What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Count Steer »

At one time my permies used to mutter about our contractors being on an apparent £80k pa. I pointed out that contractors didn't get: paid leave, paid sick, paid training, pensions, job security etc etc and pondered out loud as to why some of the contract staff had tapped me up about becoming permanent staff. (I actually recruited a few of the contract people as permies at my next job).

People tend to just see the ££s going out (they forgot the agency takes a slice too, because, usually, we worked through agencies rather than directly with individuals). It's mainly that folk don't understand/ignore the down side of being self employed.

In project cost/planning terms the cost for permies and contract was actually the same, once you did full absorption costing of permanent staff.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Some of the trades have turned in to right pisstakers, especially the non-skilled ones likes painter / decorators. We had decorators in a while back - one of the best rated in the area and their work was pretty shoddy, 5 days work and then they had to do another 2 days rework to make good their screw-ups. Guy was pleading poverty and almost begging for payments for his 'lads'!

On the other hand had the tree surgeons in on Weds (proper qualified guys, not pikeys) - 4 guys grafting really hard for 3/4 of a day, bill was £750. More than happy to pay, have used them for years in a couple of houses.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Potter wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:14 am
mangocrazy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:41 pm We live in a cul-de-sac that also happens to be unadopted. We're also easy walking disrtance to the train station, so it's common to find cars dumped in our road in the morning then disappear around 5 or 6 o'clock.

Today some fuckwit parked so badly that he/she/it all but closed the entrance to the road off. So I did this.

DSCF4073.JPG
Personally I don’t think that’s big or clever.
I understand the gripe and I’d also be inclined to address it, but it would have been a polite and formal notice without the drama.

There are people that probably don’t want to see that sort of language posted in the street. Calling someone a cunt anonymously from afar is unnecessary and cowardly.
OK, so it's Potter, upholder of rights and values today, is it? You never really know which one will show up.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

v8-powered wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:14 am Some of the trades have turned in to right pisstakers, especially the non-skilled ones likes painter / decorators.

My mate Brian, here in the village would not be happy with you. He was a painter and decorator in the Ely area before retiring here to Turkey. He did a 4 year apprenticeship iirc and you'd be seriously insulting him if you called him non-skilled. :evil:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yambo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:26 am
v8-powered wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:14 am Some of the trades have turned in to right pisstakers, especially the non-skilled ones likes painter / decorators.

My mate Brian, here in the village would not be happy with you. He was a painter and decorator in the Ely area before retiring here to Turkey. He did a 4 year apprenticeship iirc and you'd be seriously insulting him if you called him non-skilled. :evil:
Anyone that thinks a decorator is unskilled has never tried hanging pattern matched wallpaper. :lol:
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:53 am Yesterday, rather than today, but we got quotes for painting the outside of our house,

The materials are about a quarter of the price and the rest is labour, for what they say is about a weeks work for two people, it's quite a size so I thought it would take longer but I suppose two of them battering away with rollers would make quick work of the main parts. So that's £1,500 a week for a painter and decorator.
Do some sums:

- Decide how long (including getting materials and tools, etc.) would it take you to do it.

- Work out how much you would earn in that time.

- If that's more than the quote, earn it and pay them. If not, DIY.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:36 am

Yeah, I do get that some may have served their time but most are just blaggers that have grabbed a set of brushes and spent a few years building up a following on local FB groups etc. Funnily enough the 2 guys that did ours, I doubt either were time served, but their 2 apprentices who were near the end of their apprenticeships were shockingly bad - lumps of paint skin in the walls, un-sanded filler under the paint, dings that had been marked up left unfilled etc.

Anyone that thinks a decorator is unskilled has never tried hanging pattern matched wallpaper. :lol:
My old mum was an ace at wall papering, she never did an apprenticeship :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:34 am 72k turnover ain't the same as pocketing 72k as a salary though, is it?
Being on a salary of £72k isn’t the same as pocketing £72k.
Tax, travel to work, etc, all the same stuff.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Guy who did my interior had just come off a job hanging wallpaper. Bespoke wallpaper that cost something daft like hundreds per roll and for which he had no excess/spare.

That tested his skills, apparently.

