Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

cheb wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:38 am How long does the bus journey take?
Hopefully less than 30 mins each way.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:39 am
cheb wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:38 am How long does the bus journey take?
Hopefully less than 30 mins each way.
That's a very one sided view.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Oft repeated jokes.

I have one colleague who, whenever I plug my helmet in to charge, will make a Sid James-esque quip along the lines of, 'Oooh. Juicing up your helmet?' or 'I may have to manhandle your helmet'.

It may have been mildly amusing the first 500 times, but after years of hearing it, it gets really tiresome. :roll:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
McNab

Post by McNab »

gremlin wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:31 am Oft repeated jokes.

I have one colleague who, whenever I plug my helmet in to charge, will make a Sid James-esque quip along the lines of, 'Oooh. Juicing up your helmet?' or 'I may have to manhandle your helmet'.

It may have been mildly amusing the first 500 times, but after years of hearing it, it gets really tiresome. :roll:
It's similar to those "Can you do mine next?" when you are washing the car/bike. They think they are amazingly funny but it's not the first time I've heard it, probably not even the first time I've heard it that day.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

At work I often used to get introduced as our resident biker and then people nearly always said I bet you've got a Harley Davidson? :think: I'm quite clean cut looking if anything and beer gut aside, I don't look anything like the stereotypical Harley Dude? Do non biker people always assume bikers only ride Harleys? Anyway, it got on my nerves after a while and I asked my Director to stop introducing me as a resident biker, not hat I've got anything against bikers, or harleys or harley riders, it just grated after a while.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:53 am At work I often used to get introduced as our resident biker and then people nearly always said I bet you've got a Harley Davidson? :think: I'm quite clean cut looking if anything and beer gut aside, I don't look anything like the stereotypical Harley Dude? Do non biker people always assume bikers only ride Harleys? Anyway, it got on my nerves after a while and I asked my Director to stop introducing me as a resident biker, not hat I've got anything against bikers, or harleys or harley riders, it just grated after a while.
Generally speaking... Harleys are the only brand most of the general public are aware of, if they've had absolutely zero experience of bikes in the rest of their lives.
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:09 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:53 am At work I often used to get introduced as our resident biker and then people nearly always said I bet you've got a Harley Davidson? :think: I'm quite clean cut looking if anything and beer gut aside, I don't look anything like the stereotypical Harley Dude? Do non biker people always assume bikers only ride Harleys? Anyway, it got on my nerves after a while and I asked my Director to stop introducing me as a resident biker, not hat I've got anything against bikers, or harleys or harley riders, it just grated after a while.
Generally speaking... Harleys are the only brand most of the general public are aware of, if they've had absolutely zero experience of bikes in the rest of their lives.
Be interesting to have a 'name a British bike' q? for the general population. I'm guessing 'BSA' (no model) would be top. The only model named might be 'Norton Commando'.

Or, 'Name a motorcycle make that isn't Harley Davidson'.

Whaddya reckon? Honda?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:26 pm
Be interesting to have a 'name a British bike' q? for the general population. I'm guessing 'BSA' (no model) would be top. The only model named might be 'Norton Commando'.

Or, 'Name a motorcycle make that isn't Harley Davidson'.

Whaddya reckon? Honda?
Triumph?
non quod, sed quomodo
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Having owned a Harley I get that. Still the most surreal thing I ever did was ride with a pack of Harleys to Southend on sea. We then parked (illegally) along the pedestrianised area for a photo shoot and Plod just watched us and even came over and spoke to us. :? :wtf: Then loads of members of the public walked over and took their photos next to the bikes. We were even sitting kids on the bikes and taking the photos of them on the bikes next to their mums etc. I only had a baby sportster but random people would often say, Wow a Harley! :crazy: Maybe I shouldn't have been miffed about the comments and flattered instead! :D
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:15 pm Harley
Have you still got that picture of the handlebars you put on the Virago. 🙂
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:15 pm Maybe I shouldn't have been miffed about the comments and flattered instead! :D
Either way, I'd ditch the leather chaps with the tassels and exposed arse cheeks.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Pirahna wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:22 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:15 pm Harley
Have you still got that picture of the handlebars you put on the Virago. 🙂
I've got a better one with the fake sleeve tattoos. I'll dig it out later! :D
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:11 pm
I've got a better one with the fake sleeve tattoos. I'll dig it out later! :D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:56 pm
Noggin wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:00 pm I'm realising that it's, sadly, self preservation, also a bit that I'm on a borrowed bike :( But, I don't want to ride too fast as I don't want to fall off :( :( Well, actually, more to the point - I DO NOT want to damage the metal shoulder OR the 'good' shoulder!! bloody wuss!! LOL

I ride very comfortably, just not very fast :( :(
My US mate and training mentor, Garth, said that the secret is to find the mid-point between being bored and scared.

In cornering terms:
1. Are you comfortable about opening the throttle to balance the bike, then drive through?

2. Can you stop in the distance you can see is going to remain clear?

If the answer to either is 'no' then you're probably too fast.

You're not being a wuss. We all lose the fearlessness of youth. And you have the tinware to consider.

Along with that, as discussed in your thread, you're still finding out what works. Doing that enough to embed a [good] habit will take time, both days, weeks and months, and 'time' as in distance approaching each bend.

And that extra time changing body position means earlier braking so, overall, more time to travel the same distance.

But think for a moment. Are you enjoying riding? If yes, who cares? You do, you're putting yourself under pressure.

If you exit a bend and think "I could have gone faster", great. Better that than the alternatives.
Thank you. This wasn't really the thread for that post as it doesn't BMP or even wind me up, but there isn't a thread for things that "make you a little sad"!!

Also, it's not the fearlessness of youth - I didn't get my first bike till I was 32!! And kept learning to be better through till I crashed, so I can't lay that one at age (although people do use that and don't get why I don't agree!!)

I 100% know I'm slower and I know it's because I just can't afford to fuck up the metal (or the good shoulder really!). I do enjoy it still, a lot. But half the fun used to be the competitiveness and that I did so try to avoid ever being passed on the road! LOL It happened, but not often :D

I've just got the miseries this week! Despite riding quite a lot for me!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Felix

Post by Felix »

Puppy shit. Its smells worse than passing a sewerage plant and stick to the back of the nostrils longer.
David

Post by David »

Felix wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:49 pm Puppy shit. Its smells worse than passing a sewerage plant and stick to the back of the nostrils longer.
In which case I would reccomend washing your hands after handling it, and before picking your nose....
Felix

Post by Felix »

David wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:05 am
Felix wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:49 pm Puppy shit. Its smells worse than passing a sewerage plant and stick to the back of the nostrils longer.
In which case I would reccomend washing your hands after handling it, and before picking your nose....
Unfortunately it was the lumps i missed under the fingernails.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Football parents/ Youth Coaches.

We have pitches at the end if the street and they're used by youth teams for training/marches.

We're talking kids as young as 6 right up to teenagers. Inevitably you get some Fergie wannabe in a tracksuit with his initials on giving some tearful preteen the full hairdryer treatment, a fucking grown man yelling at a kid. Nah mate, you're not Pep Whatshisname, you're a fucking glorified babysitter.

The parents aren't any better, shouting and roaring like wee Jonny is the second coming of Messi, I've literally seen them start swinging at each other. What a load of sad bastards.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

My colleague let slip that he was banned from attending his son's football matches for said behaviour... :thumbdown:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Home insurance - £1063.72. They can do one!

Insurance for all the cars and my bike dropped, yet home insurance increased?