What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Noggin »

A friend came round this morning to help me sort out the benches/sofas. Well, TBF, he was going to sort them. I don't get involved as he's a perfectionist!! LOL

So, I just do the dismantling of what's there, then he rebuilds!!

I now have this - just need to cut the sponge mattress I have to make cushions for one side and cover the ones i have on the other side!

After I dismantled the left hand side, I was able to 'get to' the wall socket that has had an extension lead in it for years. I'd wired up the new multi socket last night (have had the new sockets for probably a year whilst I waited for more hand/arm ability and to build a bit more courage!!)

Whilst Rich was out in the corridor building the new bench, I go on with putting the new socket on the wall where I wanted it and then flipped the electricity off so I could wire the new cable to the socket on the wall

I haven't 'drilled' out the wall for the cable because one day maybe I'll get someone to do a full rewire properly so no point making even more dust/damage!!

But damn I'm proud!

Flipped the lecky back on and the sockets work :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:

The other socket I wanted to do I wasn't allowed to :roll: Rich came back in as I was looking at it and decided to take over :roll: But hey, I'd got the socket block on the wall so he just did the wiring together bit.

I think maybe he thought it was a drama to turn off the electric as he did it 'live' - something I wasn't willing to do with my FUF history!!! But he'd asked his wife to bring something up from their chalet so at least she was there as responsible adult if he shocked himself!! LOL

He didn't. And so I'm two extension leads down :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde: Been a long time coming!!! AND - I did lecktrickery without hurting myself or anyone else!! :banana-wrench: :banana-wrench: :banana-wrench: :angelic-green:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ogri

Post by ogri »

No offence, but there is no way i would have left that broken socket exposed like that in a 'clumsy' (sorry) persons place.
Ignorance is bliss
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

ogri wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:29 pm No offence, but there is no way i would have left that broken socket exposed like that in a 'clumsy' (sorry) persons place.
It's now totally out of sight/protected by the sofa/bench thingy. No one and see it or get to it!! I hadn't realised (remembered) it was broken or I'd have tried to get new cover. But as it's not touchable without dismantling the sofa/bench, I'll leave it for now!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Dropped Mrs M's naughty X trail off at the garage for some suspension work (it has a wobble and knock). It's the car that the garage love to hate as Nissans nuts and bolts don't like living near the sea and tend to rust into solid lumps that need the gas axe to undo. Expecting a big bill, place your bets here.
Last edited by MingtheMerciless on Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:05 am Nissans nuts and bolts don't like living near the sea and tend to rust into solid lumps
Is that because they're half Fronch?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've discovered if I point my car key at the drivers door handle and hold the unlock button, it folds the roof away!

I had wondered what the little black panel on the drivers door handle was, it's an IR receiver.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Most cars I've ever owned will open/close the windows if you hold the unlock/lock buttons down. I'm surprised you have to hold the key up to the door on the merc to do the roof...

Today I finally visited one of the community orchards here in MK. They're just free for all orchards planted around the city. This particular one has over 300 apple trees.

I left with about 4kg of free apples, I'm ccurrentpy combining them with the chillis I've been growing in my garden to make apple and chilli jelly. The preserve kind of jelly that is, not the sort you have with ice cream.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Staying near Oban for the week so popped along to their Highland Games.

A nice day out was had by Mrs S and I but definitely a bit toasty to be sitting about.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Scotsrich wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:19 pm Staying near Oban for the week so popped along to their Highland Games.

A nice day out was had by Mrs S and I but definitely a bit toasty to be sitting about.
What do you hardy lot call toasty?

18c ?
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

At some point today the contracts on our house will be complete and we'll need to vacate the property, with nowhere to go. The VW Crafter conversion should be ready around the end of October so until then it's a couple of nights in an Airbnb, camping for a couple of weeks, I go to Ireland, wifey goes house sitting and we'll meet up around the start of October for probably more camping.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Pirahna wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:16 am At some point today the contracts on our house will be complete and we'll need to vacate the property, with nowhere to go. The VW Crafter conversion should be ready around the end of October so until then it's a couple of nights in an Airbnb, camping for a couple of weeks, I go to Ireland, wifey goes house sitting and we'll meet up around the start of October for probably more camping.
I hear it's quite nice under Brighton Pier in the winter. Lots of parties.
Lockdown refugee
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Pirahna wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:16 am At some point today the contracts on our house will be complete and we'll need to vacate the property, with nowhere to go. The VW Crafter conversion should be ready around the end of October so until then it's a couple of nights in an Airbnb, camping for a couple of weeks, I go to Ireland, wifey goes house sitting and we'll meet up around the start of October for probably more camping.
That's a pretty exciting outlook! Hope it goes well for you! Let us know how you're getting on when you're out on the open road. :thumbup:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Currently turning a 2.5KG tin of Rega Rega San Marzano tomatoes into an Arrabbiata sauce. I'm also trying to convince my wife not to batch it into bags and freeze it, rather just leave it on the stove top and reheat it each day. Sadly, i think i'll lose that argument.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Just got back from Canterbury seeing an old friend - gentle ride home on the A2 with a morning head -
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Drove back from Poole where the family and I had our holiday. Sadly this morning I had to phone my oldest brother and cry with him as his wife passed away early this morning from Covid related issues. Heart breaking and we lived just a few minutes apart as youngsters back in SA. He is still there and fortunately his daughters are with him at the moment. RIP Jennifer, let light perpetual shine upon you.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

the_priest wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:52 pm Drove back from Poole where the family and I had our holiday. Sadly this morning I had to phone my oldest brother and cry with him as his wife passed away early this morning from Covid related issues. Heart breaking and we lived just a few minutes apart as youngsters back in SA. He is still there and fortunately his daughters are with him at the moment. RIP Jennifer, let light perpetual shine upon you.
Awful news, my condolences to you and your family.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Power went out at midnight......nothing unusual about that over here, but this morning still sans electric!
Out to the garage, Find a UK plug, cut the end off a french extension lead and then run power from the invertor in the Moho to the house. We could only run 1 appliance at a time, but at least the freezer didn't defrost whilst the nice man from EDF sorted the issue out!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:01 pm Today I finally visited one of the community orchards here in MK. They're just free for all orchards planted around the city. This particular one has over 300 apple trees.
T'was plums today....only this time it was the tree at the end of my street. I took an old bed sheet and an enthusiastic 3 year old who is more than happy to shake a tree.

I'm attempting to turn this lot into a Chinese style plum sauce.

Its funny, I never paid much attention to the amount of free food in the parks. Last year I just spontaneously started looking out for it, I now know where I can fill my boots with blackberries, plums, apples, quinces and sweet chestnuts all within 10 minutes of my house. Of course its all as fresh as it can be so it generally knocks the socks off what you can buy.

There are also a load of Sloe bushes at the end of my street too, but I don't really have anything in mind to do with them.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Beech mast is worth getting if you can. There used to be very productive sweet chestnuts at Farnborough Main railway station.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:45 pm There are also a load of Sloe bushes at the end of my street too, but I don't really have anything in mind to do with them.
Sloe gin for the win.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955