Car thread - which one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
KungFooBob

Re: Car thread - which one?

Post by KungFooBob »

The Cerbera is kind of a dream car, most of my many many hours playing Gran Turismo 2 on the Playstation was driving this...

v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

TVR with a Speed Six engine? Run a mile.and hide your wallet!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:02 pm The Cerbera is kind of a dream car, most of my many many hours playing Gran Turismo 2 on the Playstation was driving this...

It was a Tuscan that I was looking for and the colour of that one on sale up there ^^^^ is :thumbup:

I like the warranty comment on the site. 'Caveat emptor'. :D
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Yeah, I found the Tuscan because I was looking at Cerberas.

I remember the Tuscan being launched, the review cars were that flip paint, it was all the rage at the time, but it's aged better on the Tuscan than on the boy racers Corsas. IIRC the button that activated the door 'poppers' was on the underside of the wing mirror, that's about all I know about Tuscans... that and there's no traction control or stability program, so they can become a handful, very quickly.

EDIT:

Or was it the Griffith that tried to murder you every time you drove it?
Potter

Post by Potter »

I think they're all Marmite, I've never understood the attraction, my only real experience is the noise and that they're notorious for falling apart and being cobbled together somewhere near Blackpool.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

... by a bloke called Trevor.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

You should get a Trident Clipper
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:21 pm Yeah, I found the Tuscan because I was looking at Cerberas.

I remember the Tuscan being launched, the review cars were that flip paint, it was all the rage at the time, but it's aged better on the Tuscan than on the boy racers Corsas. IIRC the button that activated the door 'poppers' was on the underside of the wing mirror, that's about all I know about Tuscans... that and there's no traction control or stability program, so they can become a handful, very quickly.

EDIT:

Or was it the Griffith that tried to murder you every time you drove it?
The door opener thing had me completely foxed the first time I looked at one. :D

No traction control, stability program....or air bags iirc.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I know the official factory name for the standard Tuscan alloys was "Spider" but they only have 7 spokes...

Probably the only car which can legitimately wear flip paint IMO. Absolutely one of my favourite cars, no matter how daft they actually are. I'd have one as a 7th vehicle, after my Harley but before the 2CV :thumbup:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Wasn't there a TVR fan on the old site? I think he'd had more than one, used to do track days - and was handy with spanners.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Count Steer wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:26 pm Wasn't there a TVR fan on the old site? I think he'd had more than one, used to do track days - and was handy with spanners.
Photographer chap IIRC. Nine elms or something similar.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

It's still for sale then? :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Count Steer wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:26 pm Wasn't there a TVR fan on the old site? I think he'd had more than one, used to do track days - and was handy with spanners.
Biker2.8i wasn't it?
Potter

Post by Potter »

Count Steer wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:50 am It's still for sale then? :D
The TVR? It appears so.

I don't know about regular daily drivers but sports cars and exotic car sales are very slow at the moment, I'm a member of a couple of groups on FB and forums and nothing is selling unless it's very cheap. There is a bloke I know selling his Caterham, it's a genuinely good car and he's down at a price that seems a bit desperate but it's still sitting there, people are commenting that they can't believe it hasn't gone.
And every single one of the Ferraris I looked at are still for sale, I've had my eye on them monitoring prices and movement for at least a year now, and the ones I've been keeping an eye on are all still sitting there unsold.

The common story is that garages are not buying them in and will only sell them on commission, which is my experience too.
In 2021 they would offer you a price and collect next day, but it's all slowed down to a stop now.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:12 am
Count Steer wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:50 am It's still for sale then? :D
The TVR? It appears so.

I don't know about regular daily drivers but sports cars and exotic car sales are very slow at the moment, I'm a member of a couple of groups on FB and forums and nothing is selling unless it's very cheap. There is a bloke I know selling his Caterham, it's a genuinely good car and he's down at a price that seems a bit desperate but it's still sitting there, people are commenting that they can't believe it hasn't gone.
And every single one of the Ferraris I looked at are still for sale, I've had my eye on them monitoring prices and movement for at least a year now, and the ones I've been keeping an eye on are all still sitting there unsold.

The common story is that garages are not buying them in and will only sell them on commission, which is my experience too.
In 2021 they would offer you a price and collect next day, but it's all slowed down to a stop now.
Probably a combination of things but given the insurance hike on ordinary stuff I'd hate to think what some of the 'exotica' costs. It's one thing paying £3k a year on a new car costing, say, £100k but quite another if you get hit a similar amount on the same 20 year old bargain sporty thing.

That and service costs have taken a hike upwards too.

Then there's the roads.... :(
Potter

Post by Potter »

The insurance on my Caterham is high compared to any of my other vehicles, but overall I think it's a general economic issue, people either haven't got money, or if they have they're hanging onto it after the reckless spending of the covid period when people went berserk and spent money that in usual circumstances they wouldn't have.

People talk a lot of crap about vehicle prices, you see people talking about things holding their value, being investments and all sorts of rubbish, but when it comes to buying/selling the results tell the real story. I haven't even bothered advertising my Defender, blinded up ones aren't selling well either, I don't want to sell it or the Caterham really but one of them has to go if I want to put a Porsche 930 in that space.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I bought the 1989 Porsche 930, the last version with the Getrag G50.
No pictures for a while because even though it's a six figure motor, it's still 35yrs old and it's gone to the Porsche place to be refreshed back to like new.
I'll get it back in a few months.

It's very nice though, quirky and quick even by todays standards with a bit over 300bhp and the turbo lag is hilarious, it's like riding a two stroke, when it comes on the pipe it goes like the clappers.

It looks like the one in the opening post, but it's not that actual one.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Congratulations on the new toy
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Turbo I presume ?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:49 pm Turbo I presume ?
I'm guessing that the non-turbo version doesn't have 'hilarious turbo lag'?