Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Ditchfinder

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Ditchfinder »

I love broad beans, especially in a ham and broad bean risotto, but they are difficult to find fresh in this country (well up north anyway) yet we export or use as animal feed most of what we grow in the UK 😡

https://www.theguardian.com/science/art ... -scientist
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I really like broad beans as well, but the only way to get hold of them on a regular basis is in the frozen supermarket aisles. If I ever see them fresh I snap them up, but that doesn't happen often.

They're great in a green Thai curry.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I used to do PYO broad beans with my Mum when I was a kid. I'm gonna see if I can find somewhere to do it with Baby D, now I think on it :D

I suppose I could just grow them :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Those pods look so comfortable inside. :wub:
cheb

Post by cheb »

The water stop cock in my house. When the valve is open the lever is across the direction of flow and when closed it's in line with the direction of flow. Aha I thought, I'll take the handle off and rotate in 90 degrees on the shaft. Nope, it has a stadium shaped* driveshaft and socket not a square one.

*A similar shape to the pistons used in the Honda NR750 engine. They aren't oval, ovals are curved all round, stadiums have straight sides.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

cheb wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 7:25 am The water stop cock in my house. When the valve is open the lever is across the direction of flow and when closed it's in line with the direction of flow. Aha I thought, I'll take the handle off and rotate in 90 degrees on the shaft. Nope, it has a stadium shaped* driveshaft and socket not a square one.

*A similar shape to the pistons used in the Honda NR750 engine. They aren't oval, ovals are curved all round, stadiums have straight sides.
Weird. I wonder if the internal parts were assembled 90 degrees out somehow? (Or the wrong internals used).

Seems totally counter-intuitive to have the lever aligned that way.
non quod, sed quomodo
cheb

Post by cheb »

I doubt that much thought went into the manufacturing specs. It's not a quarter turn tap, just the usual windy up and own one.

I dealt with the wrongly aligned quarter turn taps soon after arrival.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

cheb wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 7:25 am stadiums
Stadia, surely. ;)

And with any mains tap, as long as it turns when needed, then it's a good 'un.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
cheb

Post by cheb »

Hypercorrection apparently: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercorrection

Not as bad as shouting 'Bravo' instead of 'Brava' at the opera though.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

An industrial ceramics academic at Leeds Uni insisted on pronouncing the word as keramics because 'the Greek root is keramos' (potter's earth). He wasn't the only one - it was a bit of an academic snobbery thing for a while. :roll:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
cheb

Post by cheb »

A bit like surgeons calling themselves Mr or Mrs as historically they weren't physicians.

But then most doctors aren't Doctors.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I've just had the 6th (I think) visit from the Stoves techs to fix my cooker. Their fault finding methods sounded normal to me so not a big rant about them but the problem turned out to be* loose power cables inside the cooker, not impressed with what is meant to be a premium brand.

* Needs more testing.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

The local boulangerie has no bread! None at all! Not one baguette!

Revolutions have started for less in France...
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Did they have any cake?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

B&Ms not having any Tingly Teds in! :x
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:18 pm Did they have any cake?
I had to make do with the last croissant.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:23 am An industrial ceramics academic at Leeds Uni insisted on pronouncing the word as keramics because 'the Greek root is keramos' (potter's earth). He wasn't the only one - it was a bit of an academic snobbery thing for a while. :roll:
Cementite, also known as iron carbide, is a hard, brittle, and metallic compound of iron and carbon with the chemical formula Fe3C.

Semen tite, as our lecturer called it.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Queueing at a fuel station! I mean, not the queueing per se, although it was bastard hot, but how people behave!!

When I go, if I have to use cash, I'll stop away from the pump is there is a queue, pay the cash, get the little ticket thing (from a sort of cash machine thingy) and then join the queue

Today there were queues at each side of all the pumps :roll: (and I'm in inappropriate kit on a hot Honda and it's nearly midday :roll: :roll: )

So I did that, went and got my top up ticket and sat in the queue. Luckily not in my queue, but a woman had waited for three other cars to fill up before she got to the pumps, THEN she got out and went to get the cash ticket thingy :angry-cussingblack: FFS, that's just rude!! If she'd been in front of my queue I think that by then I'd have squelched over and told her very politely that she's a dick and should consider getting the ticket first!! THEN when she'd got the ticket she then got back in the car to find some plastic gloves to put on before she did the fuelling :o :o :o

It's almost as bad as people who get back in the car and then sit whilst they note the mileage etc, reposition the seat and anything else they can think of before moving off! Have seen bikers fanny arse around getting sorted too. Just pull away to the area ahead where there's loads of space and no queue behind you so then do all the faffing!! :lol: I put the fuel in and refitted the tank bag, pulled off, then stopped in the space and sorted gloves etc etc!!

Some people are just rude!! :angry-cussingblack: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Something I want/need from IKEA not being available from my nearest one, and not being available for delivery either.

I'll either be driving to bloody Nottingham to pick it up, or finding somebody to blackmail who can pick it up from somewhere that has it in stock for me 🙃
Ian

Post by Ian »

The tit who bounces off the rev limiter when he reaches the speed camera up the road. Not because of the noise at all but because that's the usual noise when someone pulls out on a bike and knocks them off at the junction opposite. Sends a shudder down my spine every time.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Noggin wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:43 pm Queueing at a fuel station! I mean, not the queueing per se, although it was bastard hot, but how people behave!!

When I go, if I have to use cash, I'll stop away from the pump is there is a queue, pay the cash, get the little ticket thing (from a sort of cash machine thingy) and then join the queue

Today there were queues at each side of all the pumps :roll: (and I'm in inappropriate kit on a hot Honda and it's nearly midday :roll: :roll: )

So I did that, went and got my top up ticket and sat in the queue. Luckily not in my queue, but a woman had waited for three other cars to fill up before she got to the pumps, THEN she got out and went to get the cash ticket thingy :angry-cussingblack: FFS, that's just rude!! If she'd been in front of my queue I think that by then I'd have squelched over and told her very politely that she's a dick and should consider getting the ticket first!! THEN when she'd got the ticket she then got back in the car to find some plastic gloves to put on before she did the fuelling :o :o :o

It's almost as bad as people who get back in the car and then sit whilst they note the mileage etc, reposition the seat and anything else they can think of before moving off! Have seen bikers fanny arse around getting sorted too. Just pull away to the area ahead where there's loads of space and no queue behind you so then do all the faffing!! :lol: I put the fuel in and refitted the tank bag, pulled off, then stopped in the space and sorted gloves etc etc!!

Some people are just rude!! :angry-cussingblack: :lol: :lol: :lol:
During the week i had a guy at the Tesco pump in one of them two seater Smart car things drive to the second pump from the entrance. As i was turning up he was reversing back to the first pump as it was out of petrol, Diesel only. He stopped between the pumps and got out to fill up. OK fuck you mate. I drove round him and left my van at an angle across the front of his car and started to full up a large almost empty tank. The fucker had the cheek to give me the dirty looks when he walked past to pay. Unfortunately no one came up behind to prevent him from reversing back to pass me but FFS. Another six foot back he would have still been close the the filler cap and i could have parked flush to the pump.