Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Pirahna

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Pirahna »

Felix wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:33 pm
Pirahna wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:14 pm
Felix wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:17 pm Every other car in my we town is an EV. Think its mostly BMW drivers who bought them as the fuckers never use indicators. Does it save that much battery being a cunt?
You should move to Spain, the driving schools are state run so everyone learns to drive the same way. Learners are taught to drive around multi lane roundabouts in the outside land and are never taught to use indicators. This translates to almost nobody using an indicator anywhere at any time.
That would do my tits in. I hate sitting at a roundabout waiting for someone to pass for them only turn into the road you are leaving. I have started to just drive out. Horn = slow down to annoy them more.
Use of the horn is illegal (I'm not joking). What's required is a lot of patience.
Felix

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Felix »

Pirahna wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:53 pm

Use of the horn is illegal (I'm not joking). What's required is a lot of patience.
And is the horn still requited for the MOT? Should have went to Italy as they seem more civilised and make better wine.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Tesla stock shit the bed by 12% today...
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

8,356 Tows in 3 Days with E.V's Frozen & Charging stations out of service in the Midwest according to AAA...
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Hopefully we wont see Chicago temps here, but still not all is well3 in every case...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i ... 79970.html
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Managed to initiate a *Tesla Swerve* this morning with the ShitBox Honda. Came steaming up to the right hander behind a Tesla. He *over slowed" for the corner which had me closing to within about 3-4ft of his bumper at the apex. No danger of hitting him etc. Tesla suddenly swerved right towards to kerb as the road straightened & slowed where you'd normally be accelerating. I swerved left a bit & went around him.

Tesla need to sort this out.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I was reading earlier that Alpine have a sporty Renault Five planned, I'd like to imagine it as a modern (electric) version of the Renault Five Turbo.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've just been shocked at how cheap 2nd hand three year old Model 3 Tesla's are.

I guess a lot were sold on three year PCP deals and got handed back.

Theres a shit load for sale, but the nearest one to me on Auto Trader is a 70 plate Standard Range Plus with just under 50k on the clock for £21k!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:20 am I guess a lot were sold on three year PCP deals and got handed back.
Probably salary sacrifice actually...due to the 0%/1%/2% BIK tax rate on EVs (it's changed recently) they're cheap to get through company/fleet schemes.

I've just looked, it'd be £484pcm for me to have one, no deposit, fully insured/serviced/taxed etc. for 3 years. Kinda weird that our work scheme lets us buy cars from the competition :D

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, I had a look at ICE cars. If I search for BMW 3ers (I..e nominally the same sort of car as a Tesla) and filter by "newer than 2020" and "more than 50k" they start at £18k...

So the Tesla still ain't that cheap?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... -from=2020
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:19 am Using the heater would take some power from the battery and warm it yeah, but you're talking about sucking 1 or 2kW from a battery built to supply a couple of hundred kW, so it probably won't move the needle much.

'Normal' car batteries are of course much much smaller, so the headlights etc represent a bigger chunk.

Bigger source of heat is the motor coolant, most EVs can pump the motor/controller coolant around the battery to warm it. Kinda relies on the car being in motion :D Even then, the efficiency is generally so high there's not much waste heat to be used in that way.
Years ago (probs about 30+) SAAB experimented with a coolant/heating system that heated a liquid (not sure if it was primary coolant or a secondary circuit) when the engine was hot and stored it in a large "thermos" in the engine bay and would use this to warm the engine to near normal operating temperatures prior to start to reduce engine wear and easy start up on cold mornings. It was very effective but came at a significant weight and complexity penalty so wasn't pursued.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I miss SAAB :(

Well I miss the proper Swedish SAAB who did shit like that ^. Not the rebadged Vectras (which were heavily reengineered in secret at great cost anyway, it turns out :D )
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Currently (IGMC) trying to suss out the PHEV's charging App and our Zappi wall charger App to get it to charge in the Economy 7 period. I tried it last night but the car and the charger got into a bit of an electronic spat and decided to ignore each other!

Also, for those of us with a Radio Operated Economy 7 Meter, the BBC are turning off the Radio signal that tells the meters to switch over in March 2024. You'll need to bite the bullet and get a Smart Meter if you want Economy 7 to still work.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:45 am I miss SAAB :(

Well I miss the proper Swedish SAAB who did shit like that ^. Not the rebadged Vectras (which were heavily reengineered in secret at great cost anyway, it turns out :D )
I had one of them. It was a great car, (for a stylised Vectra), and I'm trying to remember why I got rid of it.....

I loved the "night-view" on the instrument dash (nothing but speedo and full beam lights), the central key and the seats.
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I had a 900 like that too. Great car. Worse than a rebadged Vectra though, it's a rebadged Cavalier!

The seats had "Turbo" proudly emblazed across 'em in contrast stitching. I think they must have forgotten to add the word "Diesel"?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:35 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:45 am I miss SAAB :(

I had one of them. It was a great car, (for a stylised Vectra), and I'm trying to remember why I got rid of it.....

I loved the "night-view" on the instrument dash (nothing but speedo and full beam lights), the central key and the seats.
You were probably threatened with a charge of 'imitating an architect' and told to cease and desist. :D

There's still a few around locally, all look in pretty good shape.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Them Chinese need to stop building so many coal power plants and focus more on green energy. Otherwise it's pointless us doing anything.

Renewable enegy will never be more than a side show in teh UK anyway so I don't know why we bother.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:03 pm Them Chinese need to stop building so many coal power plants and focus more on green energy. Otherwise it's pointless us doing anything.

Renewable enegy will never be more than a side show in teh UK anyway so I don't know why we bother.
There's me thinking they were going to be links to ZRX's favourite, www.climatechangedishcloth :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:45 pm There's me thinking they were going to be links to ZRX's favourite, www.climatechangedishcloth :lol:
All CCD does is post links to other sources, often Government sources, & they allow you to view reports from places behind paywalls etc. We already had one muppet on here badmouth CCD & then post a link to a report that agreed with his viewpoint/agenda... that was also on CCD.
Maybe I'll add the links to the paywalled sources you can't see...
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Potter wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:12 am I was reading earlier that Alpine have a sporty Renault Five planned, I'd like to imagine it as a modern (electric) version of the Renault Five Turbo.
Saw it at the Goodwood Festival of Speed last year. If they actually build it as they did the prototype version, they'll sell loads. It really looked like a modern Renault 5 turbo.
https://www.renault.co.uk/concept-cars- ... otype.html
Potter

Post by Potter »

Nordboy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:57 am
Potter wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:12 am I was reading earlier that Alpine have a sporty Renault Five planned, I'd like to imagine it as a modern (electric) version of the Renault Five Turbo.
Saw it at the Goodwood Festival of Speed last year. If they actually build it as they did the prototype version, they'll sell loads. It really looked like a modern Renault 5 turbo.
https://www.renault.co.uk/concept-cars- ... otype.html
Yeah that's what I thought, an electric hot hatch, if performance matches the looks then it will be great.