What have you done to your bicycle today ?

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
Mr Moofo

Re: What have you done to your bicycle today ?

Post by Mr Moofo »

weeksy wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:29 am
Mr Moofo wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:24 am I have two Ergons - they are not bad for 1.5 hrs
I have a Brooks Cambium cut out which is proving to be the best.
The Privateer has a Fabric Saddle on it. It is torture!
What Ergons ?
got to go and have a look - one is on the Bfe - it might be an SM1
the other has bent rails - but nor sure.
Certainly better that Charge / Fabric
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Holy thread resurrection Batman

So the shifting on the Curtis has been off for a few months, nothing to dramatic, just not right, I fiddled with the AXS micro shift adjustment to no avail but last week the shifting went properly erratic, skipping gears so you'd have to double shift and then one gear back etc. Couldn't see anything obvs so today (having kicked the corner of the bed this morning and having a black little toe nail so no riding) stripped off the mech, chain and cassette. After a monster clean the cassette came up spotless after about 200g of PTFE lube gunk came out the back of the cassette along with assorted twigs and grass stalks. Chain cleaned and still passing chain check. Rear mech cleaned of more summer lube gunk.

I reassembled the whole thing and the shifting was still pants so a quick google suggested b tension was out. Now its pretty much set and forget on AXS so I dug the B tension alignment gauge and checked it, it was nearly 10mm out!!! It was a good few turns to get it in gauge, I've no idea how it had unscrewed itself as the screw has blue goo on the thread. Something to watch in future. Shifting was back to its flawless self once I'd finished.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Fitted a new 46T chainring onto the donkey turbo trainer bike today. Needed some more gears than the 42T as I was spinning out on the new Zwift Hub turbo at 350w.
Some nice new bolts as well and happy days.
crust

Post by crust »

Giant road bike (zwift mule) has been getting a bit noisy so it got some love today, but not enough, wasn't just the rear mech and chain needing a good clean and lube. So stuck a new rear mech on, deep cleaned the chain and set up the gears. Then onto the net and a new front ring, cassette and bottom bracket are on the way.
So on to the Fish, was intending to stick the rear mech from the Giant on to it, new cassette and chain. Before I could get stuck into that I noticed how crunchy the rear wheel was, so stripped down the rear hub and have ordered new bearings.
Hopefully will have all bikes up and running sweet for when the nice weathers here.
MingtheMerciless

Lovely weather so outside Curtis BB service today, nice and straight forward, note to self muc-off degreaser spray has a homing ability for unshielded eyes.....OUCH!

Rear wheel was a bit noisy so took it off, its an Onyx Vespa hub so not built like a normal hub, Freehub came off, dodgy bearings in one end, the outer shaft bearing was also a proper squaring. Inner shaft came out OK and the NDS bearing was kaput, bearing on the Freehub side was OK and then the outer sprag assembly self destructed and tiny sprags and tiny little black rods fell on the patio. Massive magnet came out of shed and retrieved (some of) them. Phoned shop, much hilarity and ridicule, took wheel to shop with container for the escapees. LBS owner looked at bits ummed and ahhed and it looks like the outer sprag assembly has died. More ridicule , followed by we can fix it leave it with us.

Came home, have spare wheel with Curtis spacing so swapped cassette over, realigned brake, much tyre jizz and good to go for tomorrow.

I decided to ignore the headset as I was getting hot and bothered baking in the sun.
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Bled some Avid brakes for the first time. Lovely brake fluid shower !!
And yes, I was using the correct kit - but what a pain the arse they are.
Bleed port on the inside of the brake, so brake off, have to take the pads out, put in a piston retention block etc ....

All of this because the brake was rubbing intermittently - general on uphills! Found out on side of the 4 piston set up wasn't really moving. Managed to ge one of them going, lubed it, and the tried to free up the last one. Which was a complete bastard.
Eventually started moving - and then one of the other pistons escaped its zip tie and pissed brake fluid every where ...
MingtheMerciless

Mr Moofo wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:44 pm Bled some Avid brakes for the first time. Lovely brake fluid shower !!
Bleed port on the inside of the brake, so brake off, have to take the pads out, put in a piston retention block etc ....

All of this because the brake was rubbing intermittently - general on uphills! Found out on side of the 4 piston set up wasn't really moving. Managed to ge one of them going, lubed it, and the tried to free up the last one. Which was a complete bastard.
Eventually started moving - and then one of the other pistons escaped its zip tie and pissed brake fluid every where ...
Glad it wasn't just me today, I nearly had a full on Tasmanian Devil Mantrum when the sprags fell on the floor😂
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:00 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:44 pm Bled some Avid brakes for the first time. Lovely brake fluid shower !!

Glad it wasn't just me today, I nearly had a full on Tasmanian Devil Mantrum when the sprags fell on the floor😂
Mine wasn't helped by a lifeboat launch in the middle of it - and my wife have a pettit tatty over having to drive my car to pick up the dog ( don't ask!)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

What brakes?
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Rode it, really enjoy the lower powered and lighter e-bike

MingtheMerciless

Fitted a new Maxxis DHR2 with EXO+ to Mrs M's Levo, this was after the Dissector (horrible tyre) finally gave up the ghost with at least 3 anchovies in it, with one hole occasionally ejecting its bungs and an out of round wobble setting in.

I also tweaked the gears after a new gear cable stretched a bit.

The Evil needs a new rear tyre as that's out of round after the Peaks but I'm waiting for a new rear wheel to be built (as I suspect it'll be 6 months or so before i9 or Evil EU importer cough for a new wheel under warranty due to the spoke snapping issue it has).
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

The Deore brakes on the e-bike got new pads and a bleed. Properly got my moneys worth out of the last set of pads, I reckon 1 gentle wipe with a slightly rough rag and I would have been down to metal. :D

Now the brakes aren't rubbing so much I can hear that the freehub isn't sounding too good though so that's coming off for a clean later :roll:
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Well that’s me done. Pivot bearings swapped on Slayer, bottom bracket done on that too.

New tyres installed on the spare Privateer wheels. Headset/tool tightened
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

I have covered mine in Alps mud. FFS , it could have rained next week …
15 gbp for some Peaty’s wet weather lube 😏
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Good news is it might be sunny tomorrow 😏
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:38 am Good news is it might be sunny tomorrow 😏
We need pics and a report
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Later - just dealing with a wrist injury - broken or maybe just ligaments
Sitting is restaurant with a bag of frozen carrots on it!
MingtheMerciless

Mr Moofo wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:01 pm Later - just dealing with a wrist injury - broken or maybe just ligaments
Scaphoid? as per your strava? How did it happen?
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:01 pm Later - just dealing with a wrist injury - broken or maybe just ligaments
NOOOOOOOOOO

You daft bugger.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:52 pm
NOOOOOOOOOO

You daft bugger.
I expect he'll say (see other thread) 'Really, I'm old enough to know better'. :D