What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:06 pm
Our pond has developed a couple of leaks.

So far the "extra special, safe for fish, works underwater, wonder-mastic" has utterly failed to stick to the liner for both patches, so the water level is back where it was a week ago. :roll: Obviously attempting to pull the patches off is more likely to cause even more damage to the liner than originally there, (because some of the mastic DID stick well) so currently pondering if a super-large over-size single patch might be the way to go - after draining off a shit load more water so the glue can actually adhere to the liner. (the 2 leaks are in close proximity)
Interesting. A neighbour has a large but shallow pond (it's full of marginals and it makes a nice feature) and I spotted a couple of patches, each about 1ft square, on the liner near the edge. Probably wildlife related. She was very impressed with the patch material. I can't remember what it was* but got the impression you could apply it to wet surfaces. I can ask if you like.

One of the good things they did when they revamped our pond was put the liner in then a sort of protective felt over that. Protects from sharp claws etc but also from UV in the shallow bits.

* 'Gorilla' springs to mind but the only stuff of theirs I can find is the usual 'apply to clean, dry surfaces' :(
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:59 pm It's a series of rock pools and waterfalls fed by a biggish submersible pump in the pond. I could just switch the pump off but it aerates the water + the sound is nice, particularly when lying in bed. :D

Probably the best way to aerate the water is to have plenty of plant growth. It won't provide the pleasing sound but will provide plenty of cover for residents.

*Caveat*
I've never had a pond. I kept tropical fish for more than half my life though. Good plant growth in an aquarium (admittedly a far smaller ecosystem) is both an excellent oxygenator and filter. I also used to add carbon dioxide to my water to make it more acidic and to feed the plants. Oxygen bubbles escaping from leaves indicated an oxygen saturated tank.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yambo wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:36 pm
Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:59 pm It's a series of rock pools and waterfalls fed by a biggish submersible pump in the pond. I could just switch the pump off but it aerates the water + the sound is nice, particularly when lying in bed. :D

Probably the best way to aerate the water is to have plenty of plant growth. It won't provide the pleasing sound but will provide plenty of cover for residents.

*Caveat*
I've never had a pond. I kept tropical fish for more than half my life though. Good plant growth in an aquarium (admittedly a far smaller ecosystem) is both an excellent oxygenator and filter. I also used to add carbon dioxide to my water to make it more acidic and to feed the plants. Oxygen bubbles escaping from leaves indicated an oxygen saturated tank.
I'm trying to get lots of oxygenators established but I was too slow dealing with the dreaded, threadlike, green stuff which did the level best to smother everything. Should not have relaxed when winter 'killed' it all off and treated the water in March. I did do it eventually but now have lots of dead dreaded, threadlike stuff making the pond look a mess. The newts don't seem to mind it and some of the oxygenators are getting a bit too big. So, the plan is, once the wildlife has done its thing...probably October...hoick out the plants that have suffered, put in some I have in the 'nursery' (big tubs full of rainwater) and swap the poorly ones into the nursery/take cuttings. Basically do a spring clean in Autumn.

Then I'll treat the water in March and do more planting in early Spring.

I think part of the problem is, because of the water loss, I was forced to top up with treated tap water last summer. I guess the treatment takes out some stuff but not all. I've beefed up my rainwater harvesting this year too.
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

The friend I'm staying with drove me to meet with SLG and another mate of mine. We'd planned to ride down but it was hoofing it down with rain and since I have 8 hours riding tomorrow, we decided that going in the car was probably more sensible! (Had a grumpy arm yesterday!). Annoying cos it turned into a lovely day - NOT what the forecast had suggested :roll:

Had an awesome couple of coffees and so we had lunch too :D :D Made way more noise (laughter!) than all the French customers in total :lol: :lol: :lol:

Planning longer trip here next year to do more riding and exploring!! :D :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:13 pm

*Caveat*
I'm trying to get lots of oxygenators established but I was too slow dealing with the dreaded, threadlike, green stuff which did the level best to smother everything. Should not have relaxed when winter 'killed' it all off and treated the water in March. I did do it eventually but now have lots of dead dreaded, threadlike stuff making the pond look a mess. The newts don't seem to mind it and some of the oxygenators are getting a bit too big. So, the plan is, once the wildlife has done its thing...probably October...hoick out the plants that have suffered, put in some I have in the 'nursery' (big tubs full of rainwater) and swap the poorly ones into the nursery/take cuttings. Basically do a spring clean in Autumn.

I think part of the problem is, because of the water loss, I was forced to top up with treated tap water last summer. I guess the treatment takes out some stuff but not all. I've beefed up my rainwater harvesting this year too.
Algae can be an absolute pain. I tried additives but with little success. However I got rid of the issue with a UV light filter.

I have no idea if they are available for ponds. Usual answer though, throw money at the problem. :D
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:17 pm
Rockburner wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:06 pm
Our pond has developed a couple of leaks.

