What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Silly Car

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Silly Car »

Day one on the Big Build Projects has started:

Project 1 - roof replacement
Scaffold is up on the front and is currently going up on the back as I type
Roofer has started loading scaffold with materials, screening slates and getting ready to start stripping out front roof tomorrow
New velux going in to brighten a bedroom and full replacement of slates, valleys, flashings etc

Project 2 - garage build
Builder appointed last week and building inspector out pre-dig to make sure he’s happy with proposed strip foundation.

He’s not due to proximity of sycamore trees and depth of existing sewer (2.5m at current ground level) so we’ve appointed an engineer to design a reinforced raft foundation which should use less concrete and sub-dpc brickwork but will need more steel and consultancy fees. Builder reckons they’ll broadly balance each other out…

Demolition starts in 9 days time just as scaffolded comes down… (well hopefully as scaffers won’t be happy stripping out through a building site :shock: )
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Had a brilliant 4 hour enduro ride. Had big tumble early, which hurt, a lot. But soon shrugged that off and had some fun. Was keeping up with the younger kids no problems. I feel like a teenager when the Husky comes on the pipe, picks its skirt up and fucks off with a screaming howl :obscene-birdiedoublered:

The last 10 mins is by myself but picked the fun route rather than the lazy route.

Then jumped straight in the pool. Now having a beer before I go paint the new guttering.

Then meeting a pal for late afternoon beers in town.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Today was something @Noggin would be proud of

1) Went to local shop on my way to the gym this morning and managed to somehow lock the keys in the car .... walked all the way home to get spare key and back to the car again. :roll:

2) Whilst at gym managed to catch my finger under a 20KG dumbell ...... fucking OUCH!!!!! :oops:

3) Got back home a tad pissed off so thought i would take the Ducati out for a play as it was a sunny warm day with free time. 30 minutes in and the rear feels a bit weavy on bends. Pressure seems way down so wuick look around the tyre and there is a deep 1.5cm curved cut in the tread. Refilled tyre with air at petrol station and managed to get home and pressure dropped from 36 to 22.5 PSI so that tyre is fucked with loads of mileage left on it :oops:

They say it comes in threes so hopefully thats all that can go wrong today ....... FML :roll:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Today I have done nothing that I had planned to do. On the plus side I moved my Son into his new room and he got off his lazy arse and helped, which was nice. Now were off to Waitrose to spend more on the same stuff we could have bought in Tesco for less. Aces. Not.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Bit of top down driving, bit of antique mooching, now I'm sat in the curry house (yeah it's early, but I'm hungry).
Skub

Post by Skub »

Bigyin wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:44 pm Today was something @Noggin would be proud of

1) Went to local shop on my way to the gym this morning and managed to somehow lock the keys in the car .... walked all the way home to get spare key and back to the car again. :roll:

2) Whilst at gym managed to catch my finger under a 20KG dumbell ...... fucking OUCH!!!!! :oops:

3) Got back home a tad pissed off so thought i would take the Ducati out for a play as it was a sunny warm day with free time. 30 minutes in and the rear feels a bit weavy on bends. Pressure seems way down so wuick look around the tyre and there is a deep 1.5cm curved cut in the tread. Refilled tyre with air at petrol station and managed to get home and pressure dropped from 36 to 22.5 PSI so that tyre is fucked with loads of mileage left on it :oops:

They say it comes in threes so hopefully thats all that can go wrong today ....... FML :roll:
I'd have cut my losses at the dumbell incident and left the bike in the garage. Maybe sit and break a few matches. :silent:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Took a ride to the Ace Cafe for breakfast- nice ride avoiding motorways and got the chance to use my heated grips before the sun broke through. Very happy with both grips and breakfast
Attachments
4DE892FE-F410-4E15-82E4-3CA23463ED30.jpeg
4DE892FE-F410-4E15-82E4-3CA23463ED30.jpeg (110.98 KiB) Viewed 554 times
1FB50897-E335-4D4C-9323-2F60A15AA670.jpeg
1FB50897-E335-4D4C-9323-2F60A15AA670.jpeg (104.68 KiB) Viewed 554 times
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Very nearly had to shred my “man card” after spending the best part of an hour failing to set up the toe-in of my road bikes brakes. I then found that I’d put one of the washers with a concave surface on the brake pad the wrong way round….

