Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:12 pm My toaster was made in London.
Wossat then? Dualit toasters used to be somewhere on the 'knocked 'em dead in' the Old Kent Road but they moved production to West Sussex. There's probably a lot still working that were made on the OKR...is your perhaps vintage*? :thumbup:

* not that you'd know, they don't seemed to have changed since electricity got invented. I love the clockwork timer. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yeah old school Dualit I got second hand...it has a sticker on bottom with a London address, don't recall exactly where.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:47 pm Yeah old school Dualit I got second hand...it has a sticker on bottom with a London address, don't recall exactly where.
Is it runes, or Ogham?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

slowsider wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:07 pm
That might be logical if driving was charged in a similar way... Asian Boss's 'polluter pays' argument. :)
But you can change behaviours, reduce congestion, and cut emissions by incentivising the switch.
The pilot in Germany was a national one and saved an estimated 1.8m tonnes of CO2 emissions.
The trouble is that there will always be people who need to go where public transport doesn't - IMO they should get travel at the same rate per mile as those that can use subsidised public transport.
Honda Owner
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:47 pm Yeah old school Dualit I got second hand...it has a sticker on bottom with a London address, don't recall exactly where.
Penarth Street, just off the OKR. The works is now 'a range of creative spaces' for the community and called 'The Toaster Factory'* apparently. :(

* should be making Cylons. :thumbup:
Voltaire
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

There's a place called the Toaster House in Pie Town, New Mexico. It's on the Great Divide trail and you can stay there. It's easy to find, the place is covered in knackered toasters.

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:58 pm
Penarth Street, just off the OKR.
Number 16, according to the label.

Fax 0171 639 0074 if you fancy dropping 'em a line.
Horse

Post by Horse »

slowsider

Post by slowsider »

:flame:
Vested interests on both sides:

"Johnna is a Tesla shareholder and supports its mission. "
cheb

Post by cheb »

ICE vehicles aren't immune to fake fires either:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

It's all paraphrased, I wonder what AXA actually said.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Just had a look under mine out of curiosity - it says Penarth Street SE15 and I bought it new, so I must be vintage.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

'course what I really want is a Sunbeam Radiant Control....

Not sure you can get 'em in 240V though.

https://www.theverge.com/22801890/sunbe ... -t35-vista
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ChrisW wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:39 am
Just had a look under mine out of curiosity - it says Penarth Street SE15 and I bought it new, so I must be vintage.
So does mine but it was bought over 20 years ago. :thumbup:

Topic related-ish...filled up the hybrid 'shopping trolley' today. 30 litre tank. Available range, 500 miles. :D
Voltaire
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Something that might sway me towards buying an EV is the driving experience. Modern automatic turbo cars leave me cold, they can be fast with superb handling but I still don't like them.
I've tried to find opinions on how EVs are as drivers cars but everything is about squeezing maximum range out of them and how people obsess too much about range. If I'm driving locally and not worried about range then can they be exciting, have instant throttle response, control and accelerate well from 50mph instantly without spending £100k?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Driving in to my old work, the last stretch from the roundabout befoe the work junction was great for the tonne challenge. Can you hit 100mph before needing to brake for the work turning.

Is what a bit of an ask in my 320d, you had to get a good exit off the roundabout. My mates Clio 207 could do it OK but was surprisingly short on puff above 80. Obviously a piece of piss on a bike.

I got to 110mph doing it from standing in a borrowed iPace. :D

Nearly all EVs are top speed limited on revs, not power. Therefore most of them will charge right up to their vMax IME, if you'll pardon the pun.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Indicated or measured?
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Only ever the former, fortunately.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:26 pm the tonne challenge.
161kph?

FFS kids of today mutter mutter ...
Docca

Post by Docca »

I was with my wife driving towards Alton and for those that know, it’s a long quick road.

A Maserati, KTM something or other car and a Tesla S we’re all racing so we joined in.

The lady in the Tesla should have won- more top speed than the Volvo ( I can only get 115mph) but it gets there very quickly. We can second- the Maserati was last, the KTM car came in first- but like I say, the Tesla should have won.

I’d love to try and EV that was meant for handling. Whilst my car is perfectly comfortable, it’s not razor. Still, was probably the most fun I’ve had in that car 😀

It’s also fun racing bikes off the lights