What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Sadlonelygit

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Sadlonelygit »

I'd like to say a first for me......but no!
Had a rifle pointed at me this morning. Out on the treader with the dog, coming down a steep-ish track, dog panting away. Came around a corner to be met with a few chasseurs who obviously heard the dog and thought 'zut alors'.
Luckily they weren't trigger happy/pissed, just a couple of 'desolé' and we're good.
BTW, Bala 1986, farmer's field was the first time I had a gun pointed at me. Missed the campsite by 100yds ( it was late and raining when we got there)
David

Post by David »

Today, yesterday and friday ( with prep on thursday) I worked on Weston beach race....took 4k today, even with all the card readers throwing the towel in at 11a.m...
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Yorick wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 1:29 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 4:19 pm
Yorick wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 1:09 pm
Managed 800m in 25 minutes today 😀

another 200m after short rest.

Fantastic for getting arms fit for track :)
800m again, then another 400m after 2 mins break. Super chuffed as better than 20 years ago.
Even after 4 mile dog walk earlier, felt super good so kept going to 1300m with no rest.
I'll be up to a mile by next week.
Today the target was 1400m but my 800m time was a minute faster than my previous best, so at 1100m I decided to go for the mile.
Yup, 1600m fairly easy, then extra 10m to make up the full mile.

My split times were good as didn't fade too much in 2nd half.

1st. 800m 22m 10 seconds
2nd 800m 23m 35 seconds.

45m 45s for a mile is quite good for a mile :obscene-birdiedoublered:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Wondered, as I got on the bike in the pouring rain this morning, when was the last time I washed and re-proofed by trusty HG Gore-tex kit. :think:

Not recently enough, was the answer I came to, having developed a damp left buttock by the time I got to work. :shock:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Been cleaning the house today.
Swmbo has been away for a fortnight, so must expunge the manliness from the house before her return tomorrow!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Had to go to my private clinic and Mrs Y had the car.
It's a boring ride on GSXR so decided to go cross country on GasGas.

Normally 25 mins by road, so tried to get close on dirt.
Lots of open fast stuff to hang the back end out like Kenny Roberts :obscene-birdiedoublered:

But couldn't avoid some tricky parts which dropped speed to 40 mins.
Was bloody good fun though

The ride home was more conventional, up and down a few volcanoes, taking 2 hours

Now enjoying a couple of cold ones in town.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Listened to Mrs. G downstairs as she attempted to transfer from her old All-In-One Pc to the new one. Every five minutes I heard a muttered 'Oh, for fuck's sake'. Then a minute later, 'Fucking thing'.
Just got, 'I fucking hate computers'

It takes a tech problem to get her potty mouthed. :lol:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I heard a wonderful Swedish expression the other day: a curling parent.

Imagine, if you will, the sport of curling. The stone represents your child. The ice represents life. You are the person who sweeps the ice in front of the stone, to ease its passage and make the going as smooth as possible, expending your own energy and working up a sweat.

Lovely analogy, isn't it?

And as I just handed over my credit card, having paid for the service on my child's car, which I have offered to drive up to fecking Manchester tomorrow evening, with the promise of a delightful train journey back home on Saturday, in order that she may continue her student life with said vehicle, I had a chuckle to myself, wondering who, just who, could this wonderful expression apply to...

:wtf:
Last edited by gremlin on Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

gremlin wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 2:35 pm I heard a wonderful Swedish expression the other day: a curling parent.

Imagine, if you will, the sport of curling. The stone represents your child. The ice represents life. You are the person who sweeps the ice in front of the stone, to ease its passage and make the going as smooth as possible, expending your own energy and working up a sweat.
Oh, so not throwing them as far away as possible and using them to smash away any which get in your way. :lol:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 2:48 pm
gremlin wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 2:35 pm I heard a wonderful Swedish expression the other day: a curling parent.

Oh, so not throwing them as far away as possible and using them to smash away any which get in your way. :lol:
That's a "bowling" parent.

Or, in French, "une parent petanque"

;)
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Lovely analogy, isn't it?
Or, slightly different interpretation. A controlling parent who busts their balls trying to make the child take the direction they prescribe in order that said child ends up exactly where they want them. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Today I have been to Screwfix to collect my Makita cordless tyre pump. :thumbup:

(Treated myself to a Nebo 'Big Larry' rechargeable, limited edition, stealth :wtf: worklight/torch while I was there. It joins the two Nebo 'Little Larrys' in my collection of portable illumination.

Fiat lux! 💡 )

Oh...I did a Pilates session today too. (Not at Screwfix).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Another permanent exclusion today, 2nd this week.

I hate them, basically for most it means they will achieve sod-all in life, but not much you can do.

Today's was for violence and threatening behaviour towards staff, yesterday was bringing cannabis to school, not just a spliff but "enough to share".
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:03 pm Another permanent exclusion today, 2nd this week.

I hate them, basically for most it means they will achieve sod-all in life, but not much you can do.

Today's was for violence and threatening behaviour towards staff, yesterday was bringing cannabis to school, not just a spliff but "enough to share".
Fucking teachers, you'd think they'd know better than to share it about In the staffroom

They should be setting a better example
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:03 pm not just a spliff but "enough to share".
Sharing is caring. :thumbup:

Newey

Post by Newey »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 11:15 am I'd like to say a first for me......but no!
Had a rifle pointed at me this morning. Out on the treader with the dog, coming down a steep-ish track, dog panting away. Came around a corner to be met with a few chasseurs who obviously heard the dog and thought 'zut alors'.
Luckily they weren't trigger happy/pissed, just a couple of 'desolé' and we're good.
BTW, Bala 1986, farmer's field was the first time I had a gun pointed at me. Missed the campsite by 100yds ( it was late and raining when we got there)
I had the tip of a rifle 2 inches from head while driving into a naval base, it followed me from where I was sitting to the glovebox to grab my ID card, it was a British army soldier on guard duty at a land based HMS building, I thought it weird that it was the army doing gate duty to a naval building, this happened during the time the Irish were were causing shit in Britain, I went back the next day and a female solder was on guard, I asked her where her rifle was as she had a hand gun, she said the rifle was to heavy so she used the hand gun.
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Bought a brand new rear tyre for the mo'bike.
Saw it advertised on marketplace and thought hmmmm.
Discovered that the new CT doesn't allow non std tyres to be fitted, so a 180/60 can't be presented for test......good news for me!
So a Dunlop sport smart 3 for €75😀
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:09 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:03 pm Another permanent exclusion today, 2nd this week.

Fucking teachers, you'd think they'd know better than to share it about In the staffroom

They should be setting a better example
Not like you to be funny :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Did 'eco-driving' today!! Cos of the time of day we set out for the second run, we didn't get to repeat the route, so the instructor couldn't show us how much more economical it is doing it his way!! But hey, we believe him! LOL :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Another course at QA Tower Bridge - i am now a master at Power BI :thumbup: