What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Taipan

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Taipan »

Taipan wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:23 pm Im in the process of cooking a roast beef dinner with Yorkshire’s and cauliflower cheese on what must be the nicest day to have a bbq! My lot do love a roastie!!
Must be said, I smashed that right out of the park! Yorkshire’s like puffball mushrooms! Beef as tender as can be! Crispy roast spuds! Cauliflower cheese made with way too much mature cheddar! 🤩
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Cleaned the shower in the en suite, watched loads of bike racing and ate a full bag of jelly babies.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Messed around with central heating system:

Drained entire system
Replaced a duff two port valve
Added gate valves next to each 2-port valve (3 of them) to save draining down system if another 2-port valve packs in
Rehung a radiator after wallpapering
Removed another radiator and capped off the pipes with service valves (so I don’t have to drain it again to put in the new radiator)
Spent hours bleeding the bleeding system as the top 2 radiators always airlock - closing other zone gate valves solved issue so double win :thumbup: )

Dog has been walked, roast dinner consumed, Marvel film watched!
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

I hired a log splitter for the weekend. I had a massive pile of logs that I chainsawed 2 years ago and needed to split.

OMFG, I'm a broken man. A few friends commented on social media posts saying 'You should just use an axe.' Well, fuck them. It's taken 2 solid days. It was not how it was in my mind's eye. It's all oak btw, so very heavy, very dense and, it seems, not happy about being split. The log splitter machine thingy failed on several occasions to actually split the stuff. I reckon it'd take me a year with an axe.

But anyway, all done. I ran out of space on my pallets so there's another huge pile out of shot. And they may look small in the photo, but the back row at least is all about 18" long. My blisters have got blisters.

MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Taipan wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:47 pm
Taipan wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:23 pm Im in the process of cooking a roast beef dinner with Yorkshire’s and cauliflower cheese on what must be the nicest day to have a bbq! My lot do love a roastie!!
Must be said, I smashed that right out of the park! Yorkshire’s like puffball mushrooms! Beef as tender as can be! Crispy roast spuds! Cauliflower cheese made with way too much mature cheddar! 🤩
I did butterflied leg of lamb for my oldies on the BBQ yesterday, was Bob on.
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

Slenver wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:47 pmImage
Definite Log Pile envy. ;)
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

Slenver wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:47 pm I hired a log splitter for the weekend. I had a massive pile of logs that I chainsawed 2 years ago and needed to split.

OMFG, I'm a broken man.
Normally I'd say you need to let it dry for a bit longer if it's that hard to split, but two years isn't a bad shift :lol:

You know what they say, wood warms you up more than once.

....when you chop the tree....
....when you split it....
....when you stack it....
....when you burn it....
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

1888 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:17 pm Need a hand petal :lol:

Haha :) That axe, that pose and those logs are most definitely in no way connected!
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

chutzpah wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:31 am Normally I'd say you need to let it dry for a bit longer if it's that hard to split, but two years isn't a bad shift :lol:
Yeah. I was thinking that I should've done it earlier but I don't think it would've been possible. I was hoping to burn them this winter but think they need another year now that they're split.

But this time next year, Rodney! We'll be toasty.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

1888 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:17 pm
Need a hand petal :lol:

you've got bigger tits than I expected :ugeek:
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

Slenver wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:37 am
chutzpah wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:31 am Normally I'd say you need to let it dry for a bit longer if it's that hard to split, but two years isn't a bad shift :lol:
Yeah. I was thinking that I should've done it earlier but I don't think it would've been possible. I was hoping to burn them this winter but think they need another year now that they're split.

But this time next year, Rodney! We'll be toasty.
I quite enjoy splitting logs. I don't do it enough to be super good at it, but find it very satisfying especially those moments you get it just right. And I love that sensation on a really cold day, starting off with layers and a body warmer and ending up in just a t-shirt in freezing temperatures. Yes, I know this is beginning to sound like an erotic novel.

