Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:24 am Was reading a thread about a guy doing a round trip of about 1900 miles on another forum. He had a spreadsheet for distance/charging stops/Kw etc, but left out charging times... this was mentioned & he duly provided the info.

It occurred to me that it's actually faster to refuel a horse than an EV, altho they don't got quite so far on a bucket of oats & a flake of hay...
When I worked at R-R there was a guy who commuted by horse :D

My 'rents have just picked up their electric Mini, which now makes me the only member of my immediate family without an EV.
636mick

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by 636mick »

I’ve spent the last couple of months looking for a hybrid, mainly because I can charge it at work so have nil travel costs.
The problem I’ve encountered is that, I assume due to the weight of the battery/motor, most hybrids have a massively reduced towing capacity. My caravan weighs about 1400kg, which my 4 series can tow easily, most hybrids seem to be a max of about 750-1200kg tow limit.
Still looking but going off the idea a bit!!
Mick
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

636mick wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:28 am I’ve spent the last couple of months looking for a hybrid, mainly because I can charge it at work so have nil travel costs.
The problem I’ve encountered is that, I assume due to the weight of the battery/motor, most hybrids have a massively reduced towing capacity. My caravan weighs about 1400kg, which my 4 series can tow easily, most hybrids seem to be a max of about 750-1200kg tow limit.
Mick
Towing calculations don't seem to be that simple, for a braked trailer a heavier car should be better, most EVs are bad but I assumed it was because they didn't want anyone towing with them.
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Mussels wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:04 am
636mick wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:28 am I’ve spent the last couple of months looking for a hybrid, mainly because I can charge it at work so have nil travel costs.
Mick
Towing calculations don't seem to be that simple, for a braked trailer a heavier car should be better, most EVs are bad but I assumed it was because they didn't want anyone towing with them.
I’m guessing it’s to do with the gross train weight, but I thought the same, a heavier car should be a higher towing capacity, perhaps it is because they aren’t sure about towing with an EV. I’ve seen plenty that do though.
Mick
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

EV's should be ideal for towing - electric powertrains are almost perfect for the application, hence why any kind of industrial draggy-thing is often electric. Trains being the obvious example, even Diesel trains use electric motors for the actual traction.

The Tesla 4x4 for example can tow >2 tonnes. It's the range which takes a spanking when you drag a parachute behind you :lol:

I suspect the low published figures are based on what OEMs have bothered to homologate, based on what they expect people to actually do. None of the cars I work on have a towing rating, they wouldn't even if they were ICE, so it's not something I'm exposed to.
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Totally agree, EV should be ideal as a tow car. Everyday cars, Mondeo for example, braked trailer max is 750kg, BMW 3 series 1200, Kuga 1200.
Strange, the manufacturers are missing a trick I think.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Import a Rivian, it's rated to tow 4900+Kgs
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Chassis strength and rear axle are factors and I suspect a big reason older 4x4s can tow a lot more than estate car.
My old Jeep and the Jag are the same weight, size, engine power and almost same brakes. The Jag limit is 1,850Kg and the Jeep 3,500Kg
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:17 am Import a Rivian, it's rated to tow 4900+Kgs
Supposed to be coming to the UK this year.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:44 am
My 'rents have just picked up their electric Mini, which now makes me the only member of my immediate family without an EV.
Remind us which branch of which industry you work in :lol:
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

636mick wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:06 am Totally agree, EV should be ideal as a tow car. Everyday cars, Mondeo for example, braked trailer max is 750kg, BMW 3 series 1200, Kuga 1200.
Strange, the manufacturers are missing a trick I think.
Ain't that unbraked. Mondeos can tow caravans a lot more than 750kg.
Yamaha rocket 3
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Horse wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:50 pm
Do as I say, not as I do. :D
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Copy and paste from https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-rules-f ... utumn-2021

Licences issued before 1 January 1997
You are not affected by the changes if you passed your car driving test before 1 January 1997.

You’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg maximum authorised mass (MAM). View your driving licence information to check.

You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

MAM is the limit on how much the vehicle can weigh when it’s loaded.

Licences issued from 1 January 1997 to 18 January 2013
If you passed your car driving test from 1 January 1997 to 18 January 2013, you were allowed to drive either of the following:

a car or van up to 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM (up to 4,250kg in total)
a trailer over 750kg MAM, as long as it is no more than the unladen weight of the towing vehicle (up to 3,500kg in total)
You’ve had to pass a car and trailer driving test if you want to tow anything heavier.

Licences issued from 19 January 2013
If you passed your car driving test from 19 January 2013, you were allowed to drive either of the following:

a car or van up to 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM (up to 4,250kg in total)
a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg
You’ve had to pass a car and trailer driving test if you want to tow anything heavier.

What changed on 16 December 2021
If you passed your car driving test from 1 January 1997, you’re now allowed to tow trailers up to 3,500kg MAM.

Check your car’s handbook to find out its gross train weight (GTW). This is the total allowable weight of the car plus the trailer plus the load
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Horse wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:50 pm
Yeah that was my point :lol:

Hoping I'll get an EV on my next iteration on the company scheme, next summer. They change what cars are available every quarter so its a bit of roulette.

My boss had one on the scheme but they bought it back off him to sell to a member of the public. You can't refuse! Luckily he got another one to replace it rather than a squirrel killing V8.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:16 am EV's should be ideal for towing - electric powertrains are almost perfect for the application, hence why any kind of industrial draggy-thing is often electric. Trains being the obvious example, even Diesel trains use electric motors for the actual traction.

The Tesla 4x4 for example can tow >2 tonnes. It's the range which takes a spanking when you drag a parachute behind you :lol:

I suspect the low published figures are based on what OEMs have bothered to homologate, based on what they expect people to actually do. None of the cars I work on have a towing rating, they wouldn't even if they were ICE, so it's not something I'm exposed to.
Some Ford SuperDuty's can tow about 15 tons.. even the *baby* F150 can tow 7 tons
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Latest from the WSJ:

https://climatechangedispatch.com/brace ... re-coming/

(CCD link bypasses the WSJ paywall)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:00 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:16 am EV's should be ideal for towing - electric powertrains are almost perfect for the application, hence why any kind of industrial draggy-thing is often electric. Trains being the obvious example, even Diesel trains use electric motors for the actual traction.

Some Ford SuperDuty's can tow about 15 tons.. even the *baby* F150 can tow 7 tons
No it can't.

8200lb, AKA about four tonnes.

https://www.imlaycityfordsales.com/rese ... 20capacity.

Super duty can do 14000lb/7 tonnes but that's basically a commercial vehicle. As your man says, towing capacity is gonna be massively influenced by the structure of the vehicle, I.e. you have to build the car for it. If you don't expect people to tow 7 tonnes you're just not gonna make the car strong enough, there's no point. Waste of metal.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:02 pm Latest from the WSJ:

https://climatechangedispatch.com/brace ... re-coming/

(CCD link bypasses the WSJ paywall)
The same can’t be said of its electric vehicles, which lost $3.1 billion during the first nine months of this year.

Pfft, amateurs. We've never made a profit in over 10 years of operation.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:12 pm
Pfft, amateurs. We've never made a profit in over 10 years of operation.
Clever accountants?
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Nah, good old fashioned genuine loss making :lol:

We were a start up, acquired by an OEM in 2021. We're actually on track to move to profit ahead of schedule ATM! But yeah, never made a profit.

Didn't stop said OEM paying 8 figures for us :wtf: