Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Horse

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:32 amGreat to see they're not SUVs though! If you're gonna go for efficiency and range there's deffo alot to be said for a low sleek saloon.
Although when Volvo started in BTC they used the 'estate' profile. Supposedly for aerodynamics, not comedy value.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/image/t ... 278/9_1/10
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It's more about the frontal area though - literally what you'd think: bigger worse than smaller :D The 850 of course had the same frontal area for the saloon and estate, so after that the shape is the big difference. Big fat SUVs are relative parachutes/barn doors compared to saloons.

Notice how these cars all tend to have gently sloping rears though. As loads of people know the way teh air leaves the car is critical to drag, probably more than the front end. So they have these Kammback style rear ends. It's really obvious on Teslas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kammback
Horse

Post by Horse »

You're reaching the limits of my knowledge here, and that's based on a chat 40 years ago with an ex-aircraft designer I was working with.
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:11 am It's more about the frontal area though - literally what you'd think: bigger worse than smaller :D
Actually, I wouldn't :D

I'd think maximum cross sectional area ;)
Notice how these cars all tend to have gently sloping rears though. As loads of people know the way teh air leaves the car is critical to drag, probably more than the front end.
He said, for typical vehicles, the teardrop should be (IIRC) 3.5:1 length ...
So they these Kammback style rear ends. It's really obvious on Teslas.
... but that the front could be blunted and about 15% could be chopped off without too much adverse effect.

From the link
The ideal shape to minimize drag is a "teardrop," a smooth airfoil-like shape, but it is not practical for road vehicles because of size constraints. However, researchers, including Kamm, found that abruptly cutting off the tail resulted in a minimal increase in drag.

Kamm's design is based on the tail being truncated at the point where the cross section area is 50% of the car's maximum cross-section
So that's different.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

There is no one solution and obviously you need to fit a boot in etc as well. Electric cars give you way more options though because packaging all the drive parts in is way easier. You also dont need to supply thousands of litres of air to the engine every minute and get rid of 700°C exhaust gases etc.

You just end up with general trends in shape, which is why so many EVs look similar. Convergent evolution.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:54 am There is no one solution and obviously you need to fit a boot in etc as well. Electric cars give you way more options though because packaging all the drive parts in is way easier.

You just end up with general trends in shape, which is why so many EVs look similar. Convergent evolution.
I remember posting on TRC or VD that electric power provided a great opportunity to rethink bike design/layout away from the traditional bicycle + engine format.

But rider conservative attitudes won't allow it ;)
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Horse wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:58 am I remember posting on TRC or VD that electric power provided a great opportunity to rethink bike design/layout away from the traditional bicycle + engine format.

But rider conservative attitudes won't allow it ;)
While I was at the RockStore recently, no less than SEVEN HD LiveWire electric bikes pulled in. One arrived solo, then a while later the other 6 showed up together. One of the 6 had a small bar mounted screen, which partially broke off when the pillock riding it fell over when he stopped. It hit the exhaust of a mates Triumph Sprint, but didn't lave a mark.
It then took to combined efforts of ALL SIX to figure out how to pop the fastener back in the screen to reattach it. Not all at the same time, they worked in shifts of 4 for a total 30 minutes.
The bloke who arrived solo was with us on Vultures Row at the top of the steps. His only comment was "Having watched that farce, I wish I left mine at home today"
It looked like a hipster convention. During the reattachment performance there was always one filming the comedy with a cell phone... so they now have 30minute of video of them being unable to comprehend how to loosen & then tighten a fastener.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Would the outcome have been different with a petrol engined bike?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:02 pm Would the outcome have been different with a petrol engined bike?
Probably... No one riding a proper bike fell over in the parking lot.

I'm pretty sure in any group of 6 people riding together, you'd have at least three or four who had a basic understanding of how to loosen & then tighten a nut/bolt
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:36 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:02 pm Would the outcome have been different with a petrol engined bike?
Probably... No one riding a proper bike fell over in the parking lot.

I'm pretty sure in any group of 6 people riding together, you'd have at least three or four who had a basic understanding of how to loosen & then tighten a nut/bolt
Can I interest you in some beans?

These days you'll be lucky if 1 in 6 understand that coffee comes from them....
non quod, sed quomodo
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

US Energy Sec went on a 4 State tour to promote EV's.. in EV's.. Had difficulty finding charging spots & in one case had a staffer in a gas car occupy a charging spot until she showed up to use it... That stunt caused someone wanting to charge their EV to call the cops... which lead to the cops stating that it's not illegal to use a EV charging/parking spot to park your gas powered car. :lol:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I commented on our new 'country park' yesterday. Wandering in I noticed a big green box with 'Danger of Death' stickers etc. Wondered why they needed an electricity sub-station for a park. Had a look at the park web site today. 60 parking spaces, 10 of which are charging points. That's the way to do it. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

ChrisW wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:34 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:15 am Image
That’s the first BMW I’ve liked the look of for ages. I’ll hold off until I’ve seen the front, though. Just in case.
Just seen this. It’s a Saab 99 that’s been polished.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:47 amThe purification claims are just straight up weird.
And were banned by the ASA:
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) found that while the car does filter incoming air, it still releases pollutants from tyre and brake wear, with road tyres being a huge source of toxic particle pollution. Hyundai considered it had corroborated its claims, making clear it did not intend to suggest the vehicle left no particulates in the air, but the ASA ruled the ad was misleading and should not be used again.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ing-claims
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:15 am Image
Looks like it was designed in the '70's & they added Clown Shoe wheels.

Edit: First & third Gen Corolla...
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

...and they've delayed the 'no more new petrol cars' rule.

Never saw that coming. Much. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:50 pm ...and they've delayed the 'no more new petrol cars' rule.

Haven't Germany already done the same?
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

If they hadnt they would have been unelectable. Mind you, they still may be.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:50 pm ...and they've delayed the 'no more new petrol cars' rule.

Not only that but they've added in a "other countries need to do more stuff" bonus.

Its almost like they're trying (desperately) to appeal to a certain demographic :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

It’s the only practical solution.
I don’t know if many of you get out of Europe much but it’s laughable to think that the UK would have any impact on the planet even if ICE cars were banned today.

Everyone knows that and they know it’s punitive to push EVs onto them.