Ducati Multistretta 1098S

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Supermofo

Re: Ducati Multistretta 1098S

Post by Supermofo »

Wow. Impressive but you're mental :clap:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Good thread, excellent reading.
On the fuel tank I'd have made a smaller tank with a simpler shape and then made a fibre glass replica of the upper part of the original and mounted it over the real tank, but you'd have lost a lot of fuel capacity.
Honda Owner
Skub

Post by Skub »

Man,that's some level of commitment. You're like a dog with a bone! 8-)

A great read and I'm not even fussed on Dukes.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
millemille

Post by millemille »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:35 pm Good thread, excellent reading.
On the fuel tank I'd have made a smaller tank with a simpler shape and then made a fibre glass replica of the upper part of the original and mounted it over the real tank, but you'd have lost a lot of fuel capacity.
You mean like this.....

...on my other project bike?
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

I wonder how much he'd charge to make an aluminium tank for my 1098 Streetfighter.? No other body parts required, just the tank. You can get them from the US for £2500 plus import costs.
millemille

Post by millemille »

The tank has reached the stage where we've got to tack the underside to the top so that we can get the last of the front panels in place and welded....

The we cut the tacks and remove the top.

This is what's left to complete the rear of the tank...

...and then, due to the unique shape of the tank, there's a complex set of internal breather, vent and balancing pipes that need to be formed and welded in before the top and seat pan is finally welded in....
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

it's all just CRAZY... brilliant but crazy !!! :clap:
Le_Fromage_Grande

millemille wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:39 pm
You mean like this.....
Yes
Honda Owner
millemille

Post by millemille »

Gimlet wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:43 pm I wonder how much he'd charge to make an aluminium tank for my 1098 Streetfighter.? No other body parts required, just the tank. You can get them from the US for £2500 plus import costs.
Go with that, you won't get a bespoke hand made one-off anywhere in the UK -that's of a decent quality - for less and it'll be a lot less hassle.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Gimlet wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:43 pm I wonder how much he'd charge to make an aluminium tank for my 1098 Streetfighter.? No other body parts required, just the tank. You can get them from the US for £2500 plus import costs.
Depends how complicated it is, I've been quoted £450 for a 1983 Z1100R tank made out of ally, but it's a fairly simple shape, I also know where I can Suzuki GS1000 ally tanks for similar money.
Honda Owner
millemille

Post by millemille »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:07 pm
Depends how complicated it is, I've been quoted £450 for a 1983 Z1100R tank made out of ally, but it's a fairly simple shape, I also know where I can Suzuki GS1000 ally tanks for similar money.
They can't be made in the UK at those prices.
Le_Fromage_Grande

millemille wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:16 pm
The Z1100R one was definitely made in the UK, in Essex to be precise, but the quote was more of an estimate and was about a year ago, but a Z1100R tank is pretty much a big box with a tunnel underneath.

The GS1000 tank, I don't know where it was being made, Norfolk would be my guess, but it was for sale at £450, I think it was part of a batch of tanks that were made, if that makes any difference, but again compared with a modern bike fuel tank, a simple shape.
Honda Owner
millemille

Post by millemille »

The one thing, the one fucking thing, that ETTO had to do was make the tank so that it fitted over the engine. The original tank underside was modified to fit and leave clearance to allow for the 1.5mm extra thickness of the aluminium skin to be formed over it so all he had to do was replicate it.

Guess what?

It doesn't.

It fouls the air box. When we found this we were too far into tank fabrication to modify it. So a new airbox is needed. This is how much needed to be removed from the airbox to allow the tank to fit over the top...

A pain in the arse, but not the end of the world because it potentially allows some more power to be got from the engine. Those that are in the know say that the 1098 engine is held back on power, comparatively, due to two issues associated with the OEM airbox; it's too small and doesn't let the engine breathe and the injectors - which are mounted in the OEM airbox lid - are too far away from the inlets.

Felix at 2moto has managed to get an honest 162bhp at the wheel from a standard 1098 engine and a large part of this was down to making a custom airbox and mating V2 Panigale inlet trumpets and injectors (on the Panigale the injectors sit in a frame that's part of the trumpet)....

So, for a donation to his beer fund Felix gave me the CAD models for the mating plate that allows the Panigale inlet trumpets to be fitted to the 1098 throttle bodies and I bought a complete V2 Panigale air box and throttle bodies from ebay.

I'm now using all of the body filler in the world to turn the original air box into a plug mould, making it larger where possible.

I'm debating whether to have a go at some, all or none of the mould making and moulding myself or to let someone else do it.
millemille

Post by millemille »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:27 pm
millemille wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:16 pm
The Z1100R one was definitely made in the UK, in Essex to be precise, but the quote was more of an estimate and was about a year ago, but a Z1100R tank is pretty much a big box with a tunnel underneath.

