Have Derbyshire police lost the plot?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
SSR Suspension

Re: Have Derbyshire police lost the plot?

Post by SSR Suspension »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-d ... e-55547302

Allegedly intimidated, love the news. They did not look or sound intimidated on the news last night.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

GuzziPaul wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:50 pm
demographic wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:54 am Last big lockdown someone had access to the numbers of vehicles on the roads statistics (might have been Gedge?) And as I've been working this week I think that theres far more traffic on the road this time round.
Is that showing in the statistics or am I just wrong?

To my eyes the car numbers on the M6 between Penrith and Carlisle just hasn't significantly lessened after Wednesday.
It was me. Pre lockdown 2 October/November ish flows were up to about 70% of the previous year After the Xmas holidays, in the area I know, flows are about 50% of last January on Monday and have not risen through the week.
Ta, so given that it's possible that I'm either just wrong (can't say I've been counting cars) or that the times I'm driving about is when the trucks and construction workers vehicles are on the move so its not much different.

I'm driving from six til seven thirty AM then about four to about half five in the afternoon.

I'm taking a couple of weeks off starting this Monday cos I have stuff to do on my own house and I might as well help lockdown even though as a construction worker I'm not required to stay at home.
Seems as good a time as any to take time off work to do stuff on my own house.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

irie wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:46 pm
It is relevant precisely because the huge numbers of people over 60 with pre-existing conditions the virus can attack guarantee that the NHS will be overwhelmed.
I think the virus attacks anyone and everyone - it has no idea of the age of the person whose throat it ends up in. Older people and those with 'underlying conditions' are less able to fight the virus and so succumb. I think there was also evidence that with some people, their own immune system 'over-reacted' for want of a better term and again, they succumbed.

I am technically a 'vulnerable person'. I'm 70, had a heart attack and a by-pass operation and there was evidence last year that the virus can have serious effects on the vascular system. With that in mind I'm taking care and following the hygiene rules (I'm also breaking some of the other restrictions regularly because I don't want these shitty little viruses* to control my life). I don't want to get C19 because I don't know how it's going to affect me. I may be strong and healthy enough for my body to see it off but who knows? I really don't want to be the guinea pig.

A friend of mine got infected while in the UK and got sick back here. He's a few months older than me and not as fit - he's certainly overweight but generally healthy. He was ill for a week and not eating. At the end of the first week he was taken into hospital, stuck on a drip and given oxygen and a week later was fit and well. He'd also lost a fair bit of weight which has prompted him to do more exercise and lose more. Was he lucky? I don't know and I don't want to find out if I'm unlucky.
irie

Post by irie »

Yambo wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:49 am
irie wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:46 pm
It is relevant precisely because the huge numbers of people over 60 with pre-existing conditions the virus can attack guarantee that the NHS will be overwhelmed.
I think the virus attacks anyone and everyone -
Of course it does, I didn't word my post carefully enough. My bad.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

demographic wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:10 am
Ta, so given that it's possible that I'm either just wrong (can't say I've been counting cars) or that the times I'm driving about is when the trucks and construction workers vehicles are on the move so its not much different.

I'm driving from six til seven thirty AM then about four to about half five in the afternoon.
There are detection loops leading up to a lot of traffic lights which are "counting" the flows 24/7 which is where I'm getting my info from. I don't have access to motorway flows. But what was noticed in the first lockdown was a lack of a morning peak it was as busy at 0800 as it was at 1000. There was no evening peak either as flows dropped off at 1800 as there was nowhere to go on a night.

This does vary a lot by route though. In the city where I'm doing most of my work there is a big hospital. Flows fom the motorway to the hospital area haven't changed whilst a parellel route has done the 30, 50 , 70% change.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

ISTR remember reading on one of the news sites that public transport is typically running at <20% of what it was before the pandemic.

I do wonder how much we have all forgotten how busy things were (or not) before March 2020. People are notoriously bad at accurately remembering details.

Edit: Or we're just really bad at judging numbers. I.e. I bet you'd have to take a lot more than half the cars off the road before someone would think you'd halved the traffic.
cheb

Post by cheb »

The first lockdown was noticeably quieter up here too. I'm not joking either.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:38 am ISTR remember ...
What does the R stand for in ISTR? I can't quite remember. ;)
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:38 am... I.e. I bet you'd have to take a lot more than half the cars off the road before someone would think you'd halved the traffic.
I doubt it. When I was commuting I noticed a significant improvement in traffic flow during school holidays. How much traffic would that take off the roads? My commutes were well before and after the morning and afternoon school runs. My theory was that 10% to 20% of my fellow commuters took their holidays during the school holidays and that was enough to improve traffic flow noticeably.
Last edited by Saga Lout on Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

To me this just highlights the impossible situation government and police are in...

