What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Horse

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Horse »

cheb wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:51 pm
All this so it can be scrapped. It has to go to a registered scrapyard and that means a trip off island.
Could you not just SORN it, then hide it somewhere until it is forgotten, or can be dismantled?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Potentially saved a life or least a serious accident. Leaving the eastbound carriageway of the A27 on the slip road I came across a middle aged women coming the wrong way towards me. We both stopped. I can see her shouting at me and waving her arms, annoyed that I'm blocking her path. She attempts to go around me on my left so the white van behind me pulls out and blocks her path. Still angry she waves a dismissive arm and I lip read her saying "OK! I'll turn around then!". Off she goes in the right direction. I'll never know if she realised what happened.

The exit she took off of the roundabout pictured.
Attachments
Wrongway.jpg
Wrongway.jpg (315.12 KiB) Viewed 500 times
Lockdown refugee
cheb

Post by cheb »

Horse wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:23 pm
All this so it can be scrapped. It has to go to a registered scrapyard and that means a trip off island.
Could you not just SORN it, then hide it somewhere until it is forgotten, or can be dismantled?
I'm told there's a new buy back scheme so it suddenly it's worth £2K.

I would say thank you the taxpayers but I'm not seeing any of the cash so it's a disgraceful waste of public money.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

SL passed it's MOT, minor for a near the limit front nearside tyre, meh, looks fine to me.

I gave it a celebratory wash (well some forin men did).

I only took the pic cos it usually sits on the drive, but I had to move it to open the garage to shift some shite.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1685806993791.jpg
FB_IMG_1685806993791.jpg (172.45 KiB) Viewed 492 times
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

How much of a vehicle is needed to scrap it, could you just cut a few numbers out and take them to the scrappy?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Discovered I only rode 3,187 miles between June 1st 2022 & May 31st 2023 :(
cheb

Post by cheb »

Mussels wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:11 pm
How much of a vehicle is needed to scrap it, could you just cut a few numbers out and take them to the scrappy?

I think that would depend on how well you knew the scrappy. To claim the prize it has to have a current MOT test.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

A friend of mine has just had to close his back street garage, he had 20+ old shitters in various states of repair he was planning to fix one day.

He got £250 a piece for them, more than the current weigh in price.

Apparently the Gov are subsidizing some company's to scrap old cars like the old scrapage scheme.

All they do is cube them.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Really pleasant day completing a bunch of very mundane tasks, on a motorbike in the sunshine, while occasionally nipping back home to watch various motorsports :)
Potter

Post by Potter »

cheb wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:37 pm
Mussels wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:11 pm

I think that would depend on how well you knew the scrappy. To claim the prize it has to have a current MOT test.
A pass or just a test to prove the vehicle exists?

These days you'd struggle to find a vehicle with 12 months MOT that is under £2k.
cheb

Post by cheb »

I think it has to have a pass.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Having to deal with the ST transmission shitting the bed yesterday. Known issue, caused by a fucking computer. Downshifts from 5th to 4th feel like the vehicle was rear-ended by a big rig.
Still has warranty for 5 years & is actually booked in on the 13th for two other warranty issues.

They went from "Ford, where quality is Job #1" to "Ford, where quality is a total shitshow" a few years ago.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:18 pm Having to deal with the ST transmission shitting the bed yesterday. Known issue, caused by a fucking computer. Downshifts from 5th to 4th feel like the vehicle was rear-ended by a big rig.
Still has warranty for 5 years & is actually booked in on the 13th for two other warranty issues.

They went from "Ford, where quality is Job #1" to "Ford, where quality is a total shitshow" a few years ago.
I think the desperation to pass new emissions regs has caused a lot of trouble in the last few years, fitting unsuitable tech to make marginal gains. I guess your transmission thinks it's connected to a different engine.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mussels wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:30 pm I think the desperation to pass new emissions regs has caused a lot of trouble in the last few years, fitting unsuitable tech to make marginal gains. I guess your transmission thinks it's connected to a different engine.
It's certainly responsible for the idiocy of running engines on oil that is more like mineral spirits than an actual lubricant... 0W-5??? Give me a fucking break...

