What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by gremlin »

Scotsrich wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:19 pm
gremlin wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:21 am Tested for Covid, again, because I feel like I've got it, again. Two negative tests so far, but Mrs. G. has tested positive and we both have the same cough, sore throat, aching back and limbs and general tiredness and brain fug.

Only bloody broke my duck back in July so thought I'd be invincible for a bit longer than this....

Join the club.

I’ve avoided it since the whole thing started then go to Barcelona in preparation for a 2 week cruise only to catch it.

I think I caught it on the plane over. Pissed off is an understatement.

To add insult to injury this cruise was in compensation for another that the cruise company had to cancel earlier in the year. They gave me 200% cruise credit plus a free cruise both of which I used up on this cruise with upgrades etc. Now I’ve lost all that and all I get back is the price of the original cruise. And of course travel insurance won’t cover it because no actual cash value was lost.

I reckon I’ve lost £4k on that alone.
Ouch. That's a proper kick in the teeth.

I'll stop my griping now.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Phoned in a missing persons report, which was surreal, being asked to describe someone (my FiL) that I've known for 30 years :eh: erm, yeah, he's, erm, old, and, erm, 5'6" - 5'8", grey hair, erm, stocky farmers build.

Totes weird, I can picture him as clear as a photograph in my mind, but describing him, nah, may as well pick a random photofit from crimes stoppers.

Oh, he turned up in the end. :angry-cussingblack:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:51 pm Phoned in a missing persons report, which was surreal, being asked to describe someone (my FiL) that I've known for 30 years :eh: erm, yeah, he's, erm, old, and, erm, 5'6" - 5'8", grey hair, erm, stocky farmers build.

Totes weird, I can picture him as clear as a photograph in my mind, but describing him, nah, may as well pick a random photofit from crimes stoppers.

Oh, he turned up in the end. :angry-cussingblack:
Only liked it because he turned up. That is properly stressful and worrying. GPS tracker anyone...?
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

the_priest wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:27 am
Only liked it because he turned up. That is properly stressful and worrying. GPS tracker anyone...?
[/quote]

Worried / Stressful? for the wife yes, for me not so much at the time.

We're not there yet, but it's an idea that has been bandied about before for him.
However, for someone that routinely forgets /refuses to wear his hearing aids, refuses / forgets his glasses, refuses / forgets his mobile phone it's be an uphill struggle.

For my money the best option would be to have him surrender his driving license, but short of a serious intervention I don't see that happening any time soon
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Broken my private number plate cherry.

Got the Gremlinette one for her 18th, figuring it would be a pressie she can keep. I spurned the offer of their 'VIP service', which entails them doing the whole transferring thing which they offer for c £25 and it took me all of 2 mins on the govvie web page. Easy-peasy. Plates are now on her little car and she's well chuffed (well, in between coughing, sneezing and sniffing she seemed to be). I even got her to remove the old plates, drill holes in the new ones and pop them on. :thumbup:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:12 pm
the_priest wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:27 am
Worried / Stressful? for the wife yes, for me not so much at the time.

We're not there yet, but it's an idea that has been bandied about before for him.
However, for someone that routinely forgets /refuses to wear his hearing aids, refuses / forgets his glasses, refuses / forgets his mobile phone it's be an uphill struggle.

For my money the best option would be to have him surrender his driving license, but short of a serious intervention I don't see that happening any time soon
[/quote]
Maybe a nice posh watch. Don't tell him it's got GPS inside.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Got signed off work until the 11/11! :shock: I have got to get this fecking knee working. Off to buy an exercise bike now...
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:44 pm Got signed off work until the 11/11! :shock: I have got to get this fecking knee working. Off to buy an exercise bike now...
A brisk walk to the pub :)
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Taipan wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:44 pm Got signed off work until the 11/11! :shock: I have got to get this fecking knee working. Off to buy an exercise bike now...
What has physio said?
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Don't forget to do the straightening exercises otherwise you'll have a permanently bent leg.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

There was a big BMX race at the weekend covering a wide area.
So decided to ride it with the missus on the enduro bikes.
Nice varying terrain with skill level akin to our lass. And some new paths into the bargain.

All was going well until I saw their marked path skirted up and around a fave climb of ours. So off I went ;)

About half way up is a 3' vertical bit which you have to attack.
But I was still in pottering mode so hit it half heartedly. Shit.
Only 1 winner here. Gravity.
And the bike fell on me, trapping my leg. Bollox.
Pen could hear me on intercom but couldn't see me. I knew the area so told her where to go to see me.
It was too steep for her to scramble down.
Eventually the pain became so bad I found some extra strength and lifted bike enough to get my leg out.
Then sort of dragged the bike down the hill about 30' until I could remount and ride down.
Nastiest one for ages.

Anyway had another 2 hours on the race route which she loved.

Then lunch in our fave bakery shop up in the hills.

Quick dip in pool and now crashed on sofa.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Put lead in my pencil…

Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:58 pm
Don't forget to do the straightening exercises otherwise you'll have a permanently bent leg.
Yup. They worry more about that then the bending! I use kitchen gloves with 2.5kg in each glove. :thumbup:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:26 pm
Yup. They worry more about that then the bending! I use kitchen gloves with 2.5kg in each glove. :thumbup:
Why you strengthening your arms?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Yorick wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:47 pm
Taipan wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:26 pm

Why you strengthening your arms?
I thought that was the weight of his hands
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Well this morning I deliberately defrauded a French insurance company.
I don't feel too bad about it as the amount they deducted for vétusté (wear & tear) was nearly the same.
tricol

Post by tricol »

Urgh, went to get two new front tyres for the car this morning and think I ran a red light. Didn't see a flash, so maybe got away with it. It's a really awkward junction, straight out from a side street with about 70m to a roundabout. Drove back on the way home and the left hand light is blocked by trees and the right hand light is opposite the junction. Potential £100 fine and 3 points incoming. Just on a day when I was feeling relaxed for a change.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Taipan wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:12 am Continue the search for the original number plates for my car, so I can get my private plate off and then the car cleaned and photographed and up for sale.
Yay! Found them! Hidden in plain sight of course. :roll: Anyway, new rear light fitted and original reg back on! Get it cleaned and up for sale tomorrow! :thumbup:
Horse

Post by Horse »

tricol wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:18 pm left hand light is blocked by trees and
Take a photo and report to the council ASAP

Might help if you get done
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Fell for O'Leary's scamming...again. :roll:

Perusing the interweb yesterday, I see 'cheap' flights to Perugia, in Umbria. By the time I'd actually booked tickets, paid for luggage, airport parking, car hire in Italy my 'bargain' long weekend had suddenly become rather pricey....

Gotta book hotels yet. :o