Motorcycle brands, popularity and Twitter

Anything you like about motorbikes
Hot_Air

Motorcycle brands, popularity and Twitter

Post by Hot_Air »

On Twitter, Spidi has about three thousand followers, and RST is approaching fifteen thousand Twitterati. But the big Twitter guns are Dainese (around 174,000 followers) and Alpinestars (winning with 176k followers).

Do these numbers indicate that the meaning of life is still 42?
KungFooBob

Re: Motorcycle brands, popularity and Twitter

Post by KungFooBob »

imho...

Dainese stuff is alright, if it fits.
Alpinestars stuff... if it costs under £500, it's average at best, over £500 and it's alright.
Spidi stuff is lovely.
RST stuff used to have a really bad, made in Pakistan rep, but more recently people seem to really rate it.

I've got a Dainese Leather jacket and the last two 1pc leathers were Spidi, can you tell?

Seriously tho', I reckon RST is the most listed in store and most sold kit in the UK, I expect they have the most UK followers.

A* and Dainese are proper traditional global brands, I'm not surprised they have the most followers.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I bought a Dainese suit last year, it's very nice, though I don't know that it's any better than the Swift race suit I had for years, though that had an RRP of £900 20 years ago, not that I paid £900 for it.
Honda Owner
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I wear my Alpinestars Dyno jacket as a casual jacket now. I bought it in 2000, twas the first expensive (for a 16 year old :D ) bit of bike kit I ever got.

I wouldn't especially rate it as a bike jacket any more, but it makes a pretty cool normal jacket with 20 years of wear on it. I'm considering getting it re-cut and sewn to make it fit a bit better.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:20 pmSpidi stuff is lovely.
There’s a lot to like about Spidi: I’ve worn their clobber, and their gloves have overtaken Held as my go-to for autumn/winter. Spidi gloves are my secret tactile indulgence :shhh:

With Spidi, I can have my tiramisu and eat it: the company’s crystal clear about CE ratings – transparency gives me trust in a brand – yet Spidi has the same luxury-feel as Dainese. When Dainese and Alpinestars were shirking CE standards, Spidi quietly got on with producing its Ergo 365 Pro clothing (level 2 PPE under the original, stricter CE standard).

And (Ducati branded) Spidi Carbo Track gloves were the first to achieve the maximum 5-star safety rating in MotoCAP tests. (Alpinestars GP Plus gloves have now caught up, but Dainese race gloves still languish with 2-star ratings.)

:?: But I wonder why Spidi has so few followers on Twitter? It’s prominent in MotoGP.
KungFooBob wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:20 pm Alpinestars stuff... if it costs under £500, it's average at best, over £500 and it's alright [...] RST stuff used to have a really bad, made in Pakistan rep, but more recently people seem to really rate it.
IMHO, you're right about Alpinestars: their top-of-the-range stuff seems top notch, but you get disproportionately worse materials used as you drop down the range. Is it made in different factories? And I agree about RST rising in the opinion polls. It must have had confidence in its (new) quality to be first out of the blocks to get everything CE-rated, and RST does well in MotoCAP tests.
Skub

Post by Skub »

I love my RST armoured jeans,great fit and all day comfort. I've had my share of the other brands and no beef with any of them,though I don't especially seek them out if I need anything.

I haven't owned any Spidi gear,but it's good to hear it's decent.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Hot_Air wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:14 pm On Twitter, Spidi has about three thousand followers, and RST is approaching fifteen thousand Twitterati. But the big Twitter guns are Dainese (around 174,000 followers) and Alpinestars (winning with 176k followers).

Do these numbers indicate that the meaning of life is still 42?
I didn't realise A* et al made motorcycles.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Where would RTL be without pedantry? :mrgreen:

Incidentally, "motorcycle brands" on Twitter brings up @RSTmoto at the top of the list. YTRMV (your Twitter results may vary).