Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:47 am TBF the only LC store I knoe of and have been to is part of one of those "designer village" outlet places, so I'm not surprised at the prices on reflection. IIRC they're sandwiched between Michael Kors and Bose. :lol:
The top of this particular High Street is a bit 'urban aspiration oo-la-la'. It goes something like: Barbour, Loake, Boss, Brora and Anthropologie, Le Creuset on the other side.

A redeveloped arcade style place nearby is mainly The Ivy, The Ivy Asia, Gail's + a coffee machine shop that has bicycles in the window :eh: ,designer specs, 'art' for show homes, watches/jewellery....and empty units.

I'm all for repopulating the High Street and tbf it's one of the nicest places around but a lot the useful stuff like Steamer Trading etc went kaput.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Sport and politics shouldn't mix, but this pissed me off.

The Russian should have been given a slap for being petty.
Then banned for being Russian

Let's hope more fencers walk out in sympathy

Kharlan's Ukrainian team-mate - Tokyo 2020 bronze medallist Igor Reizlin - was scheduled to take to the piste against Russian Vadim Anokhin on Wednesday but did not present himself, subsequently forfeiting.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/fencing/66322668
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I am getting fed up with headlines stating that July was the hottest month ever and it's our fault. It's BS. I am a climate change denier in that the climate has always changed and always will, with or without us.

I believe that we should be resourceful and not create unnecessary waste but that view applies to everything and has nothing to do with global warming.
Lockdown refugee
Ant

Post by Ant »

Trinity765 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:34 am I am getting fed up with headlines stating that July was the hottest month ever and it's our fault. It's BS. I am a climate change denier in that the climate has always changed and always will, with or without us.

I believe that we should be resourceful and not create unnecessary waste but that view applies to everything and has nothing to do with global warming.
It's a cult. The Met are often bending historical data to suit a narrative, it's all about money. There is no way that this was the hottest month ever, last year was MUCH hotter than any of this year. In fact I remember 2003 being hotter too.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Ant wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:41 am
Trinity765 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:34 am I am getting fed up with headlines stating that July was the hottest month ever and it's our fault. It's BS. I am a climate change denier in that the climate has always changed and always will, with or without us.

It's a cult. The Met are often bending historical data to suit a narrative, it's all about money. There is no way that this was the hottest month ever, last year was MUCH hotter than any of this year. In fact I remember 2003 being hotter too.
It is indeed all about the money. Just like no one was making any money out of the flu until 2020.
Lockdown refugee
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Warburton bagels. :thumbdown:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:13 am
Count Steer wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:39 pm Regarding my casserole quest up there ^^^^^

I ventured into the Le Creuset shop today. They have what looks like I need. £285. They're havin' a giraffe. Damned if I'm paying for their glitzy showroom.

Lakeland shop didn't have what I want in store so hey ho, hey ho, it is on-line I go. As fortune would have it a block of Lakeland discount vouchers dropped through the letterbox this am. @£55 with 20% off, I'll risk it. :lol:
So I bought one (4.5l Prestige, black CI from Lakeland). It's v similar to the Cuisances/LC one but a tad bigger (25cm cf 22cm). Seasoned it (corn oil/190°C/1hr fan oven - note to self, open windows and doors next time!).

It's absolutely fine and, at £55 less 20%, as being as good as the £285 Le Creuset offering a total no-brainer in the end. :thumbup:
Check Facebook market place. Some good Le Creuset bargains on there!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:59 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:13 am
Count Steer wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:39 pm Regarding my casserole quest up there ^^^^^

I ventured into the Le Creuset shop today. They have what looks like I need. £285. They're havin' a giraffe. Damned if I'm paying for their glitzy showroom.

Lakeland shop didn't have what I want in store so hey ho, hey ho, it is on-line I go. As fortune would have it a block of Lakeland discount vouchers dropped through the letterbox this am. @£55 with 20% off, I'll risk it. :lol:
So I bought one (4.5l Prestige, black CI from Lakeland). It's v similar to the Cuisances/LC one but a tad bigger (25cm cf 22cm). Seasoned it (corn oil/190°C/1hr fan oven - note to self, open windows and doors next time!).

It's absolutely fine and, at £55 less 20%, as being as good as the £285 Le Creuset offering a total no-brainer in the end. :thumbup:
Check Facebook market place. Some good Le Creuset bargains on there!
There's one slight problem with that.... :D

PS Still v happy with the Lakeland/Prestige pan. Now in regular use but if 'er indoors needs to use it I have to lift it out of the cupboard onto the stove top. :lol:
Voltaire
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

It's all about money and what they can sell to you.

Climate change as you say will happen no matter what we do, they are just making shit up all the time so that they can sell us stuff we don't need, it's a tactic the gov and local big corporations have been using for decades as they know a high percentage of the country/world are thick as shit and will just blindly buy what ever they are told to buy.

They all group together to push the same narrative to try and convince you that it's all your fault and if you don't buy all their shit you are frowned upon by the masses who tell you that you are the problem as they have no way of independent thought.