If the government specify a distance, say 5miles, there is uproar that Nan lives 5.1 miles away, or that the park is 6miles away and how unfair and draconian its is, ffs people were calling Boris a NAZI last lockdown. People in towns and cities cry how unfair it is they cannot walk the beach, yet people who live at the coast can etc

If the distanced isn’t specified we get well, I’ve driven 40 miles and that’s ok because no distance is specified.

If the police fine people they are NAZI WANKERS, if they don’t they aren’t doing their jobs...

Meh ~ the human race is fucked, all common sense has gone, and people expect the governments to tell them exactly what to do, but as soon as they do, they are the next Hitler.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Saga Lout wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:07 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:38 am ISTR remember ...
What does the R stand for in ISTR? I can't quite remember. ;)
You'll be forgetting your PIN number next and then you won't be able to get any cash from the ATM machine.
irie

Post by irie »

JamJar wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:43 pm I think one problem is that no one really knows what pre existing condition means and think it means really sick people when in fact it can and often does mean people who would have been fine i.e. diabetics or obese people.
These "Main pre-existing conditions" are from the ONS (2020) and are ranked with the highest risk first.

Dementia and Alzheimer's disease
Ischaemic heart diseases
Influenza and pneumonia
Chronic lower respiratory diseases
Cerebrovascular diseases
Diabetes
Diseases of the urinary system
Hypertensive diseases *
Heart failure and complications and ill-defined heart disease
Malignant neoplasms of lymphoid haematopoietic and related tissue
Malignant neoplasm of trachea bronchus and lung
Parkinson's disease
Malignant neoplasm of prostate
Cardiac arrhythmias
Cirrhosis and other diseases of liver
Fracture of femur
Pulmonary oedema and other intestinal pulmonary diseases
Malignant neoplasms of breast
(more)

hth

Edit *
Hypertensive heart disease refers to heart problems that occur because of high blood pressure that is present over a long time. Hypertension is a disorder characterized by consistently high blood pressure.
More here.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... gh-blood-p
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Fracture of femur? So a broken leg is a pre existing condition!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

JamJar wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:40 am Fracture of femur? So a broken leg is a pre existing condition!
"He was like that when I got here"
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

While making light of “it only affects people with preexisting conditions”

32% of men, 26% of women have hypertension, and an estimated 4-5million people in the UK have undiagnosed hypertension.

That’s just one condition.
moth

Post by moth »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:10 am To me this just highlights the impossible situation government and police are in...

If the government specify a distance, say 5miles, there is uproar that Nan lives 5.1 miles away, or that the park is 6miles away and how unfair and draconian its is, ffs people were calling Boris a NAZI last lockdown. People in towns and cities cry how unfair it is they cannot walk the beach, yet people who live at the coast can etc

If the distanced isn’t specified we get well, I’ve driven 40 miles and that’s ok because no distance is specified.

If the police fine people they are NAZI WANKERS, if they don’t they aren’t doing their jobs...

Meh ~ the human race is fucked, all common sense has gone, and people expect the governments to tell them exactly what to do, but as soon as they do, they are the next Hitler.

Everyone is entitled to do whatever the fuck they want, 'for the good of society' can take a running jump. You see it all the time - I blame Thatcher...
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
moth

Post by moth »

JamJar wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:40 am Fracture of femur? So a broken leg is a pre existing condition!
So are 'flu and pneumonia apparently.
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

moth wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:54 am
Wreckless Rat wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:10 am To me this just highlights the impossible situation government and police are in...

Everyone is entitled to do whatever the fuck they want, 'for the good of society' can take a running jump. You see it all the time - I blame Thatcher...
Ah yes, that old chestnut, blaming someone else. Always a get out of jail free card for the retarded and self indulgent..
irie

Post by irie »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:52 am While making light of “it only affects people with preexisting conditions”

32% of men, 26% of women have hypertension, and an estimated 4-5million people in the UK have undiagnosed hypertension.

That’s just one condition.
Yep, plenty of Covid-19 fodder in the untreated 4-5 million.

Thanks for the post.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

irie wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:24 am

These "Main pre-existing conditions" are from the ONS (2020) and are ranked with the highest risk first.

Fracture of femur
How's that one work then ? I've got one of them... Not now of course, but once upon a time.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Last lockdown, all the car parks were closed. This was the car park at Loughshore yesterday.

The day after so called tough lockdown regs came in. Cafe open, ice cream vans, playground open.

It's not this busy on a summer Sunday, people are taking the piss.