It's definitely a skilled job! If it weren't they wouldn't be able to charge loads. Even "being willing to do ballache jobs no-one else wants to do" counts as a skill in my book :D
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Potter wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:22 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:40 am 1500 quid for a week's labour ain't mad, in any context, is it?
Sadlonelygit wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:13 am
£70k a year, if they work 52 weeks

Wouldn't get out of bed for that.............would you Mr P?
£72k for a painter and decorator seems like good money?
But you have missed the point. They don't work 52 weeks. After holibobs, a bit of sick, and Xmas/winter slack and the occasional non payer they'll be 'lucky' to get 9 months work which comes out as a more reasonable £55 ISH k.
Still not a sum to be sniffed at for chucking paint at a wall mind!
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

“I’m worth the huge salary I earn, but he’s not worth his modest one….”
Potter

Post by Potter »

A proper painter and decorator is a skilled job, it takes time to learn how to build that skill up.

Like bricklaying or plastering, it’s really hard to do it properly and takes the time to learn.
That’s why it’s called serving your time.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Wossname wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:20 am “I’m worth the huge salary I earn, but he’s not worth his modest one….”
I don’t know if that’s aimed at me but I didn’t take the cheapest quote and I agreed to pay in full and didn’t ask for any discount.

A good job is worth more than a couple of hundred off.

I was just surprised at the cost tbh, but I took it as I’m out of touch rather than them taking the piss because all the quotes weren’t that far apart.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Potter wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:27 am

Like plastering, it’s really hard to do it properly and takes the time to learn.
If you want evidence of that, I can post up photos of my tape and jointing efforts. :lol:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

If one was £4k and the rest much cheaper, I’d say he didn’t like the job or the customer, or was a chancer. If all the quotes were similar, I reckon that’s the right price for the job. We had a painter quote for a job in NI - 2 men, a week’s work - £2500. He rang near the time and said weather had messed him up and he couldn’t get to it. Found someone else - one bloke, one week - £1250. Well recommended and seems to have done a decent job. I’m not sure what the lesson is.

Btw- VAT in your £4k? - makes a difference. And why would you want/ expect a discount?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

v8-powered wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:59 am

Yeah, I do get that some may have served their time but most are just blaggers that have grabbed a set of brushes and spent a few years building up a following on local FB groups etc. Funnily enough the 2 guys that did ours, I doubt either were time served, but their 2 apprentices who were near the end of their apprenticeships were shockingly bad - lumps of paint skin in the walls, un-sanded filler under the paint, dings that had been marked up left unfilled etc.

My old mum was an ace at wall papering, she never did an apprenticeship :D
Funnily enough mine was too. (The old man was the paintbrush wielder). They did a decent job between them but I suspect a professional would know it was a DiY job.

I have absolutely no idea where or how she learned to wield a pasting brush. :D
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Every time I've had someone quote for a large piece of renovation work I've had at least one offer of a discount if I pay cash. Always an instant red flag for me :D

They probably went home to moan about Amazon not paying taxes or something.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:03 am I have absolutely no idea where or how she learned to wield a pasting brush. :D
There's a clip going around on LinkedIn of a lady on some TV game show doing her introduction spiel.

She applies MLI "multi layer insulaiton" to satellites. The 'gold foil' stuff. So she spends her days putting incredibly expensive material onto even more expensive satellites. But she looks and speaks like a mad cat woman :D

'course - she learned how to wrap stuff in other stuff by doing crafts, bakery and things like that. Which makes her the perfect person for the practical task of carefully wrapping a spacecraft in very high tech tinfoil. :thumbup:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:05 am Which makes her the perfect person for the practical task of carefully wrapping a spacecraft in very high tech tinfoil. :thumbup:
I bet the sandwiches she takes in for lunch are a work of aluminium foil artwork. :D
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:09 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:05 am Which makes her the perfect person for the practical task of carefully wrapping a spacecraft in very high tech tinfoil. :thumbup:
I bet the sandwiches she takes in for lunch are a work of aluminium foil artwork. :D
I used to work quite a lot with guys who do 'hand laid' carbon fibre composites. The classic carbon fibre bodywork stuff you think of when someone says "carbon fibre".

Secret Santa was always a very neat affair.