It's sad really how many people cannot see this!
Ant

Post by Ant »

Greenman wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:14 pm

It's all about money and what they can sell to you.

Climate change as you say will happen no matter what we do, they are just making shit up all the time so that they can sell us stuff we don't need, it's a tactic the gov and local big corporations have been using for decades as they know a high percentage of the country/world are thick as shit and will just blindly buy what ever they are told to buy.

They all group together to push the same narrative to try and convince you that it's all your fault and if you don't buy all their shit you are frowned upon by the masses who tell you that you are the problem as they have no way of independent thought.

It's sad really how many people cannot see this!
Yep, there is just no evidence to support this nonesesnse about carbon and carbon emissions, carbon footprint at all. None.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Eurotunnel is fucked. Still, I had nothing better to do than sit in queues of traffic. 🙄
Felix

Post by Felix »

Finding that bit flake chocolate from your choc ice when its to late and melted into your breeks. Worse if its melted under your arse and you never noticed until you have been out to the shops.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Clean air zones.

It's to save lives and ensure that children can breathe cleaner air.
But if you give the government some money you can carry on killing them.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

The lack of clock repair/horologist people (which means that the ones that still exist have work coming out of their ears and can charge what they like). My local one retired. Took a clock to the next nearest one some miles away - needs the spring in the chimes train fixing/replacing and I enquired about replacing the hair-spring platform with the original one*. They phoned with a quote.

Full service + new chimes spring - £600
Replace hairspring platform with original - £500

:o :shock: :o :(

It can stay chimeless.

Anyone got any children looking for a lucrative career, get 'em fixing clocks.

* Previous clock nugget didn't just replace the broken hairspring - he put a shiny new assembly in a 125+ year old carriage clock and handed me the old bits. :angry-cussingblack:
Voltaire
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:30 am The lack of clock repair/horologist people (which means that the ones that still exist have work coming out of their ears and can charge what they like). My local one retired. Took a clock to the next nearest one some miles away - needs the spring in the chimes train fixing/replacing and I enquired about replacing the hair-spring platform with the original one*. They phoned with a quote.

It can stay chimeless.

* Previous clock nugget didn't just replace the broken hairspring - he put a shiny new assembly in a 125+ year old carriage clock and handed me the old bits. :angry-cussingblack:

Highly recommended this company - serviced and repaired several watches for me over the years and prices are relatively reasonable - https://tictocman.com/
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:30 am The lack of clock repair/horologist people (which means that the ones that still exist have work coming out of their ears and can charge what they like). My local one retired. Took a clock to the next nearest one some miles away - needs the spring in the chimes train fixing/replacing and I enquired about replacing the hair-spring platform with the original one*. They phoned with a quote.

It can stay chimeless.

I've spent hours (ha!) watching clock and watch repair vids. I sometimes think I'd like to get into it, but I reckon I'm more interested in the how and why than in the actually doing it.

I'm the same with classic Bikes TBF. I'm mostly interested in finding out what needs doing, actually doing it often becomes a slog for me :lol:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Losing a day :(

Just been cursing coz I couldn't find MotoGP on the new TNT channels. They've just taken over BT.

Then saw that today is only Thursday. I remember last night looking forward to watching it this morning.

Bugger. Will have to wait till tomorrow.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

v8-powered wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:14 am
Highly recommended this company - serviced and repaired several watches for me over the years and prices are relatively reasonable - https://tictocman.com/
Cheers. They look very, very watch focused though.

I think I'll have to invent some family sob story and take it to The Repair Shop. :D

I suppose if garages are charging £70/hr it's not as :shock: as it first appears but it does explain why stuff at auction only seems to get bought by clock repair people and anything that's not worth lots of money/collectable goes for peanuts. You can pick up grandfather/grandmother clocks for less than they'd cost to service. I got a box of 5 mantel clocks for £90. One of them has been running :thumbup: ever since, I spent a few £ on repair/servicing a couple and the others I was quite happy to faff about with to see how difficult it was to work on them.

This bunch seem pretty good/well trained/experienced. Apparently people buy stuff at auction and have it delivered directly to them for repair/service. I suppose if you know what you're doing value-wise (I don't!) that's a decent strategy. Given that it'll be a few weeks/months before it gets done I might just have to bite the bullet, save a few sovs and have the repair done but say thanks but no thanks on the hairspring platform.
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

I'm in the same boat, I have a pocket watch family heirloom that I need repairing and servicing, I sent it to one place and they returned it saying they couldn't get parts so didn't want to touch it.

I think I'm going to need to send it to someone who can make parts and that's going to be eye-watering.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:09 am

I've spent hours (ha!) watching clock and watch repair vids. I sometimes think I'd like to get into it, but I reckon I'm more interested in the how and why than in the actually doing it.
I'm addicted to Wrist Watch Revival on YouTube! :thumbup:
Count Steer wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:17 am
v8-powered wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:14 am
Cheers. They look very, very watch focused though.
Believe they also do clocks, friend of mine sent one there several years ago - may be worth a message....