front brake guard potentially required for ALL trackdays @ MSV

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Yorick

Re: front brake guard potentially required for ALL trackdays @ MSV

Post by Yorick »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:32 pm Surely if you are close enough to catch your brake lever on another bike on a trackday it's all gone horrifically wrong already? Sounds like a rule for rules sake.
It's compulsory for racing. It can only do good.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Yorick wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:35 pm
Supermofo wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:32 pm Surely if you are close enough to catch your brake lever on another bike on a trackday it's all gone horrifically wrong already? Sounds like a rule for rules sake.
It's compulsory for racing. It can only do good.

What I'm saying is that surely on a trackday no one should be that close to each other? And if you are, then the accident has pretty much happened anyway. I get it in Moto3 for example where there's 6 riders all fighting for the same inch of tarmac, but all the trackday briefings I've been to suggest you should never be anywhere near as close.

If you did run into someone it might help but equally it might well rip the bar out of your hand and send you down the track anyway regardless.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:51 pm
What I'm saying is that surely on a trackday no one should be that close to each other?
You'd think so, but there are some right twats on trackdays who think they're racing, I've even seen a fight break out between two fools in the pits at Snetterton, though watching two middle aged men trying to hit each other while wearing racing leathers was funny - they both got sent home btw.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:38 pm
What I'm saying is that surely on a trackday no one should be that close to each other?
You'd think so, but there are some right twats on trackdays who think they're racing, I've even seen a fight break out between two fools in the pits at Snetterton, though watching two middle aged men trying to hit each other while wearing racing leathers was funny - they both got sent home btw.
You have to pay for that sort of thing on some websites :D

I've not done a trackday in a while, but yeah there are some twats I guess.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

What I'm saying is that surely on a trackday no one should be that close to each other? And if you are, then the accident has pretty much happened anyway. I get it in Moto3 for example where there's 6 riders all fighting for the same inch of tarmac, but all the trackday briefings I've been to suggest you should never be anywhere near as close.

If you did run into someone it might help but equally it might well rip the bar out of your hand and send you down the track anyway regardless.
I was going to post something pretty similar a few days ago when weeksy popped up the thread that trackdays shouldnt have bikes running that close to each other.

Then i remembered my one and only experience following right behind a big bloke on a black SRAD 750 down the straight at Pembrey and he braked far earlier than i expected for the hairpin and i had to brake and swerve left to avoid him which i suppose i could have made contact with his seat unit with the right bar if i hadnt reacted fast enough.

Wouldnt have mattered on the bike i was riding as the Multistrada has handguards over the brake levers anyway but a sports bike might have made contact
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I was going to take my handgaurds off for porto, but may leave now in standard form. I would imagine this would be acceptable if brake gaurd required.???

Possibly just the metal bracketery. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Portimao won't care
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

weeksy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:19 pm Portimao won't care
It's a long way to go without knowing for sure.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

lostboy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:14 am
weeksy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:19 pm Portimao won't care
It's a long way to go without knowing for sure.
Granted, but this has only come into play in the past few weeks, so there's not a lot of information yet. I'm sure in the coming weeks and months we'll find out more, but i don't see the European days being affected in the same way.

Our ZX6R will get a brake guard anyhow, which will live on there full time. The XSR will get one for the track if needed, but not full time.

Whilst we can get cheapy Chinese stuff, i think we'll go with

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R-G-BRAKE-Le ... SwInxfTj15

Le_Fromage_Grande

I've made a cheeky offer on a pair from China, £6.50 for the pair, as I don't think they're necessary I'm not concerned if they're made out of monkey metal
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

No Limits now require them for all track days according to Twitter feed this morning. They mention circuit regulations which I assume is because MSV own most of the main UK tracks so make it a blanket policy for all
fil2

Post by fil2 »

who bloody cares ! just buy one fit one and move on !! its not going to impede your day or bike or riding in anyway and may actually help if ever you get that close to sum1...

None issue !.....

I want a carbon one though !!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

fil2 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:36 am who bloody cares ! just buy one fit one and move on !! its not going to impede your day or bike or riding in anyway and may actually help if ever you get that close to sum1...

None issue !.....

I want a carbon one though !!
I've never ridden with one, but i can't see any way in which it doesn't feel bloody horrible and restrictive, so yeah i care... i don't want on of these feeling like it restricts me.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Surely it's no different to riding with wrap round hand guards on an enduro bike, I never noticed any difference using them on enduro bikes apart from that my levers no longer got broken when I fell off and I could ride flat out through bushes without having to worry about the levers getting snagged.

You won't notice the guard is there unless you've got huge hands.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:48 am Surely it's no different to riding with wrap round hand guards on an enduro bike, I never noticed any difference using them on enduro bikes apart from that my levers no longer got broken when I fell off and I could ride flat out through bushes without having to worry about the levers getting snagged.

You won't notice the guard is there unless you've got huge hands.
Never got on with handguards for exactly that reason, they just feel like they're in the way. They're probably not.... but that's how they feel to me.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

If it replaces the bar end weights, it could be a pain for road use. My bike is very vibey and I've fitted lead weights.
Le_Fromage_Grande

weeksy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:50 am Never got on with handguards for exactly that reason, they just feel like they're in the way. They're probably not.... but that's how they feel to me.
I never noticed them, it possibly comes down to how you take you hand on and off the handlebar, but once your holding the bars I can't see how they'd affect riding.
fil2

Post by fil2 »

if you buy a decent one it wont be vibby and you can take it off for road..?...and why would it be restrictive.?...loads of people use them and race gods !...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

fil2 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:59 am if you buy a decent one it wont be vibby and you can take it off for road..?...and why would it be restrictive.?...loads of people use them and race gods !...
Because the end of the guard goes where your finger goes near the end of the bar.

Loads of people use many things i don't like :) Doesn't mean i like em.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

I already have them fitted .....with integrated indicators :D