What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by gremlin »

the_priest wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 8:53 am At least the mechanic could haul it back up and I can use the car today.
Truly, it is risen. :thumbup:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Turned cold here so boooked some holiday and off to the Algarvay on Saturday. More cervesas over here Pedro old chum!
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

ZRX61 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:04 am Last week a couple of gals I know mentioned being "allergic" to mosquito bites.

Thought that was a bit odd, never heard of such a thing.

This week I get bitten by mosquitos on the arm, each bite swelled up about 1/2in across a 2in circle. WTF?

So I look up "mosquito bite allergic reaction" & discover it's actually a thing... usually bites swell up just like what happened to me. It's called "Skeeter syndrome" :lol:
Bloody Democrats - they will stop at nothing !
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Riding home the heavens opened so abruptly with hailstones I thought someone had thrown stuff at me! It fecking smarted a bit too, as I was doing c80mph. Had to drop down to 40 and was soaked by the time i got into the BP garage and somewhat pointlessly put my over trousers on!

I was shivering by the time I got home, but I had cleverly put the heating on whilst i was in the garage. 8-) My wife walked in whilst I was standing in my soaked jeans and said OMG, get your clothes off and lets get something hot into you! :wtf: :? :lol:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Had a curry. Washed it down with an 80E bottle of Ruinart.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 7:20 pm Had a curry. Washed it down with an 80E bottle of Ruinart.
I hope the curry was from somewhere decent. I've just eaten BBQ'd ribs with rice and my own ratatouille washed down with some red from the local Bodega.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'm in Fronch, this was my fourth curry in five days and my 3rd bottle of fizz.

The Fronch are getting better at curry, ten years ago you were lucky to find one and when you did it was shit.

I'm in Amiens and had a choice of half a dozen within a kilometer.

It wasn't the best curry I've ever had, but was nice enough.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 7:03 pm My wife walked in whilst I was standing in my soaked jeans and said OMG, get your clothes off and lets get something hot into you! :wtf: :? :lol:
I hate it when the wimminz steal our best lines. :(
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Went for a 20th wedding anniversary meal with Mrs Mango. Fillet steak stuffed with Dolcelatte, perfectly cooked and generously sized. And a bottle of 12 y.o. red from a boutique winemaker near our French gaff. I may not need to eat much tomorrow...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:29 pm Went for a 20th wedding anniversary meal with Mrs Mango. Fillet steak stuffed with Dolcelatte, perfectly cooked and generously sized. And a bottle of 12 y.o. red from a boutique winemaker near our French gaff. I may not need to eat much tomorrow...
It was my 31st on the 11th Sept!
We went Mexican and beer - you are way more classy!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 6:47 am
mangocrazy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:29 pm Went for a 20th wedding anniversary meal with Mrs Mango. Fillet steak stuffed with Dolcelatte, perfectly cooked and generously sized. And a bottle of 12 y.o. red from a boutique winemaker near our French gaff. I may not need to eat much tomorrow...
It was my 31st on the 11th Sept!
We went Mexican and beer - you are way more classy!
It's a little family run restaurant in Sheffield that is very happy for you to bring your own wine and don't levy a corkage charge. For that reason alone they get my vote... :)

So you also never forget your anniversary date, due to the unfortunate events in NYC 23 years ago...?
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Didn’t follow our Instructions at work when a portion of the railway turned itself off at 0140, this morning. Our instructions state we can close the tripped circuit breakers as soon as they’ve tripped (in a certain sequence mind). However given the time and no trains running I made enquiries with the signaller and discovered there was a team working on the track in the tripping location, Signaller instructed to contact them urgently to see if they were OK and I’d leave the power off. Turns out one of them had stumbled and dropped his tools onto the running rail and live rail causing the tripping. Fortunately no injuries. They were a bit blasé about it with the signaller so various people visited them and they were sent back to depot with a flea in their ears and another team had to make safe the damaged running rail.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

When dropping a spanner across the terminals of a car battery no longer does it for ya...
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Off to the fang mechanic again. Then I'll be doing more FG repair/reinforcement & paint prep on the F350 running boards etc.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:02 pm Didn’t follow our Instructions at work when a portion of the railway turned itself off at 0140, this morning. Our instructions state we can close the tripped circuit breakers as soon as they’ve tripped (in a certain sequence mind). However given the time and no trains running I made enquiries with the signaller and discovered there was a team working on the track in the tripping location, Signaller instructed to contact them urgently to see if they were OK and I’d leave the power off. Turns out one of them had stumbled and dropped his tools onto the running rail and live rail causing the tripping. Fortunately no injuries. They were a bit blasé about it with the signaller so various people visited them and they were sent back to depot with a flea in their ears and another team had to make safe the damaged running rail.
Tell the crew to head north of rhe river and try on our 25kV OHL - won't be so blasé then....
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

v8-powered wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:58 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:02 pm Didn’t follow our Instructions at work when a portion of the railway turned itself off at 0140, this morning. Our instructions state we can close the tripped circuit breakers as soon as they’ve tripped (in a certain sequence mind). However given the time and no trains running I made enquiries with the signaller and discovered there was a team working on the track in the tripping location, Signaller instructed to contact them urgently to see if they were OK and I’d leave the power off. Turns out one of them had stumbled and dropped his tools onto the running rail and live rail causing the tripping. Fortunately no injuries. They were a bit blasé about it with the signaller so various people visited them and they were sent back to depot with a flea in their ears and another team had to make safe the damaged running rail.
Tell the crew to head north of rhe river and try on our 25kV OHL - won't be so blasé then....
Gonna have to work on the arms a bit to chuck their toolboxes that high though.
MingtheMerciless

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:01 pm
v8-powered wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:58 pm
Gonna have to work on the arms a bit to chuck their toolboxes that high though.
No they do stupid things like have the generator their using put on an over bridge and it’s chained to the railing to stop it being nicked and then the excess chain is dangled over the bridge where it sways close to the OHLE and energises the handrail on the bridge at lots of V……….
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
MingtheMerciless

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:25 pm When dropping a spanner across the terminals of a car battery no longer does it for ya...
Over current setting is 5.5kA on the D.C. Circuit Breakers that fed each end of that electrical section (so approx 11kA fault current) and track voltage that time of night will probably be around 800V D.C.
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Taipan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 7:02 pm Funny trip really. Didn’t think much of Nerja despite being told we’d love it.
Was suggested by my missus the other day in our recent "choose a warm destination pretty much anywhere" holiday search. So we swerved it and thank you! ;)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:34 am
Taipan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 7:02 pm Funny trip really. Didn’t think much of Nerja despite being told we’d love it.
Was suggested by my missus the other day in our recent "choose a warm destination pretty much anywhere" holiday search. So we swerved it and thank you! ;)
I have to say, everyone else seems to love it. I think as we were over the other/wrong side of town, we may have got the wrong impression of it? The one thing everyone keeps banging on isthe old town, buy I'd say places like Alghero or Albufeira has much better ones.