General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Felix

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Felix »

gremlin wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:03 pm
Felix wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:35 am
Yambo wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:17 am

Go for it!
It might be due to the old man crush she dumped her.
Corrected for you. ;)
Thats the old man crush theory gone then :thumbup:
Potter

Post by Potter »

I nip to the shop and park up next to two lads standing by a car, they look late teens/early 20's, one of them finishes his sandwich and throws the packet on the floor, then throws an empty small can of Pringles on the floor.

I weigh up the situation, he's got an attitude about him and there is no way he'll pick them up without a confrontation if I say something, if he gets lively then I'm going to smack him right in the mouth and he looks like he can have a fight, not enough of one to beat me but he won't lie down easily, so I'll have to stamp his face into the floor. I've been here before and I know how it ends, I'll end up on remand facing a GBH or Wounding charge. Jail isn't bad when you're young but I'm too busy these days to get sent away on a S18 offence.

So I look at the mess on the floor, decide that jail isn't worth a Tesco sandwich wrapper and an empty packet of Pringles and walk inside for my milk and newspaper. These urban rats are basically untouchable these days, if you say something you risk abuse and violence, if you're capable of beating them with abuse and violence you face jail. It's sad state of affairs.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Ain't just the yoots, though. I was filling up the bike a while back, scabby Transit pulls in, not to get fuel or buy anything. No, just pulls up, middle-aged passenger opens the door, kicks out all the accumulated detritus of past takeaways and Daily Stars onto the forecourt, closes the door and off they drive.

WTF.

As you say, there's always been a feral underclass, but back in the day you have your man horse whip them. Now you're up on a charge and they'll sue you for compo.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

You could always put it in the bin yourself. That'd show 'em ;)
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

slowsider wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:07 pm You could always put it in the bin yourself. That'd show 'em ;)
I am a fully-fledged member of the Friends of Tugmutton Common, I'll have you know. Along with bulb planting, in-depth discussions about where to place benches and moaning about inconsiderate parked cars, we go litter picking.
My prowess with a litter picker is the envy of the group every third Saturday of the month...
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:12 pm
slowsider wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:07 pm You could always put it in the bin yourself. That'd show 'em ;)
I am a fully-fledged member of the Friends of Tugmutton Common, I'll have you know. Along with bulb planting, in-depth discussions about where to place benches and moaning about inconsiderate parked cars, we go litter picking.
My prowess with a litter picker is the envy of the group every third Saturday of the month...
Do you have a chap to do it for you?
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

gremlin wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:50 pm Ain't just the yoots, though. I was filling up the bike a while back, scabby Transit pulls in, not to get fuel or buy anything. No, just pulls up, middle-aged passenger opens the door, kicks out all the accumulated detritus of past takeaways and Daily Stars onto the forecourt, closes the door and off they drive.

WTF.

As you say, there's always been a feral underclass, but back in the day you have your man horse whip them. Now you're up on a charge and they'll sue you for compo.
That guy was one of Potter's youths 10/20 years ago. yes - the inability to teach kids basic manners and politeness has been around for a long time now.
non quod, sed quomodo
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

gremlin wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:12 pm
Fair play. More than I do, although I have been known to tidy up outside my road frontage.

But Feral Yoof doesnt see that happening. He prolly thinks 'cahncil duz cleanin' innit', whereas if someone like Potter picked it up and gave him a Paddington bear Stare he'd soon change his habits.
;)
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

slowsider wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:30 pm whereas if someone like Potter picked it up and gave him a Paddington bear Stare he'd soon change his habits.
;)
Feral youf is more likely to see anything like that as challenging to his manliness.
non quod, sed quomodo
Potter

Post by Potter »

Rockburner wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:40 pm
slowsider wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:30 pm whereas if someone like Potter picked it up and gave him a Paddington bear Stare he'd soon change his habits.
;)
Feral youf is more likely to see anything like that as challenging to his manliness.
That ^
I did think about just picking the litter up, saying nothing and walking off to put it in the bin, but I knew I'd get grief, he looked the type that would have a lot to say and then wouldn't hesitate in making a statement to the police if he came worst off.

The thing that gets me is that it's not a big thing, but it's too hard to do anything about because of the potential consequences, the authorities are apathetic and don't seem to care, so if you stick your nose in and try to do the right thing you'd end up the loser.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Potter wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:20 am
Rockburner wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:40 pm
;)
That ^
I did think about just picking the litter up, saying nothing and walking off to put it in the bin, but I knew I'd get grief, he looked the type that would have a lot to say and then wouldn't hesitate in making a statement to the police if he came worst off.

The thing that gets me is that it's not a big thing, but it's too hard to do anything about because of the potential consequences, the authorities are apathetic and don't seem to care, so if you stick your nose in and try to do the right thing you'd end up the loser.
A tricky situation indeed and I 100% see why you decided to do what you did.
Personally I'd like to think I would have said something fairly polite as sometimes that's enough to embarrass those sort of pricks. That said if I got ANY 'push back' from him, I would fold like a cheap hooker that got punched in the guts.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:50 pm Ain't just the yoots, though. I was filling up the bike a while back, scabby Transit pulls in, not to get fuel or buy anything. No, just pulls up, middle-aged passenger opens the door, kicks out all the accumulated detritus of past takeaways and Daily Stars onto the forecourt, closes the door and off they drive.

WTF.

All on CCTV no doubt....wonder what vehicle the reg plates link to? Sounds like an ongoing campaign against the petrol station who probably shopped his boy, Seth for nicking fuel after he forgot that his car plates were legit.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Jody

Post by Jody »

When products are sold that simply don't work :(

A few weeks ago my boss sourced me little plug in sonar devices that repel mice, rats, mosquitos etc for our mobile homes.

This weekend is the first time most the mobile homes have had occupants this season. I've had 2 complaints* in 2 days about suspected mice in the ceiling :(

* To be fair to the guests, it's more of a comment than a complaint, they have both been relaxed about it.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Jody wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:17 am When products are sold that simply don't work :(

A few weeks ago my boss sourced me little plug in sonar devices that repel mice, rats, mosquitos etc for our mobile homes.

This weekend is the first time most the mobile homes have had occupants this season. I've had 2 complaints* in 2 days about suspected mice in the ceiling :(

* To be fair to the guests, it's more of a comment than a complaint, they have both been relaxed about it.

I have one in my kitchen and it works fine when it's switched on.

Except, after a power cut it doesn't restart itself. We have enough power cuts for that to be a nuisance.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

The 5 little DFL fare evading shits on the train this morning that decided to spit on the OBS as they didn’t have tickets and she wanted them off the train. Utter scum.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Horse

Post by Horse »

Jody wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:17 am When products are sold that simply don't work :(

IIRC the ultrasonic ones need to be 'line of sight', the sound won't penetrate walls or even into cupboards.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Jody

Post by Jody »

Horse wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:10 am

IIRC the ultrasonic ones need to be 'line of sight', the sound won't penetrate walls or even into cupboards.
Ohh wow, thanks, that's hugely significant, the devices are in the main room, the mice are in the ceiling !
Jody

Post by Jody »

:thumbdown: :o :thumbdown:

This is going to be expensive, particularly as the engine is making a "snick Snick" noise
Ant

Post by Ant »

The talk on the news of little tiny trees. These trees may not be micro trees, but they're small enough to be called milli trees.

Then I realised that the thick people are trying to say 'military'. Mil-i-ta-ry - it has four syllables, try pronouncing them, thick news readers.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Jody wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:11 pm This is going to be expensive, particularly as the engine is making a "snick Snick" noise
Holy shit! Good luck.