What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
cheb

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by cheb »

Taken the DTR200 for an MOT test. I'll get it back one day at some point, sometimes it's next day, sometimes it takes a few weeks.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Fettled and polished the show pony while listening to rock and blues, enjoyed the dirty looks from some of the passing dog walkers and chatted with old blokes about bikes. I love a day off work fiddling with bikes on my drive in the sun listening to old music
Honda Owner
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

the_priest wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:52 pm Drove back from Poole where the family and I had our holiday. Sadly this morning I had to phone my oldest brother and cry with him as his wife passed away early this morning from Covid related issues. Heart breaking and we lived just a few minutes apart as youngsters back in SA. He is still there and fortunately his daughters are with him at the moment. RIP Jennifer, let light perpetual shine upon you.
Sorry for your loss, mate.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
636mick

Post by 636mick »

the_priest wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:52 pm Drove back from Poole where the family and I had our holiday. Sadly this morning I had to phone my oldest brother and cry with him as his wife passed away early this morning from Covid related issues. Heart breaking and we lived just a few minutes apart as youngsters back in SA. He is still there and fortunately his daughters are with him at the moment. RIP Jennifer, let light perpetual shine upon you.
Thoughts with you and yours mate.
Mick
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:45 pm
There are also a load of Sloe bushes at the end of my street too, but I don't really have anything in mind to do with them.
Sloe gin as Skub says. Or sloe port!

After the alcohol is done, I used to stone the sloes and then use them in chocolates or puddings. They are too bitter and hard off the tree, but after a few weeks/months of soaking in sugar and alcohol, they are kinda nice!

Also, if you want to take an interesting drink to BBQs, add the strained sloes to cider - only need to leave them for a couple of weeks for an interesting flavoured cider that is a bit like rocket fuel in the alcohol stakes!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Decided I'd make us home made pizzas and cook them on a pizza stone on the BBQ! Took the wife to get the ingredients and waited diligently in the car whilst Mrs T shopped, cos I got the 'Rona and ain't allowed to mix with people, or go out come to that. As the fact that I shouldn't be out dawned on me, so did the fact that I can't prepare and serve hand made food to 'rona free people either! :roll:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Doing a garage dung out.

Man,the stuff I keep.... :roll:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Sorted out a bit of the DIY stuff post sofa stuff -

Moved some shelf things (they are square and oblong box type shelves!
Moved the TV, which meant I had to move all the pics on the wall on that side!
Moved a little light on 'my' side down below the shelf that I'd raised so that it shines on whatever crafty stuff I'm doing rather than on the top of the shelf!!

It's a good feeling, things are really coming together in here! Takes me forever to actually do stuff cos I'm battling a bit of black dog still, but when it's done I do grin a bit!

Downside is that there are SOOOOOOOO MANY holes in the wall where stuff has been put up and moved/changed!! LOL One day when I'm earning properly, I'll have to finish the place and get someone to come in a plaster it - when I'm certain sure that things will stay where I've put them!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Watched my daughter move the last of her stuff out of her room as she moves into her first home tomorrow. I'm crying like a baby lol! :oops:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I got up nice and early and had a gentle bimble to Chambery. Went into the immigration dept and waited to be called. Had a huge wodge of paperwork - everything I'd sent to them in the application for the residency card plus a few other bits!! She only took one of the numerous photos and the EDF confirmation that I have electric from them (not a bill, just something the French use as proof of living somewhere)

Then I was fingerprinted for the first time ever :shock: :shock: Kinda funny as it was electronic so no inky fingertips!! LOL

She said the card should be delivered within 2 months - probably much quicker apparently!! :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

On the way home I stopped by the allotment that I go to for veg. Picked up a veg box for me and one for some friends (well, I transferred each box to a bag because I can't pick up the boxes - weird shape and heavy!!).

Currently investigating the interweb to find recipes to make courgettes taste nice :roll: :roll: I know it's that time of year but they are one of my least favourite veg!! And I have LOADS!!!! And half a pumpkin!!

Courgettes

Annoyingly, most recipes say stuff like "use a medium courgette" - WTF is medium!!!!

What do you do with radishes???

Leafy green stuff

There were also onions, red and white, and chillis. I don't eat stuff with chilli in it normally, so I guess I'll add one to the Courgette and Ginger Jam!! And maybe the Quince Chilli Chutney I'm planning to make (some friends have a quince tree :D :D ). Oh, and a few sticks of rhubarb - so may well make a comfort food crumble!! LOL

I have to go to the valley tomorrow, so I will grab some other ingredients and spend most of Wednesday (and probably Thursday!) cooking/baking!!! Might get my brain out of it's funk!! LOL :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Oh, I forgot - there are also a lot of potatoes!!! FFS, I haven't finished the potatoes from last time!!! Despite appearances, I don't eat that much, hence only getting a veg box once a fortnight at the most!!! I need to do a reshuffle in the freezer again to make space for stuff I cook from all this!!

Might be a leek and potato soup to go in there - maybe!! :lol:
Last edited by Noggin on Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

You can grate courgettes and use them instead of the carrot in carrot cake. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:22 pm You can grate courgettes and use them instead of the carrot in carrot cake. :D
I'm really trying not to make cake!! LOL LOL

So far I have -

Courgette Crumble
Various soups
Courgette and Ginger Jam
Courgette Chutney
Zucchini Bread
Flourless Zucchini Brownies (they cheat, they use almond flour!!!)
Courgette Slice
Stuffed Courgette

As well as the mahoosive courgettes from today, I still have one in the fridge from the last bag of 'goodies'!!!

It would be so much better if I actually liked courgette!! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Noggin wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:12 pm What do you do with radishes???
Run em under the tap, top and tail em, pop em in your mouth and chew
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:39 pm
Noggin wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:12 pm What do you do with radishes???
Run em under the tap, top and tail em, pop em in your mouth and chew
:lol: :lol: :lol:

One option!! But I think I have far more than I want to eat like that!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Courgettes: sliced, fried in butter with flaked almonds.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

slowsider wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:11 pm Courgettes: sliced, fried in butter with flaked almonds.
I'll try. The best thing so far has been fritters with feta and lemon. I'm not a fan of courgette at all. It's a bit watery and yucky. But, it's fresh and healthy and not properly horrible! So I best MTFU and do stuff with it!! LOL
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I may, just MAY, that's what they said last week, I could, just might, get my bike back today with a new cam chain tensioner.
Lockdown refugee
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Comical evening last night out with the wife and boy.

The boy has been trying spicy stuff and watching him last night attempting to eat a spicy chicken wing, was comical.

However a Jalapeno pepper was next level of comical. It went from "oh that's ok" to cough splutter and lots of faces being pulled, noises being made, very very quickly.... He wasn't a fan.

However, he won a Hot Wheels car for his efforts :D :D
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Discovered the naughty X Trail has a dying battery. So its off Halfrauds in a minute for a new one. Fortunately (according to the X Trail owners forum) the ECU doesn't need telling its got a new battery fitted as its not that clever.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Skub wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:03 pm Doing a garage dung out.

Man,the stuff I keep.... :roll:
In best Anderson Dawes "a good Belter never throws anything away"
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."