Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mussels

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Mussels »

Not just Spain and Cornwall. Locals complain about house prices and seem to think barring lower spending visitors will fix everything, in reality the only way they will lower property prices is to make it less desirable to live in.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Taipan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:37 am Since we’ve been in Spain, my wife has said it’s like we’re invisible as we get passed over for service and told “we’re full” inrestaraunts that seemed to have obvious empty tables.

. I’d dismissed her claims until we ended up speaking to a bunch of people last night who were all saying the same. We we were then enlightened by a guy who told us in a lot of Spain there is a rebellion against tourism as a high percent of new builds go to holiday lets or bought by oversea buyers. 🫤

So there you have it, Spain is the new Cornwall!😁

They don't want your money, don't give them it.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mussels wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:25 am Not just Spain and Cornwall. Locals complain about house prices and seem to think barring lower spending visitors will fix everything
That'll work :clap: :thumbup:

‘A-listers are making our lives a misery’: how Mawgan Porth became Cornwall's ‘Hollywood-on-sea’

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/dest ... od-on-sea/
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

gremlin wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:03 am
Taipan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:37 am
We we were then enlightened by a guy who told us in a lot of Spain there is a rebellion against tourism as a high percent of new builds go to holiday lets or bought by oversea buyers. 🫤
Wear a sombrero and torture a donkey to death. They'll take you for a local.

Ahh. The tourism paradox. My mate from Cornwall sums it up nicely when he reverts back to West Country burr and says, 'Bloody Grockles, coming down here, causing traffic mayhem, pushing up prices, buying the houses, not respecting the locals....what's that dear? Another cream tea? Of course, m'dear, that'll be £12 please'.
Heard in a Dartmoor Pub “Cornwall, it’s just a council estate with a beach around the edges”.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

gremlin wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:03 am Ahh. The tourism paradox. My mate from Cornwall sums it up nicely when he reverts back to West Country burr and says, 'Bloody Grockles, coming down here, causing traffic mayhem, pushing up prices, buying the houses, not respecting the locals....what's that dear? Another cream tea? Of course, m'dear, that'll be £12 please'.
My loose B-I-L sold a really ordinary ex council maisonette, a stone's throw from Woolacombe beach, for many times the realistic price of a similar place slightly inland.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:33 am
gremlin wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:03 am Ahh. The tourism paradox. My mate from Cornwall sums it up nicely when he reverts back to West Country burr and says, 'Bloody Grockles, coming down here, causing traffic mayhem, pushing up prices, buying the houses, not respecting the locals....what's that dear? Another cream tea? Of course, m'dear, that'll be £12 please'.
My loose B-I-L sold a really ordinary ex council maisonette, a stone's throw from Woolacombe beach, for many times the realistic price of a similar place slightly inland.
What was that old joke from the 70's/80's that parodied the British Coal advert? 'Come home a real fire. Buy a holiday home in Wales'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meibion_Glynd%C5%B5r
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yambo wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:37 am
Taipan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:37 am Since we’ve been in Spain, my wife has said it’s like we’re invisible as we get passed over for service and told “we’re full” inrestaraunts that seemed to have obvious empty tables.

. I’d dismissed her claims until we ended up speaking to a bunch of people last night who were all saying the same. We we were then enlightened by a guy who told us in a lot of Spain there is a rebellion against tourism as a high percent of new builds go to holiday lets or bought by oversea buyers. 🫤

Yeahbutt were over here looking at areas to buy a place in. Looks like we’ll be as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit.🤨 But yeah, fuck ‘em, I’ll go to Portugal with its freezing Atlantic sea. That’ll learn em!😬
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Making poached eggs on toast.

Burnt the toast, plus both yolks broke getting the bastard things on the plate.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
cheb

Post by cheb »

1/ People who have no concept of the size of their rented motorhome.
B/ People who don't understand how to drive on singletrack roads.
iii/ People who can't reverse.

All three together? Three strikes and you're out. Tap tap. One to kill and the other to make sure.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Thankfully we're not in Spain ;)
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:43 am It's been on the news loads.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 2:01 pm
If you see something that goes against the rules, use the report button.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I was in Alicante recently and it was fine. Alicante seems to be a 'proper city' though, with quite a lot of Spanish tourists, so maybe this attitude is restricted to areas with primarily forrin tourists?
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Faceberk seems to increasingly be posts/articles from fairly obvious AI-generated content. Also copies of groups that you belong to, to sucker you in. No idea what the point of these are.

As if we needed more reasons to drop Faceberk. It was briefly just a convenient place to maintain contact with friends and local goings-on .....
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

The ren-0-isms have started.
The cruise control cuts out when you put the rh indicator on.
Came as a bit of a shock on the A89 at 0630 this morning at 130kmh
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Noggin wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 4:49 pm
gremlin wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 9:34 am
Noggin wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:01 pm just difficult when surrounded by young fit women, why would anyone choose the opposite?! :lol: :lol:
There you go, assuming all men are these shallow, degenerate creatures who have no interest in conversation, friendship and non-physical attraction. It's very hurtful.

You are a misandrist dinosaur who needs to evolve and get with the 21st century.

No sugar in mine. Ta.

;)
I am indeed. TBF, i have been on bike forums for 20+ years so I have read a lot of those opinions! (And my mum told me was too fat, laughed too loudly, had too big a smile/grin - when I was 16 ish - that didn’t help much 🙄🙄🤣🤣)

Oh and I worked with those sort of people for years.

But, I’m learning it’s all about confidence and mines coming back 😊😊

I will make yr tea but you can get yr own sodding bickies 🤣🤣🤣

(That’s a lie, I’ll probably make the biscuits as well 🤣🤣🤣🤣)

Sunny

Post by Sunny »

demographic wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:24 pm
Possibly my favourite Daily Mash clip, ever. 😎
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

gremlin wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:43 am
DefTrap wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:33 am
What was that old joke from the 70's/80's that parodied the British Coal advert? 'Come home a real fire. Buy a holiday home in Wales'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meibion_Glynd%C5%B5r
I have Welsh cousins who are mad Welsh Nationalists, they sent me a t-shirt that had "Red sky at night, Englishman's cottage alight" printed on it.
Taipan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 12:04 pm
Yambo wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:37 am

Yeahbutt were over here looking at areas to buy a place in. Looks like we’ll be as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit.🤨 But yeah, fuck ‘em, I’ll go to Portugal with its freezing Atlantic sea. That’ll learn em!😬
Portugal is a million times more friendly than Spain, despite the Brits trying to turn Albufeira into a shithole at every opportunity.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I quite like Albufeira.
You're totally right about the Brits (and Dutch to be fair) trying to ruin it. (The Strip is pretty horrendous, though out of season it's better). But the locals unflappable ability to be absolutely charming despite all this is a joy.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

We rented a Villa, literally a stones throw from the strip. We took our (grown up) kids with us and they loved it. They was round there every night on the karaoke and finished the night off with a kebab! Proper Brits abroad. :thumbup: :lol:

I do like Portugal and find it to be much better kept than Spain, irrigated, planted verges between the towns, things like that. But fook swimming in the Atlantic though. I swear its cold enough for polar bears. Its a deal breaker for us. Well, that and Albufeira and even Villamora was full of do-as-you-likeys

Until last week I'd never been to southern Spain, we'd always visited northern Spain around the Tarragona area and we've always found the people in that part of Spain to absolutely lovely and I think, overall, I prefer the Spanish to my own countrymen. We wanted to go further south to but a place to get the warmer weather in the winter, but southern Spain did little to charm us for that move. That said Malaga was a surprisingly lovely city with beautiful gardens and a great vibe to the place!