Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Demannu

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Demannu »

Bigjawa wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:30 pm
Horse wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:44 pm Sorry, what I meant was: "is that the best you've got?" Nothing like 'emmets' or 'grockels'?

To be fair, what the Cornish call 'comeovers' the Welsh used to call 'an opportunity for a big blaze'.
My cousins are mad Welsh nationalists, they once sent me a t shirt with a burnt bungalow on it and the caption read "Red sky at night, Englishman's cottage alight"
Demannu wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:43 am
Greenman wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:04 am

This being the case, why don't they just re-timetable the buses so that they are maybe every hour instead of every 15 minutes so they actually turn up, that way they won't have customers sitting there waiting for ages for buses that do not turn up!
Bus companies don't schedule the timetables, councils do. Bus companies get 'fined' if they don't run any scheduled buses, however, the wages they'd have to pay a night driver probably outweigh the fine, so no skin off their nose.
Blame brizzel County Council ( whatever they now call it now).
Over here at least, the scheduling is done by the actual company, by people in offices who don't know the routes, hence its a complete shit show.
Its been a while since I was involved, but the CC would tender a route, stating frequency etc, then the local firms would squabble over it, they'd give it to Stagecoach anyway who usually threatened to withdraw from the less profitable routes if they didn't get it. Only then did the OM or AOM get involved. They'd usually drive the route in a car, stopping at every stop for 5s, and that would be the route timing!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Greenman wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:15 pm
gremlin wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:35 pm
Bigjawa wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:30 pm
My cousins are mad Welsh nationalists

I'm thinking of starting a 'London Independence Party'. I reckon financially we'd be in clover without all the provincial hangers-on. :thumbup:

All we'll need to do is declare independence and then fortify the M25 to keep the yokels out. Obviously we'd need cheap labour from outside, so Taipan might be given residence status.
You'll be ok without the fortification of the M25, no-one wants to get into London, only out...;)
Ahem...I draw the Right Honourable Gentleman to the ONS:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/100 ... by-region/

From that report:
London’s economic dominance of the UK can clearly be seen when compared to the other regions of the country. In terms of GDP per capita, the gap between London and the rest of the country is striking, standing at 56,431 pounds per person in the UK capital, compared with just over 31,947 pounds in the rest of the country. In order to address the economic imbalance, the UK government has a “levelling-up” policy which aims to flatten outlying areas of the UK, such as that pox-ridden Bristol, with a small nuclear device . The success of the program may depend on whether small nuclear blasts actually improve the target areas, something scientists suspect will be the case, as they surely can't get any worse.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

gremlin wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:44 pm
Greenman wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:15 pm
gremlin wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:35 pm

I'm thinking of starting a 'London Independence Party'. I reckon financially we'd be in clover without all the provincial hangers-on. :thumbup:

All we'll need to do is declare independence and then fortify the M25 to keep the yokels out. Obviously we'd need cheap labour from outside, so Taipan might be given residence status.
You'll be ok without the fortification of the M25, no-one wants to get into London, only out...;)
Ahem...I draw the Right Honourable Gentleman to the ONS:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/100 ... by-region/

From that report:
London’s economic dominance of the UK can clearly be seen when compared to the other regions of the country. In terms of GDP per capita, the gap between London and the rest of the country is striking, standing at 56,431 pounds per person in the UK capital, compared with just over 31,947 pounds in the rest of the country. In order to address the economic imbalance, the UK government has a “levelling-up” policy which aims to flatten outlying areas of the UK, such as that pox-ridden Bristol, with a small nuclear device . The success of the program may depend on whether small nuclear blasts actually improve the target areas, something scientists suspect will be the case, as they surely can't get any worse.
Typical Banker equating everything to money.

What does money have to do with wanting to live somewhere, except maybe cost of living there?

Loads of you rich londoners are attacking the market here in Bristol - Bedminster has seen a significant rise in properties bought by people from the south east - you come here in your chelsea tracktors and try and take over everything, forcing out small companies with your chains of coffee houses selling 3576 types of coffee no locals want and clogging up the streets with your Go-Pro laden bicycles, bad attitudes and total lack of respect for anyone else.

Except from londoners i have not spoke to anyone in at least a decade that has even 1 good thing to say about London.

In fact, as it happens, i had a londoner (probably in his mid 60's so similar age to you!) stop off on his bicycle (i live about 5 foot from the cycle path) and asked if i could fill up his bottle of water for him as i walked into my house, i replied "no problem at all" filled up his bottle and had a 5 min chat with him - he said he had escaped London due to the people and rising costs for everything, he said to me in his own words "no-one in London would of done that for me, in fact, i would of been too scared to even of asked"!

But hey, if the GDP is rising then it must be a great place to live, obviously..... :wtf:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Greenman wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:28 pm

Typical Banker...
Re-read my post in full. ;)
Horse

Post by Horse »

gremlin wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:46 pm Here's a thing though....most are chubbers.

And guess what...the worst offenders are chubbers.
Didn't you post recently about your extremely high alcohol consumption?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

gremlin wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:46 pm
Greenman wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:28 pm

Typical Banker...
Re-read my post in full. ;)
lol sorry, skim reading...;)

The Nukes will wont make it past the ganja smoke protecting Bristol's atmosphere - it has now built up a thick green tar like film that repels any object that looks like it might harm the stoners below it, so do your best, we are ready for ya...;)

It pesky ones that slip in below the radar thats the issue...;)
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Horse wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:57 pm
gremlin wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:46 pm Here's a thing though....most are chubbers.