The GS1000 tank, I don't know where it was being made, Norfolk would be my guess, but it was for sale at £450, I think it was part of a batch of tanks that were made, if that makes any difference, but again compared with a modern bike fuel tank, a simple shape.
They're busy fools then.....
YoKaiser

Post by YoKaiser »

Now and again threads come up that have you hooked. This is one. Truly fantastic 👍. No help needed but the fact I love the Multi as well is the cherry on the cake.
Druid

Post by Druid »

That is amazing. And frustrating, and infuriating and immensely annoying and...

Project bikes are really good fun aren't they
Bomble

Post by Bomble »

Top top thread👍👍
millemille

Post by millemille »

Engine wise, I'm going to lighten the flywheel and have a sprauncy new STM slipper clutch waiting to go in....

I'm trying to persuade someone from pmagforum to sell me a pair of Pistal hi-comp pistons that he's had sitting around unused for several years. I've made a somewhat cheeky offer before all this virus cobblers started but have heard nothing back and he's a bit flakey when it comes to communicating with people.

The engine will go to Nelly a full service and check over and he'll chuck the clutch, and hopefully pistons, in as well.
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Gimlet wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:47 am
millemille wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:51 pm The one thing, the one fucking thing, that ETTO had to do was make the tank so that it fitted over the engine. The original tank underside was modified to fit and leave clearance to allow for the 1.5mm extra thickness of the aluminium skin to be formed over it so all he had to do was replicate it.

Guess what?

It doesn't.

It fouls the air box. When we found this we were too far into tank fabrication to modify it. So a new airbox is needed. This is how much needed to be removed from the airbox to allow the tank to fit over the top...

A pain in the arse, but not the end of the world because it potentially allows some more power to be got from the engine. Those that are in the know say that the 1098 engine is held back on power, comparatively, due to two issues associated with the OEM airbox; it's too small and doesn't let the engine breathe and the injectors - which are mounted in the OEM airbox lid - are too far away from the inlets.

Felix at 2moto has managed to get an honest 162bhp at the wheel from a standard 1098 engine and a large part of this was down to making a custom airbox and mating V2 Panigale inlet trumpets and injectors (on the Panigale the injectors sit in a frame that's part of the trumpet)....

So, for a donation to his beer fund Felix gave me the CAD models for the mating plate that allows the Panigale inlet trumpets to be fitted to the 1098 throttle bodies and I bought a complete V2 Panigale air box and throttle bodies from ebay.

I'm now using all of the body filler in the world to turn the original air box into a plug mould, making it larger where possible.

I'm debating whether to have a go at some, all or none of the mould making and moulding myself or to let someone else do it.
Interesting. My 1098 Streetfighter makes a genuine 162 bhp at the rear wheel but only after £3000 worth of engine blue-printing, balancing and tuning. The SF is about 5 bhp down on power against the Superbike because the air intakes ducts are shorter without a fairing to route them through. Mine has over-sized carbon intakes but the airbox and injectors are stock.
It was built by Rich Lewellyn at Louigi Moto and mapped by Chris Steadham. He reckoned it was being held back by induction and exhaust restrictions, particularly, he said, on torque. You account would seem to bear this out.

If I get to keep it the way things are going and ever manage to get it back on the road, it would be interesting to see what could be done with the air box and exhaust. It's a shame an open pancake airbox couldn't be fitted, like the DNA or Rottweilers common on KTMs. But I don't think it's possible with Ducatis. The only option I know of is an oversized carbon box but the price...
https://www.pureperformancecycles.com/j ... 198-r.html

Mine doesn't have the full Termi exhaust system. It has the slip-ons and the exhaust servo removed. I always wanted the full system or better still a custom made one that was wrapped, but couldn't afford it.
I reckon with these mods it would easily top 170 bhp and 100 ft/lb at the wheel and that's without touching the cams. I know Rich has got a lot more than that out of a 1098 engine.

By the way, is your 1098 engine running OE mains? Ducati changed them when they built the 1098 and the new ones turned out to be weak. They can fail at around 10K. When they brought out the 1198 Ducati reverted to the trusted earlier type they'd used in the 999.
When Rich stripped my SF engine he was expecting to have to find the weaker 1098 bearings (it was one of the main reasons for having the blue-print done: replace the weak bearings before they failed and while we were in there give the rest of the engine the works). But the SF engine is built on 1198 crankcases because they are lighter and he found the bearings were the older trusted ones.
millemille

Post by millemille »

[mention]Gimlet[/mention] Felix at 2moto built a 999/1098 hybrid race bike - a 999 chassis with a 1098 engine. Here's the dyno chart...

This is the air box he made for it....

It uses the underside of the tank as the air box lid to make the volume as large as possible. You can see the V2 Panigale shower injectors/trumpets mated to the 1098 throttle bodies.