I find unsplit logs quite hard to come by, I guess because by the time they've stored them long enough to season them it's not much more cost to split using machinery and make a lot more per bag. A local tree surgeon here will sell unsplit loads but it's literally a tipper truck to cut further, season and then split yourself, and I don't have the space for that.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

chutzpah wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:30 amI quite enjoy splitting logs. I don't do it enough to be super good at it, but find it very satisfying especially those moments you get it just right. And I love that sensation on a really cold day, starting off with layers and a body warmer and ending up in just a t-shirt in freezing temperatures. Yes, I know this is beginning to sound like an erotic novel.

I find unsplit logs quite hard to come by, I guess because by the time they've stored them long enough to season them it's not much more cost to split using machinery and make a lot more per bag. A local tree surgeon here will sell unsplit loads but it's literally a tipper truck to cut further, season and then split yourself, and I don't have the space for that.
I know what you mean - the right wood, well enough seasoned is very satisfying to crack open. This wasn't that though. Any attempts with an axe just meant one good thud and 10 minutes trying to get the axe back out again! Even the splitter was just sort of mangling its way slowly through rather than actually doing a nice split.

I had some Scots Pine as well though, some of which is on the ground in that photo. That was a joy. The splitter would pretty much just tap on the top and it'd fall apart. I could get through that about 5 times quicker than the oak.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I was watching some program on dmax after my op and it was about homesteaders in various places and one of their topics was seasoning wood and most said 3 years minimum for oak and hickory. S'funny as i never thought i'd get to share that info in any helpful way! :lol:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Fruit wood is a sod for splitting, even with a splitting mawl.

Today I have mostly ridden the bike to work. It was lovely and clear at home but within a mile it was a pea souper of a mist for the next 30 miles, got bloody cold and ruddy wet in my mesh jacket :wtf:
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Silly Car wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:37 pm Messed around with central heating system:

Drained entire system
Replaced a duff two port valve
Added gate valves next to each 2-port valve (3 of them) to save draining down system if another 2-port valve packs in
Rehung a radiator after wallpapering
Removed another radiator and capped off the pipes with service valves (so I don’t have to drain it again to put in the new radiator)
Spent hours bleeding the bleeding system as the top 2 radiators always airlock - closing other zone gate valves solved issue so double win :thumbup: )

Dog has been walked, roast dinner consumed, Marvel film watched!
Today, I replaced the valve washers on the pump which had started to seep, probably due to me man handling the pump but not excessively.

Fibre washers really are shit... inlet washer sheared due to twisting. It has now been now replaced with a rubber one.
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

Two day rideoutcurrently holed up near Ambleside after a spiffing day out in the sun Dales first then lakes tomorrow a hoefully dryrun somewhere on the way homeo{img}

https://app.photobucket.com/u/rodbargee ... f0c39{/img}
Shot in grasmerebutcant getcorrect code offthe mob
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

Cant compete with the logsplitter :shifty: But just spent a couple of days off on the bikes in the Dales and the lakes played in the Dales yesterday and lakes this morning and afternoon stayed near Ambleside the place was Rammed! not representative of the lakes but this was a stop off in Grasmere yesterday Hawes was the busist I've ever seen it on a weekday.

Had a very silly ten minutes between Catterick racecourse And Yarm on the way back too
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Commuted on my CBR600 for the first time and confused the hell out of the auto exercise detection on my fitbit...

Didn't think I was riding particularly energetically but my heartrate clearly disagrees (resting heart rate for me is mid 60s) :D

Think it's mostly down to the shockingly unsticky front tyre and my cackhanded been-away-too-long riding. Its gone all blutac bobbly even riding to work. Probably way over inflated too.

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Got something injected in my left knee by Ortho.

Doing better than the 81yo bloke across the road who apparently carked it this morning. Cops still parked outside the house & there's been a lot of visitors.

"902R....30th Street West and Avenue K (Helen Ln)...male 81 years old not breathing....sheriff and FD enroute code 3

UPDATE: code 4, FD on scene and handling"
Those who possess real knowledge are rare.

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Today I listened to the HR lady casually drop into conversation that we will be doing unconscious bias training. This could get interesting.