Klutz!
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Took mother-in-law out to Bluewater. She is disabled and has dementia. Went for a cup of tea in M&S, she sat there and told me and Mrs. Gremlin that we were 'getting on her nerves' and that we were 'a bunch of cunts'.

You either laugh or cry. :lol:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Druid

Post by Druid »

I moved some stuff out of the garage

so I could replace the manky flooring with carpet tiles (thanks to cheb)

Then I put most of the stuff back into the garage

and took the stuff that wouldn't fit to the tip.
Skub

Post by Skub »

@Druid You're another one with all the reg plates on the back wall. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Druid

Post by Druid »

Yes, all the way back to a Suzuki T500 I had in 1981
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Went to my Daughters for dinner. Lovely day and had fun watching this pair of maniacs. Brand new house and their drains were blocked! I suspect builders crap or pastie wrappers down there? :roll: Anyway, manhole covers off and hosepipes shoved into shit and an hour later all was flowing well. S'what Dads are for innit! :lol:

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Druid wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:22 pm Yes, all the way back to a Suzuki T500 I had in 1981
That VFR plate always stuck me as a bad omen :lol:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Taipan wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:10 pm S'what Dads are for innit! :lol:
My SDad used to be handed knives and the steel when he walked in!! LOL I've never been able to sharpen a knife well with a steel, so that was something he always did!! LOL (Made carving easier as generally if he was there, everyone was there for dinner!)

But he did also help me with lots of DIY stuff! :D :D Dads rock! :banana-wrench: :banana-wrench:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Half of me feels that I haven't had a productive day, but I have really

Done some paperwork I've been putting off for ages!

Made ginger cake - I'm going to the valley tomorrow and seeing various friends; whilst it's nice to take cake, it's actually really good for me to bake (mentally good) so I can only really do that when I'm seeing people that I can give cake to!! LOL (Physio, teacher and friends will all appreciate it!)

Sorted a load of wool out cos I'm off to cat sit in another resort from Friday so need to sort out some unfinished projects to take with me! Might add a cross stitch project too!

Put some dried fruit to soak in alcohol. When I get back from the cat sit I will probably make christmas cake and mincemeat for mince pies, so soaking the fruit is a good start!

Sorted out some finished projects that I need to post tomorrow

And now, I have to do my French homework! I do leave it until the day before the lesson but mainly so I can actually remember what I've done when I have the lesson!!

Before the lesson tomorrow, I'm meeting with the boss of the company I'm working for this winter. Another friend (who has worked for him for years) has suggested I ask nicely if I can rent a van from him for a few weeks!! Gotta see how the chat goes before I drop that in but would be handy to get to lessons and physio in the valley! Now the resort physio has gone home for the interseason, I need to get down to the valley a lot!! LOL

It's been a good day considering the weather is doing that rare version of a slightly colder wet/grey/english day :( :(

Here's hoping for sunshine tomorrow :banana-dance:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:35 am
I've never been able to sharpen a knife well with a steel...
There may be a good reason for that. :D

'A so-called sharpening steel—also called a honing rod—which is the metal rod sold with most knife sets, doesn't really sharpen a knife, but rather hones the edge of a slightly dulled blade. Sweeping the blade along the steel realigns the edge so you don't have to sharpen as frequently.'
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Driven to Inveraray for the first night of a pootle round Scotland. Currently sat in the the bar at the Inveraray Inn.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Skub wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:58 pm @Druid You're another one with all the reg plates on the back wall. :lol:
I'd need another garage!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:46 pm
Noggin wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:35 am
I've never been able to sharpen a knife well with a steel...
There may be a good reason for that. :D

'A so-called sharpening steel—also called a honing rod—which is the metal rod sold with most knife sets, doesn't really sharpen a knife, but rather hones the edge of a slightly dulled blade. Sweeping the blade along the steel realigns the edge so you don't have to sharpen as frequently.'
I was taught how at college, but even there I couldn't!! Now (as a 1.5-armed-kack-handed bird) I have a little thingy from amazon that I run them through!! Haven't attempted to use a steel for over 20 years!! LOL :lol: :lol: