Sealmate Sealbuddy

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
The Spin Doctor

Sealmate Sealbuddy

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Has anyone used one of these things? https://sealmate.net/

The idea is that you poke 'em down the forkleg, and run them around inside the seal, thus removing particles of dirt that have got into the seal which are causing it to leak.

I've got a fork seal that's just leaving the merest smear of oil on the fork leg (it's barely detectable) and wondering whether it's worth trying.

Normally, I'd just stick new seals in but thanks to COVID cutting my training season in half, my income is going to be about half my outgoings this year so if I can save the fork strip and rebuild to next year, that would be a good thing for the bank balance.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
kendo57

Re: Sealmate Sealbuddy

Post by kendo57 »

Not tried a Sealbuddy but i had oil rings on my BMW XR [ quite a common problem on these] and used
some Silicon spray to clean around the seals . Worked fine.
I think there are some video's online were you make your own sealbuddy from a plastic bottle .

Looks a bit rough but
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Old wives trick to use a feeler gauge to clean the seals.
Skub

Post by Skub »

I have one....somewhere,but haven't had occasion to test it.

So that's +1 on the post count and no help at all. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Spooky, I’ve just bought one off eBay for the same reason. Bike failed it’s MOT yesterday so thought I would try this first.
I will update in a day or two when I’ve tried it.
I do recall doing something with some film many years ago and pulled lots of crap out which solved th leak so it might work.
Mick
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:52 am Has anyone used one of these things? https://sealmate.net/

The idea is that you poke 'em down the forkleg, and run them around inside the seal, thus removing particles of dirt that have got into the seal which are causing it to leak.

I've got a fork seal that's just leaving the merest smear of oil on the fork leg (it's barely detectable) and wondering whether it's worth trying.

Normally, I'd just stick new seals in but thanks to COVID cutting my training season in half, my income is going to be about half my outgoings this year so if I can save the fork strip and rebuild to next year, that would be a good thing for the bank balance.
Yes, I got one free with some fork seals, it did the best part of fuck all.
Honda Owner
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Yep, I've got one and leave it permanently in my off-roading jacket.
I've used it a good few times over the years and worked well (as does a cable tie, but you typically lose a good bit more oil with that method).
Obviously, if your seal is damaged this won't really help, but a fair bit of the time, the seal is fine, and its just a bit of shite in there, on the off-roader at least
The Spin Doctor

Thanks one and all.

I'll have a look at making my own from an old milk bottle carton.

The fork sliders are perfect, so it could be a worn seal but in my experience they usually go from working fine to p!ssing oil down the fork leg, and this is just a fine smear. So I'm wondering about some crap. The forks will get a strip but thanks to a lack of training income this year, that's going to have to wait till next year.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Got it!!!
With a lot of effort due to the fairing I managed to use it, dug out lots of crap from the oil seal. Need to do a few miles now to see if it’s fixed it.
Easy to use, notwithstanding the fairing in the way, seems to work well, not yet sure about fixing the issue though. Worthwhile purchase I think for not many pennies.
Cheers
Mick
Skub

Post by Skub »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:09 pm Thanks one and all.

I'll have a look at making my own from an old milk bottle carton.
The real thing is quite a bit thinner/softer than a milk carton,so the homemade jobbie may do damage,rather than help. The Sealmate only costs a few quid anyway.
Walt Whitman
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Bought one and used it on my Ducati 900SS that was leaking badly. It doesn't now.

Told my brother about it, and he borrowed it to attack the misting seals of his VFR and FJ. Both now mist free.

I remember the VD Supermoto trip down to the Ardeche where Pogie stopped the fork seals misting by using a strip of camera film*.

*Kids-ask your dad what this is.
The Spin Doctor

OK, moths evicted from wallet, I've bought a real one.

I'll report back :)

Thanks.
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

I used to cut a strip of 35mm film to clean out the seals on enduro bikes.
Skub

Post by Skub »

derek badger wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:58 pm I used to cut a strip of 35mm film to clean out the seals on enduro bikes.
Olde Pharte. :P
Walt Whitman
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Cut a milk bottle to make my own a couple of months ago. Works a treat and sorted out the misting fork seal, passed MOT straight off as well. Cost me nothing other than cutting time! And it did take out visible dirt from the seal, the stantions were fine, just dirty seal.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
crust

Post by crust »

Got one for the trail bike.

Use it from time to clean out the seals. Use a small pot of fork oil, dip it in it and give it a couple of turns, cleans and lubricates the seals.
Big Pete

Post by Big Pete »

derek badger wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:58 pm I used to cut a strip of 35mm film to clean out the seals on enduro bikes.
^^ this, especially the bit which is the leader, the emulsion tends to collect crap, but the main effect seems to be straightening out the fine edge on a seal. Newer seal designs seam more robust, so might be less of an effect tho.
The Spin Doctor

Thin strip of plastic with hook has now arrived... will tackle fork seal when it stops raining!
Skub

Post by Skub »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:43 pm Thin strip of plastic with hook has now arrived... will tackle fork seal when it stops raining!
Maybe a day towards the end of May,then?
Walt Whitman
ace llani

Post by ace llani »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:52 am Has anyone used one of these things? https://sealmate.net/

If it can pull dirt out, I can only imagine it will push far more in, which will then be trapped between the seal and the upper bush.

Quick fix but I'd be rebuilding them ASAP.

Will you rebuilld them yourself?