What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Horse

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Horse »

cheb wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:28 pm Morbid I know, but where do they bury dead people on the island. Our cemeteries are on the west side as it's sandy and not peat.
I've heard of Pete & Dud, but not your two.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

cheb wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:28 pm Morbid I know, but where do they bury dead people on the island. Our cemeteries are on the west side as it's sandy and not peat.
Nobody dies on Lanz. They just get old and grumpy and post shite on forums for all eternity. :lol:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
cheb

Post by cheb »

Preserved in alcohol.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

gremlin wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:58 pm
Nobody dies on Lanz. They just get old and grumpy and post shite on forums for all eternity. :lol:
I thought it was like the Twilight Zone and we found out they were already dead before they got there
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I went to meet a friend on his route back to resort from Nice. He did most of the route des alpes today.

I met him in Valloires, we rode back over the Col du Telegraphe back down too the valley the other side, then back up (for me!) and over the Col de la Madeleine. Stopped and had coffee at the top then back down to the valley I know and up to resort.

He's got an Africa Twin and Bloody hell they are big!! :lol: He's got to go to Geneva tomorrow to to fly back to Nice to pick up their car, so I got to ride the Africa Twin when we got back cos it looks like I'm going pillion to GVA to bring the bike back!! It was an interesting ride - not ideal arm position for the spazziness, but I figure that if I can ride it after almost six hours of riding up and down twisty mountain roads, then I can do the ride back from GVA to La Plagne!! LOL

It'll make the CBF feel very small afterwards! :lol: :lol:

This is the route I took today - there and back :D

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Spent miserable hours in lashing rain driving middle son to Dublin airport,then miserable hours driving home again. I hate driving at the best of times and today wasn't one of those.

I fucking hate goodbyes too.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Horse wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:53 pm
I've heard of Pete & Dud, but not your two.
Julian and his friend Sandy, but Pete? Don’t think so.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Today I mostly learned about 'Memorial Record Tubes' after playing about with a coffin and wondering what the hell they'd need a test tube / vial for.

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-there-a-vi ... e%20casket.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Returned home to Turkey and to bad news. A friend is in ICU on dialysis following kidney failure. Him and his wife were due to fly back to Scotland today. Fully covered by insurance but it's not looking too good.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

The US version of Just Eat is Door Dash.... Idly wondered if I could Door Dash someone a knuckle sandwich.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Woke up silly early (lorry noise outside, delivery to Spar is around 4am :( ) but also thinking that I really didn't want to go to GVA on the back on my mate's bike. So I text and suggested that, as I weigh a bit more than him, maybe he should go pillion on the bike I'm using then there's not shuffling of bikes to do and I just ride both ways (I already said I wouldn't pillion down the mountain, so we were meeting in the valley!).

He text back to say he's ok to ride in and leave the bike to pick up tomorrow but could he still borrow the vignette for Suisse!!

Soooo - sort of lie in, will warm up the vignette to get it off the backing I've stored it on before he gets here, then can have a chilled morning :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Tried to buy some Metacam (doggie painkiller, think ibuprofen for mutts) online, as my dog is limping, having no doubt done some soft tissue damage running about like the twat-arsed Border Collie she is. No can do, needs a vet prescription.

I know if I ring the vet, it will be a case of, 'You need to bring her in NOW! She's in mortal danger! It's imperative you come...and don't forget your method of payment. We accept all major credit cards...'. And I have no doubt, they will tell me, after a brief, but expensive, consultation, that she's hurt her leg due to her being a nine year-old, twat-arsed Border Collie, and thus being prone to running about like a loon. And I will concur. And then they'll prescribe some Metacam, at a vastly inflated price.

How is it, I can buy human prescription-only medication online, having only answered a few run-of-the-mill questions, but I can't do that for my hound? It's almost as if they're more concerned with making money than providing a service... :hmmm:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:31 am Tried to buy some Metacam (doggie painkiller, think ibuprofen for mutts) online, as my dog is limping, having no doubt done some soft tissue damage running about like the twat-arsed Border Collie she is. No can do, needs a vet prescription.