Yeah. I was pissed though, so it don't count. :lol:

Plus, I never waste alcohol. ;)
Horse

Post by Horse »

gremlin wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:00 pm
Horse wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:57 pm

Yeah. I was pissed though, so it don't count. :lol:

Plus, I never waste alcohol. ;)
Fair points, well made :thumbup:
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Greenman wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:32 am Buses.

The 4am didn't turn up, then the 4:15am didn't come so i had enough and booked an uber and just as the uber arrived the bus turned up.

Wasted a precious hour and a half of my raving night waiting for buses - foolish!... :lol:

Show me the Bacon!
Young man, you should have been in bed at 11:00. None of this staying out late. You're past 40 so stop pretending you're 17.

But if you're going to the bar, I'll have a beer :)
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Yorick wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:49 pm
Greenman wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:32 am Buses.

The 4am didn't turn up, then the 4:15am didn't come so i had enough and booked an uber and just as the uber arrived the bus turned up.

Wasted a precious hour and a half of my raving night waiting for buses - foolish!... :lol:

Show me the Bacon!
Young man, you should have been in bed at 11:00. None of this staying out late. You're past 40 so stop pretending you're 17.

But if you're going to the bar, I'll have a beer :)
Just a beer?

That's so 1997!

:shock:
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

A couple days I was accosted by a random guy on the campsite.

Random Man " Can you help? The campsite booked us a taxi to the airport for 8:15, It's now 8:35 and he's not here "

Me " There's no on in reception until 9AM...... I'll go get my car and take you myself"

I grab my car, load up His Mrs, 2 big cases and one of the kids. I'll have to do two trips but if they can check their bags, they'll be in a good position.

As we're approaching the airport 'Mum's phone rings. The taxi has finally arrived. We continue to the airport while 'dad' and the other 2 kids get the taxi.

I drop Mum and child and cases at departure point.

Mrs Random Man " thank you so much, please let me take your phone number, I want to send you some money"

Me "Thats kind of you its 07XXXXXXX"

I didn't take them to the airport for 'reward' I did it because they would have been screwed if they'd missed their flight.

But FFS don't offer to pay me then never contact me again. That, I find rude !
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:55 pm F'ing emmets!
No less than 3 local forecourts are dry of diesel at the moment. It is Friday pm innit, and all those huuuge 4x4s are filling up for the great trek back to Brum/Manchester/wherever. All main roads were rammed earlier today, with the M5 southbound clogged with the next installment.
Oh how we do love holidaymakers down in Cornwall!
I just got back from a west country tour, in my camper though, not my huuuge 4x4. :D You'll all be pleased to know we wont be buying one of your properties now. As much as we loved the place and enjoyed our daily chats with locals, I don't think I could live with the seasonal trends and traffic. I can drive through London's west end easier than Marazion! :wtf:

Friends of ours live in Barnstaple after living in several other places in Devon after leaving Essex. They hate tourist season mainly because of the traffic but also because of queues in shops, lack of parking etc. Their (29 year old) Son loves the tourist season because the place comes alive after the deadness of winter but admits its slightly losing its allure now he's getting older. None of them work in tourist related industries but they all certainly get the need for tourism.

We came away feeling we couldn't live with the hating of what you need to survive attitude and having to live with it during the best months of the year. Simply put, I don't want live my life becoming resentful and frustrated for a large part of every year and I cant see that living down there wouldn't make me like that. I empathise with you all.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Driving through Marazion? In August? In a camper van? Best of luck :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:20 pm Driving through Marazion? In August? In a camper van? Best of luck :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Camper was in Porthleven, we were on a bus! The bus routes through the back lanes and villages were interesting! :shock:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Taipan wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:43 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:20 pm Driving through Marazion? In August? In a camper van? Best of luck :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Camper was in Porthleven, we were on a bus! The bus routes through the back lanes and villages were interesting! :shock:

Solution: Get off the bus, walk through the village and then you can get the earlier bus which is stuck in the traffic but nearer the front.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Being told what bike I "must" get as the solution to the spazzy shoulder - by someone who's seen me once in the six years I've been dealing with said shoulder and obviously thinks I haven't spent 6 years thinking about and working out which bike would work best!!!

FFS :angry-cussingblack:

(And no, I didn't agree - nor did he agree on the one I want!! But he's not buying it!! :lol: - nor am I until I've sorted my financial life out!!!)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

@Jody still trying to palm off that 690?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

weeksy wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:23 pm @Jody still trying to palm off that 690?
TBF, if I had the money I'd give it a try!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But no (I did test ride a 690 years ago and wasn't that bothered by it). I'm going to test ride a 390 Duke and see if it works for the shoulder as well as I think it will. My memory of the riding position combined with the photos I have of me riding it make me think it could work pretty well.

And in all honesty it is the ideal bike for out here. Not so much for big distances, but I'm not sure that big distance are going to be possible for the shoulder whatever bike I get!

The BMP bit was the tone and the obvious belief that I haven't even thought about what bikes would work for me in the six years I've been desperate to get back to riding regularly!! :roll: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Online businesses who don’t offer a faster paid for delivery option instead of a ‘free’ 5 working day delivery service.

If I wanted stuff in 5 days, I’d order it next week
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Our manager organising a "random" drugs n alcohol test for the day shift this morning but the spineless *unt hadn't even got the testicular fortitude to show up today, instead palming the responsibility off onto one of his colleagues.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."