handing it to him again.

The "backwards" move is a tough one. Obviously Tom Luthi did it, as did the Fish and, perhaps most relevantly for us, Sam Lowes but Moto2 is a super-competitive class and it's very difficult to drop back into it and have the same level of fight. The first two prove that - they are nowhere this year. This is what makes Sam's season so special this year.

The days of "ride blocking" are becoming numbered. Petrucci sliding back down the pack (he should never have been up there) proves the point. Whether Ducati have selected the right riders and whether they'll start listening to them is another matter..........
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Latest rumour is that Dovi's management are looking at legal action against Ducati over their handling of the contract discussions

Cant find the link anymore so it might have been deleted
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bigyin wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:52 pm Latest rumour is that Dovi's management are looking at legal action against Ducati over their handling of the contract discussions

Cant find the link anymore so it might have been deleted
https://www.gpone.com/en/2020/11/13/mot ... ll-kill-me
crust

Post by crust »

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

crust wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:03 pm He's gonna get dirty :clap:

https://gatedrop.com/?s=dovi&x=6&y=8#.X7LKXeenxPY
Clearly from the SM stuff and the MX park stuff they do, they as MGP riders seem to transfer skills really well, so will be interesting to see how he goes.

I assume Ducati won't be building him a bike
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

crust wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:03 pm He's gonna get dirty :clap:

https://gatedrop.com/?s=dovi&x=6&y=8#.X7LKXeenxPY
He'll be dirty alright, covered in other riders roost, MX racing at GP level is tough, the first lap is very much elbows at dawn.
Honda Owner