So far the "extra special, safe for fish, works underwater, wonder-mastic" has utterly failed to stick to the liner for both patches, so the water level is back where it was a week ago. :roll: Obviously attempting to pull the patches off is more likely to cause even more damage to the liner than originally there, (because some of the mastic DID stick well) so currently pondering if a super-large over-size single patch might be the way to go - after draining off a shit load more water so the glue can actually adhere to the liner. (the 2 leaks are in close proximity)
Interesting. A neighbour has a large but shallow pond (it's full of marginals and it makes a nice feature) and I spotted a couple of patches, each about 1ft square, on the liner near the edge. Probably wildlife related. She was very impressed with the patch material. I can't remember what it was* but got the impression you could apply it to wet surfaces. I can ask if you like.

One of the good things they did when they revamped our pond was put the liner in then a sort of protective felt over that. Protects from sharp claws etc but also from UV in the shallow bits.

* 'Gorilla' springs to mind but the only stuff of theirs I can find is the usual 'apply to clean, dry surfaces' :(
Yes - Gorilla do a "pond" patching tape. which we initially bought.... but then, in very very small print, at the bottom of the usage instructions it says:

"May not be safe for fish"

Which is the worst bit of arse-covering I've ever seen, and obviously meant we couldn't use it.
non quod, sed quomodo
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Yambo wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:33 pm

*Caveat*

Algae can be an absolute pain. I tried additives but with little success. However I got rid of the issue with a UV light filter.

I have no idea if they are available for ponds. Usual answer though, throw money at the problem. :D
We have a UV light equipped pump running 24/7. Only problem is that the pond has go so sludgy (lilies.... :roll: ) that it needs cleaning out once a week, which I'm far too lazy to do. (it gets hoicked out and rinsed out when the fountain completely stops running).
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yambo wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:33 pm

Yup, they are available. :D Trying to avoid filters etc though, the plan is for it to be a low maintenance, wildlife pond. So far, since having it enlarged and (at wife's insistence) the pump/cascade built, it's been anything but low maintenance! (It didn't help at the beginning that the pond guys dumped the old water and then filled it with all tap water....so, of course, it went bright green.

If I have solved this water loss though I think next year it should have settled down and be in some sort of equilibrium. The new water lily is about to flower too. :thumbup:
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

@Count Steer

Muck to clear?

Sir needs a new hobby :)

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/ac ... r2834.html
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:59 am
Sunny wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:49 pm Also, booked a weekend in Gibraltar in December. Never been, recommendations welcome 👍😎
I got married in the Botanical Gardens.

Are you staying in The Rock Hotel, it's where all the celebs (and me) stay?
Nope, I'm spending Marriott points, and there isn't one on the rock itself, so we're going to stay just over the border!
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Sunny wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:27 pm
Sunny wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:49 pm Also, booked a weekend in Gibraltar in December. Never been, recommendations welcome 👍😎

Nope, I'm spending Marriott points, and there isn't one on the rock itself, so we're going to stay just over the border!
IIRC the queue to get back into Spain at the end of the day gets very, very long. It is somewhat odd to be parked up in a queue half-way across a (potentially active) runway!
non quod, sed quomodo
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Sunny wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:27 pm

Oh, that's not quite the same. Many people who work in Gib live in Spain so it's usually fine getting across but it depends on the whims of the Spanish.
If Spanish customs are being awkward then I'm told going through on foot is much quicker.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I've had a health and safety lesson today. The wood on the pretty wooden steps I bought on eBay split and collapsed under me while I was leaning into a fish tank, that was a near disaster.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mussels wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:28 pm I've had a health and safety lesson today. The wood on the pretty wooden steps I bought on eBay split and collapsed under me while I was leaning into a fish tank, that was a near disaster.
Lay off the pies and chips ?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Yorick wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:31 pm
Mussels wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:28 pm I've had a health and safety lesson today. The wood on the pretty wooden steps I bought on eBay split and collapsed under me while I was leaning into a fish tank, that was a near disaster.
Lay off the pies and chips ?
:) I did consider that but I'm a long way off the 300lb limit in the advert.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Had an excellent bonfire, it was like a blast furnace :)

Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:53 pm IIRC the queue to get back into Spain at the end of the day gets very, very long. It is somewhat odd to be parked up in a queue half-way across a (potentially active) runway!
Mussels wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:24 pm
Sunny wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:27 pm I'm spending Marriott points, and there isn't one on the rock itself, so we're going to stay just over the border!
Oh, that's not quite the same. Many people who work in Gib live in Spain so it's usually fine getting across but it depends on the whims of the Spanish.
If Spanish customs are being awkward then I'm told going through on foot is much quicker.
It's a half-hour walk to the border, and while we usually hire a car everywhere we go, I'm not sure it's worth it there, especially as we're literally going Friday pm to Sunday pm...
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

A car in Gib will be more of a hinderance than a help, I was thinking of taxis.
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Mussels wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:59 pm A car in Gib will be more of a hinderance than a help, I was thinking of taxis.
Ah cool! We'll be fine then 👍
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Back from the pump mechanic. Sending me for more tests next month that involves me drinking some godawful mix the might before & then have go through a series of tests that last about 5 hours... but I get a break in the middle during which I am instructed to "go eat a burger & fries & have a large coke" apparently that's part of the test. (WooT! Carl's Jr for an El Diablo!)
Was also told to "stay away from children & pregnant women for few days" after I drink the goop.
Me: Great, will I glow in the dark?
Nurse: Lil' bit..