I know if I ring the vet, it will be a case of, 'You need to bring her in NOW! She's in mortal danger! It's imperative you come...and don't forget your method of payment. We accept all major credit cards...'. And I have no doubt, they will tell me, after a brief, but expensive, consultation, that she's hurt her leg due to her being a nine year-old, twat-arsed Border Collie, and thus being prone to running about like a loon. And I will concur. And then they'll prescribe some Metacam, at a vastly inflated price.

How is it, I can buy human prescription-only medication online, having only answered a few run-of-the-mill questions, but I can't do that for my hound? It's almost as if they're more concerned with making money than providing a service... :hmmm:
Get money spent ya tight git :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Our mutt is costing us 300€ a month and worth every cent
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:17 am
gremlin wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:31 am Tried to buy some Metacam (doggie painkiller, think ibuprofen for mutts) online, as my dog is limping, having no doubt done some soft tissue damage running about like the twat-arsed Border Collie she is. No can do, needs a vet prescription.

I've had this discussion with other dog owners who rush their dog to vet every time the dog walks a but funny or sneezes more than once. Sometimes, I go to the gym and pull a muscle or sprain something. I don't expect to be blue-lighted to hospital or taken to a see a doctor. I give it a few days, if no improvement, then seek medical advice/intervention. Coz I'm well 'ard. Fucking dog just needs to man-up. ;)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:29 am
Yorick wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:17 am

I've had this discussion with other dog owners who rush their dog to vet every time the dog walks a but funny or sneezes more than once. Sometimes, I go to the gym and pull a muscle or sprain something. I don't expect to be blue-lighted to hospital or taken to a see a doctor. I give it a few days, if no improvement, then seek medical advice/intervention. Coz I'm well 'ard. Fucking dog just needs to man-up. ;)
Our mutt gets an injection roughly every 6 months to keep arthritis away.
He's 13 but runs around like a puppy.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Had an office-wide debate on why your webcam mirrors the image you see, as opposed to what somebody else sees. Most people didn't believe that it did.

Ever watched the opening scenes from 2001: A Space Odyssey with the prehistoric hominids seeing the monolith? ;)
Horse

Post by Horse »

gremlin wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:53 pm
Ever watched the opening scenes from 2001: A Space Odyssey with the prehistoric hominids seeing the monolith? ;)
Watch this:

Then listen to how difficult it was to film (pre-digital)

Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Clever, but I was referring to the scene when the stupid, uncultured, unevolved ape-like creatures are totally dumbfounded and cannot comprehend what they've just seen.

Honestly we set up a call between two adjacent desks and about 15 people running between the two cameras, pointing arms one way then the next.

Anyhow, I found out why it does it. :D
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Finally managed to get through to the vet about 6pm last night. Explained that the dog had had Metacam previously with no issues, was eating fine, not bothering the limb in question, no other signs to give me concern and no reaction to manipulating the limb. Could you give me a prescription for Metacam just to relieve the discomfort?

No sir, you need to bring her in for a consultation.

OK, how about this? I bring her in and if it's soft-tissue damage and you prescribe some Metacam, do I get a refund on the unnecessary consultation?

No, sir. I'm afraid we can't do that.

I think this sums up the industry. Rather than give something to relieve the discomfort of the animal, they're more concerned with the bottom line P&L. I really do think the whole industry needs a bit of a review in terms of consumer protection.
The CMA seems to concur: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68534697
cheb

Post by cheb »

gremlin wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:44 am

Finally managed to get through to the vet about 6pm last night. Explained that the dog had had Metacam previously with no issues, was eating fine, not bothering the limb in question, no other signs to give me concern and no reaction to manipulating the limb. Could you give me a prescription for Metacam just to relieve the discomfort?

No sir, you need to bring her in for a consultation.

OK, how about this? I bring her in and if it's soft-tissue damage and you prescribe some Metacam, do I get a refund on the unnecessary consultation?

No, sir. I'm afraid we can't do that.

I think this sums up the industry. Rather than give something to relieve the discomfort of the animal, they're more concerned with the bottom line P&L. I really do think the whole industry needs a bit of a review in terms of consumer protection.
The CMA seems to concur: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68534697
What we need is a NHS type system for pets.