This 10R6 trans is fitted to three different models of Explorer (V6, 4-banger & hybrid) & each one requires a different amount of fluid, how the fuck is that a good idea?
AND.. To check the fluid level requires you lift the vehicle on a two post lift, remove the bolt that holds the dipstick in place, remove the dipstick from the bolt, stick that back in the hole to check level... then if all is well, put the dipstick back in the end of the bolt & screw that back into the trans.. AAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!

In other news... I've been diagnosing why the AC shit the bed in the SBH this week. A few things to check... only half of which I'm able to accomplish with this body.
Fuses & relays under the hood... Done & dusted
Pop the cover off the fan motor under the PAX side glove box... Done & dusted
Check shit under that cover.... Nope, not happening, I don't bend that shape these days, altho I can see the damn thing. FFS.
Check fuse panel in drivers side footwell... I managed to remove the cover, but can't bend to the right shape to even SEE the fucking fuses.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Moved a ton of top soil to fill the new raised beds Mrs.Skub has demanded and painted a cinder block wall,plus other assorted garden duties which have occupied the last week or so.

No rest for the wicked.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Skub wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:34 pm Moved a ton of top soil to fill the new raised beds Mrs.Skub has demanded and painted a cinder block wall,plus other assorted garden duties which have occupied the last week or so.

No rest for the wicked.
Stop posting on here and get on with it, you slacker! 😁
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:44 pm
Skub wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:34 pm Moved a ton of top soil to fill the new raised beds Mrs.Skub has demanded and painted a cinder block wall,plus other assorted garden duties which have occupied the last week or so.

No rest for the wicked.
Stop posting on here and get on with it, you slacker! 😁
I need to get her another job,so I stop being her hobby. :(
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:22 pm
Mussels wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:30 pm I think the desperation to pass new emissions regs has caused a lot of trouble in the last few years, fitting unsuitable tech to make marginal gains. I guess your transmission thinks it's connected to a different engine.
It's certainly responsible for the idiocy of running engines on oil that is more like mineral spirits than an actual lubricant... 0W-5??? Give me a fucking break...

This 10R6 trans is fitted to three different models of Explorer (V6, 4-banger & hybrid) & each one requires a different amount of fluid, how the fuck is that a good idea?
AND.. To check the fluid level requires you lift the vehicle on a two post lift, remove the bolt that holds the dipstick in place, remove the dipstick from the bolt, stick that back in the hole to check level... then if all is well, put the dipstick back in the end of the bolt & screw that back into the trans.. AAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!

In other news... I've been diagnosing why the AC shit the bed in the SBH this week. A few things to check... only half of which I'm able to accomplish with this body.
Fuses & relays under the hood... Done & dusted
Pop the cover off the fan motor under the PAX side glove box... Done & dusted
Check shit under that cover.... Nope, not happening, I don't bend that shape these days, altho I can see the damn thing. FFS.
Check fuse panel in drivers side footwell... I managed to remove the cover, but can't bend to the right shape to even SEE the fucking fuses.
I know what AC, PAX, and FFS is, and I’ve worked out that an ST is a bit like a “de luxe” or “super”, but not super what. But SBH? No idea.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Did some turning, milling, drilling and boring to make a thing to hold a thing on to a thing.
Attachments
poo.jpg
poo.jpg (219.47 KiB) Viewed 256 times
86660d2590848fe9e98ed4914e04b757.jpg
86660d2590848fe9e98ed4914e04b757.jpg (232.7 KiB) Viewed 256 times
02141b079d5b09365bc8a118bee2710e.jpg
02141b079d5b09365bc8a118bee2710e.jpg (222.45 KiB) Viewed 256 times
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Yesterday I went wakeboarding behind a speedboat. Getting up was NOT easy. I did manage it on the fourth attempt :bblonde: :bblonde:

My forearms are still pumped this morning !!

Last edited by Jody on Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.