What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
hawker

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by hawker »

Today Ihave enjoyed being at home again after discharge from hospital having a plate put in my left forearm. The original cast was not holding the bones in place so they upped the treatment to surgery. It was, I'm told, more complex than expected but still went ell. No matter that though, it is many times more painful after the surgery than the original fracture was so am well stocked with pain relief for it.
Being a keen cyclist I asked what the plate was made of? Stainless steel of course, and they laughed at me when I said that I had hoped for a titanium plate to be stronger and lighter! Every gram counts when racing!! They thought I was joking!! :silent: Never mind, as long as it holds it together for long enough it will do!
At least I didn't ask for carbon fibre! :roll:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

hawker wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:40 pm Today Ihave enjoyed being at home again after discharge from hospital having a plate put in my left forearm. The original cast was not holding the bones in place so they upped the treatment to surgery. It was, I'm told, more complex than expected but still went ell. No matter that though, it is many times more painful after the surgery than the original fracture was so am well stocked with pain relief for it.
Being a keen cyclist I asked what the plate was made of? Stainless steel of course, and they laughed at me when I said that I had hoped for a titanium plate to be stronger and lighter! Every gram counts when racing!! They thought I was joking!! :silent: Never mind, as long as it holds it together for long enough it will do!
At least I didn't ask for carbon fibre! :roll:
what happened there ?
hawker

Post by hawker »

Hi Weeksy. As you know I sustained the severe head injury in 2012 and was warned about delayed effects. Well, in short, we think I blacked out at home because I somehow broke my left forearm and bruised my backside, probably from landing! I have no recollection of what happened an my wife was out. When she got home, saw my pain my swollen and deformed arm, the nurse in her took over and took me off to A & E.XS rays showed the fracture I had a cast for 12 days but at my check-up the bone-ends at the fracture site were distracting, meaning moving apart so they changed their plan to inserting a plate which they did last Sunday. I am off to my post-op check this minute so back later!
Cheers.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

hawker wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:17 am Hi Weeksy. As you know I sustained the severe head injury in 2012 and was warned about delayed effects. Well, in short, we think I blacked out at home because I somehow broke my left forearm and bruised my backside, probably from landing! I have no recollection of what happened an my wife was out. When she got home, saw my pain my swollen and deformed arm, the nurse in her took over and took me off to A & E.XS rays showed the fracture I had a cast for 12 days but at my check-up the bone-ends at the fracture site were distracting, meaning moving apart so they changed their plan to inserting a plate which they did last Sunday. I am off to my post-op check this minute so back later!
Cheers.
Ah bollox matey. I feel your pain as i'm in plaster currently too.
hawker

Post by hawker »

Hello again mate! The doctor was quite happy with how my arm looks but the wound has come open a bit which poses a major risk of infection at the site of the plate. They closed the hole as best as they could but it isn't pretty!! I have a new cast and will be checked again in 7 days. It still sodding well hurts a lot!! I cannot even train on my turbo for the time being so am very frustrated about my bike! :| Is it a winter rest period ? I'll catch up later I expect!
Cheers...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

hawker wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:58 pm Hello again mate! The doctor was quite happy with how my arm looks but the wound has come open a bit which poses a major risk of infection at the site of the plate. They closed the hole as best as they could but it isn't pretty!! I have a new cast and will be checked again in 7 days. It still sodding well hurts a lot!! I cannot even train on my turbo for the time being so am very frustrated about my bike! :| Is it a winter rest period ? I'll catch up later I expect!
Cheers...
I'm lucky in the fact I can actually ride both indoors and out. Not brilliantly but ok enough on the road.

However I'm 3 weeks in tomorrow, 2 weeks with new plaster and I'm losing my shit. I can't see me making the distance. I'll happily brace it, but every now and again I just want a decent wash, a relax, I dunno, just some fresh air on it
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Nothing special. Just a quiet ride with the missus
IMG-20200917-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20200917-WA0012.jpg (215.91 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
IMG-20200917-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20200917-WA0007.jpg (191.8 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
IMG-20200917-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20200917-WA0011.jpg (235.05 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
IMG-20200917-WA0010.jpg
IMG-20200917-WA0010.jpg (200.76 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Driving my personal Covid incubator about.....

"Does this bus go to the Titanic?"

"No missus, It's a submarine you need....."
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Driving down the hill to LAX with a quick side trip to VNY, then back up the hill.
Those who possess real knowledge are rare.

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:39 pm Driving down the hill to LAX with a quick side trip to VNY, then back up the hill.
Any hints ?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Certainly not Dan Brown's style of writing.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Daughter just got the keys to her new house,thought of buying this for her...

https://funnytillyoudie.com/products/it ... EnPin32ov4
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Skub wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:22 pm Daughter just got the keys to her new house,thought of buying this for her...

https://funnytillyoudie.com/products/it ... EnPin32ov4
better...

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Harry wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:26 am I've done both wrists.

On one of them I also cut my cast off early so I could go back to work - the hospital doctor refused to see me at that point because he said I was a moron, he literally asked me to leave when he'd seen that I'd cut it off.
Luckily it healed ok for me - although I get a really bad pain in my left wrist occasionally but I don't think that is because of the scaphoid.
Well, 3 weeks today since the break. I’ve had virtually no pain at all, the odd tiny twinge, that’s it.

With the Zwift riding, let’s just say the plaster isn’t nice. I’m struggling to not cut it off and use a strap brace/splint. I’d just like a decent wash really.
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Paid the last installment on a loan I took out 4yrs back to buy a car big enough for 3 kids and the MT09. To be honest I thought it was over 5yrs so it was a pleasant surprise to have the email confirming the balance was zero. I celebrated by giving the bike its annual ACF50 dousing. I've only managed about 6K on it in 4yrs, the Ford Galaxy however looks like it's done a tour of Afghanistan and then ram raided a cheerio factory.

Potter

Post by Potter »

derek badger wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:14 am
That looks 'Weeksy' clean.
I'm not sure my bikes are ever that clean even when they come from the factory :lol:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Im in the process of cooking a roast beef dinner with Yorkshire’s and cauliflower cheese on what must be the nicest day to have a bbq! My lot do love a roastie!!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Harry wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:21 pm
derek badger wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:14 am
That looks 'Weeksy' clean.
I'm not sure my bikes are ever that clean even when they come from the factory :lol:
Easy tiger, don't get carried away now

:thumbup:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

derek badger wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:14 am Paid the last installment on a loan I took out 4yrs back to buy a car big enough for 3 kids and the MT09. To be honest I thought it was over 5yrs so it was a pleasant surprise to have the email confirming the balance was zero. I celebrated by giving the bike its annual ACF50 dousing. I've only managed about 6K on it in 4yrs, the Ford Galaxy however looks like it's done a tour of Afghanistan and then ram raided a cheerio factory.

Bloody love the description of the Galaxy!! :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Went for a ride on the ST, hardly used it since getting it but I was off to Go Outdoors for some stuff for the campervan. Got home and decided to do all the little bits I’ve been putting off. Made some brackets to reattach the lower part of the fairing where the lugs had broken, both sides, fitted the seat properly to stop the rear plastics rattling, made a bracket for the side of the fairing, fitted some bar risers.
Bought about cleaning it, that didn’t happen.
Now sat in the garden with a beer.
Next, list all my camping stuff on various places as I won’t be going camping again!!
Oh, measured whether the bike will fit under the bed in the van, it might if I take the screen off, job for later in the week as we are going away in the van on a Tuesday, hopefully.
Mick.