What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yorick

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Yorick »

Demannu wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:31 pm Pool at 20.......manned up and got in!
Amazing how fast you can swim to warm up!
Ours is still about 30c. Lovely.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:31 pm If they're rock hard quinces, poach them gently, slice them into decent wedges and use them in a Moroccan style tagine/casserole, bit of cumin, ginger, cinnamon, ras el hanout sort of thing. Yum.

(Some varieties soften much faster than others, the ones like rocks are :thumbup: for this. Must check the Thursday market if they're in season).
The Parks Trust are running an open day at the big community orchard in a few weeks...that one has 400 trees. You can pick for free whenever you like, but the wardens will be there giving out info. I might ask them.

My mum picked and bletted a load of the dog arses last year, then made jelly. It was a nice flavour I've never had before.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:50 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:31 pm If they're rock hard quinces, poach them gently, slice them into decent wedges and use them in a Moroccan style tagine/casserole, bit of cumin, ginger, cinnamon, ras el hanout sort of thing. Yum.

(Some varieties soften much faster than others, the ones like rocks are :thumbup: for this. Must check the Thursday market if they're in season).
The Parks Trust are running an open day at the big community orchard in a few weeks...that one has 400 trees. You can pick for free whenever you like, but the wardens will be there giving out info. I might ask them.

My mum picked and bletted a load of the dog arses last year, then made jelly. It was a nice flavour I've never had before.
I'd mentioned quinces to some local friends. On the way back from visiting daughter #1 in Canterbury they picked up a bag of quinces at Brogdale and left them by our front door as we were out. Wife goes 'Ooh pears' and took a bite of one...and nearly broke her jaw! :D They were :thumbup: Some of the common varieties that you can buy for growing here are a bit too soft.

Today I have done v little but mildly regret having a covid vaccination yesterday. :( Usual 'a bit bleh' same as the previous 3 although this was Moderna and the previous 3 were all Pfizer. I did feel rather :thumbup: after the jab as the young woman said I had tough skin and good muscles - did I work out? So, thick skinned (who knew? :D ) and buff. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:33 pm
The other 2 are groaning with what I think are quinces? Touch larger than an apple and fuzzy like a peach. I've never seen those two trees in fruit before. There were also very few apples, so maybe the weather this year has something to do with it.

Sadly I'm not sure I'm in the market for quince, but I might have to change my mind given the free bounty on offer.
Quince jelly is amazing - good on toast/crumpets or cold meats/cheese!! I'm desperate to get some quinces to try and make some again. The fruit itself is tough as old boots, but cooked into jelly or as suggested poached for savoury dishes, they're lovely :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Ordered a toasted sandwhich maker. :thumbup:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Noggin wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:29 pm
The other 2 are groaning with what I think are quinces? Touch larger than an apple and fuzzy like a peach. I've never seen those two trees in fruit before. There were also very few apples, so maybe the weather this year has something to do with it.

Sadly I'm not sure I'm in the market for quince, but I might have to change my mind given the free bounty on offer.
Quince jelly is amazing - good on toast/crumpets or cold meats/cheese!! I'm desperate to get some quinces to try and make some again. The fruit itself is tough as old boots, but cooked into jelly or as suggested poached for savoury dishes, they're lovely :D
I made chilli jelly using apples from the same orchard last year, but I borrowed all the jars and bags from my Mum. She's already pencilled in a date to come and get a load of quinces :lol:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Taipan wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:29 am Ordered a toasted sandwhich maker. :thumbup:
Did you check in the LOP first? ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:36 am
Noggin wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:29 pm

I made chilli jelly using apples from the same orchard last year, but I borrowed all the jars and bags from my Mum. She's already pencilled in a date to come and get a load of quinces :lol:
Some quinces age gracefully and have a very nice aroma as they do. It's not unknown for them to be used as an air freshener in cars, kitchens and cupboards etc. (Not all of them do though. It seems that if they ripen in warmer climes they tend to be soft, so imported ones may just turn to sludge. I looked into planting one or two, 'Vranja' looks like a good bet, big, perfumed fruit, but quite like the idea of an old standard like Meech's Prolific. Quinces are pretty slow growing and you can stick 'em in a pot on a sunny patio for about 8 years before they need replanting in the ground. Might pot a couple up in spring although they're not particularly decorative and can be a bit scruffy looking).

Never found commercial quince jelly/membrillo to be very good,so home-made is probably better. :thumbup:

Edit: never knew this but: The word marmalade is actually derived from the Portugese name for Quince – marmo. Live and learn eh? :D
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Spent last 2 hours glued to the telly. Thought I'd watch 10 mins, but stayed.

My sparky came at 10:00 and luckily he had to go buy some bits. Asked him to come back tmrw as guests are also watching it
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I've read in a few places that a couple of quinces added to apple dishes (crumbles and the like) really amps them up. I sometimes knock together a few part baked pies and the like for the freezer at this time of year, so I think I'll give the quinces a bash too.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Yorick wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:17 pm Spent last 2 hours glued to the telly. Thought I'd watch 10 mins, but stayed.

My sparky came at 10:00 and luckily he had to go buy some bits. Asked him to come back tmrw as guests are also watching it
It’s mesmeric - I popped it on just now and am glued to it .
formula400

Post by formula400 »

it really is quite incredible
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I watched it from about 10:30 until part way through the London precession.

I thought Andrew's personalised numberplate on his Bentley (AY03 DOY) was a bit unbecoming :lol:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

asmethurst99 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:40 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:17 pm Spent last 2 hours glued to the telly. Thought I'd watch 10 mins, but stayed.

It’s mesmeric - I popped it on just now and am glued to it .
I don't live in the UK anymore and never will, but very proud to be British today.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:00 pm I watched it from about 10:30 until part way through the London precession.

I thought Andrew's personalised numberplate on his Bentley (AY03 DOY) was a bit unbecoming :lol:
Probably one of those gifts from your kids that presents a hard choice.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Jeremy Vine is ghouling all over it.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Watching it now and wondering how Princess Anne can seriously be an Admiral having never served. I mean, even Edward turned up for a couple of weeks training before throwing in the towel.

I know it's all ceremonial bollocks, but I'd be embarrassed to wear the get up.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

They were boggling at the weight of the gun carriage on the radio and talking to one of the service people that are pulling it. Looking at the pics on TV and doing a quick calculation, they could carry it with relative ease.

There aren't many countries that do these things quite as well.
Voltaire
formula400

Post by formula400 »

wonder what those coppers in black on the bike are, they look like ninjas
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:29 pm Watching it now and wondering how Princess Anne can seriously be an Admiral having never served. I mean, even Edward turned up for a couple of weeks training before throwing in the towel.

I know it's all ceremonial bollocks, but I'd be embarrassed to wear the get up.
It does strike me as a bit silly that the two people not in uniform are the only two who have actually done active service in combat.

Yeah I know there's a massive protocol and rules thing.

Bloody impressive synchronisation from all those people though!