Year of Manufacture from VIN number

Anything you like about motorbikes
GuzziPaul

Year of Manufacture from VIN number

Post by GuzziPaul »

I'm trying to find the year of manufacture of my Yamaha DT175MX. Its Y reg (82) bought my my best mate as a special order from Five Ways in Hull and was given to me after he was killed riding another bike. The model years were from '78 to '82 and I'm hoping year of manufacture was '81 as I want to start the process of getting it registerd as an historic vehicle.

After a long Google search the only vin year checks I can find are american, or confirm that the model started manufacture in 1978. It has a rectangular box section swinging arm so is certainly one of the later models. Is there any other web site I can get the manufacturing date short of joining the Yamaha owners club?
VIN is 2K40652xx, keeping the last two numbers secret
Nidge

Re: Year of Manufacture from VIN number

Post by Nidge »

I think the VJMCC provide a dating service from VIN
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Maybe ask Yamaha UK?
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Had a look at both the Yamaha and VJMCC sites, £50 from Yamaha with a 6 to 8 week turnaround and £45 from the VJMCC with a discount for members, so it it will cost me slightly less than I'll save if I can get it changed to an Historic vehicle :( that won't need an MOT or Tax. I'm hoping I can confirm it was built in '81 so it can be historic from '82. Might just have to wait.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

THe Aircooled RD club will definitely do it for any (air-cooled or water-cooled) RD, not sure if they'll be able to do DTs too, but worth a try- will cost you £30 if they can, which includes a year's membership - worth asking the question anyway.

The man you need to ask there is Paul Dawkins, email dating.officer@aircooledrdclub.org.uk
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

According to what I've found 2K4 covers DT175s from 1978 to 1984, so you're down to what colour scheme is it and what the frame number is.
Engine and frame number should match.
Try asking a friendly Yamaha dealer that's been in business for a long time, they may have the micro fiches.
Honda Owner
cheb

Post by cheb »

Tricky wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:31 pm THe Aircooled RD club will definitely do it for any (air-cooled or water-cooled) RD, not sure if they'll be able to do DTs too, but worth a try- will cost you £30 if they can, which includes a year's membership - worth asking the question anyway.

The man you need to ask there is Paul Dawkins, email dating.officer@aircooledrdclub.org.uk

That^ He did my TDR and my DTR, excellent service.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

I've had two air cooled RDs an RD250E and a 400E both white and red and one after another. If a 400 came up I might be tempted to buy one again prefered it/them to the RD250LC I had. And if I joined the club there would be even more pressure :) although the wife might think otherwise ;) as i've got three bikes as it is and not enough time to ride them.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

GuzziPaul wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:08 pm I've had two air cooled RDs an RD250E and a 400E both white and red and one after another. If a 400 came up I might be tempted to buy one again prefered it/them to the RD250LC I had. And if I joined the club there would be even more pressure :) although the wife might think otherwise ;) as i've got three bikes as it is and not enough time to ride them.
Weird, I had two RD400s while I had a 250LC, I thought the LC was a much better bike and was nearly as fast as either of the 400s - I really failed to see why people liked air cooled RDs
Honda Owner