What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Potter »

Pirahna wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:12 am
Potter wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:22 am
The state pension goes up by a reasonable amount if you defer it, (don't quote me but I'm sure I checked and it's something like 10% a month extra for every year you defer it). I don't intend to take my pension until I need it, hopefully we'll have enough money to see us into our eighties so I'll probably defer it for as long as possible, then if/when our money runs out we'll have good state pensions and not have to worry.
1% for every 9 weeks apparently.

https://www.gov.uk/deferring-state-pension/what-you-get
:thumbup:

I knew I'd read it somewhere, it's not applicable to me but if you reached the state pension before 2016 and defer then it's 10%...

Example
You get £156.20 a week (the full basic State Pension).

By deferring for 52 weeks, you’ll get an extra £16.24 a week (10.4% of £156.20).
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The major worry about that plan for me would be the government pulling the rug out from under you, probably just after the point where you've run out of your own money.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I'd imagine HM pensions keep a close eye on how many deferrals are applied and it wouldn't suprise me if they use it as ammo for further delays in payment. For me its 67 atm but no doubt 68 soon enough.

A lad at work is 50 and said he's gonna take his lump sum when he's 55, plans for this and that. I told him to check again, it might be 57.

Wrong thread really. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Felix wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:42 pm
Noggin wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:18 pm I was asked to meet some friends this evening as they have staff here that don't know anyone. Ended up with a group of fairly drunk people doing bowling!

I'm so boring, but am working in the office alone tomorrow - that's bad enough on it's own so no way did I want a hangover!! LOL

But, I did have my first go at bowling in about 6+ years!! :lol: I can confirm that I play bowling left handed about as well as I play darts lefthanded!! Not injuries though (me or anyone else!!) so that's a bonus!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That got me thinking. I have never threw a bowling ball in my life :o Not like i have never been in a bowling ally just never to play.
Bowling wasn't a thing when I was young, we played skittles!! Same principle, but no automation and no holes in the balls!!

I wasn't bad at skittles and then bowling - but I'm not ready to risk throwing a bowling ball with my right and and it turns out that playing as a leftie caused me to miss more than hit :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Potter wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:20 am
Pirahna wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:12 am
Potter wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:22 am
The state pension goes up by a reasonable amount if you defer it, (don't quote me but I'm sure I checked and it's something like 10% a month extra for every year you defer it). I don't intend to take my pension until I need it, hopefully we'll have enough money to see us into our eighties so I'll probably defer it for as long as possible, then if/when our money runs out we'll have good state pensions and not have to worry.
1% for every 9 weeks apparently.

https://www.gov.uk/deferring-state-pension/what-you-get
:thumbup:

I knew I'd read it somewhere, it's not applicable to me but if you reached the state pension before 2016 and defer then it's 10%...

Example
You get £156.20 a week (the full basic State Pension).

By deferring for 52 weeks, you’ll get an extra £16.24 a week (10.4% of £156.20).
Yes, that's the regime that applied to me. I deferred for 5 years and 8 months at the 10.4% rate.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:39 am The major worry about that plan for me would be the government pulling the rug out from under you, probably just after the point where you've run out of your own money.
I think that would be likely, I haven't looked at it properly but it looks they've reduced it by around half already, so by the time I'm eligible I think it would be risky.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yesterday actually, but I put some music on and went at one of my bikes with some autosol and a toothbrush for an afternoon.
Attachments
ss1.jpg
ss1.jpg (977.23 KiB) Viewed 264 times
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Packed my case again for another trip a bit further south. Got to clear leaves from gutters first. :(
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:55 am
Yes, that's the regime that applied to me. I deferred for 5 years and 8 months at the 10.4% rate.
At what point do you come out ahead on that - about 12 years or so after you take your pension?
twids

Post by twids »

Stated to dry line the ceiling in our kitchen, it's a bit high (c.3meters) and I struggled to get the board in place, then found this

https://skill-builder.uk/plasterboard-c ... asy-method which kind of works but is still hard work by myself and likely to end up with something getting broken so I've put another coat of paint on our youngest bedroom wall. Kids and their Mum are playing / coaching rugby this morning so it's s good time to get on with things.

Just sat with a cuppa before I carry on.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

wheelnut wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:20 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:55 am
At what point do you come out ahead on that - about 12 years or so after you take your pension?
I haven't actually worked that out. My reasoning was more based on how much I felt I needed to live on in retirement and thereby how much state pension I'd need. I'd been a mixture of unwise and unlucky in private pension provision; unwise in that I'd contributed nothing into a private pension during the 10 years I'd been contracting, and unlucky in that the pension provision I had made was invested in Equitable Life.

So my pension consists of SP plus the workplace pension I'd built up from 2000 to 2020, hence the need to maximise the SP by deferring.

I'll live as long as I'll live after retirement but I wish to be financially comfortable during that time.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Potter

Post by Potter »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:28 pm
I'll live as long as I'll live after retirement but I wish to be financially comfortable during that time.
My thinking is the same and that's why I'd looked at managing on my own money until the state pension had deferred enough to give me what I need.

Although by the time I get there it might be better to take the money and stick it in an ISA every month, but I'll have to wait and see.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:35 pm Although by the time I get there it might be better to take the money and stick it in an ISA every month, but I'll have to wait and see.
I won't hit state retirement age until the 2050s. I fully expect ChatGPT/the EU/Hesbolah/the reanimated cyborg corpse of Nigel Farage will have taken over by then. Probably makes more sense to take the money and buy spiked shoulder pads and sawn off shotguns.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:40 pm
I won't hit state retirement age until the 2050s. I fully expect ChatGPT/the EU/Hesbolah/the reanimated cyborg corpse of Nigel Farage will have taken over by then. Probably makes more sense to take the money and buy spiked shoulder pads and sawn off shotguns.
If I were a young man I'd gearing up to buy a place at some stage with enough land to grow food and ideally a water source or opportunities to sink a well.

Unless you want to live on The Pony's insect protein.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I made a Snow Angel :D :D Ok, a wonky Snow Angel, but there's not a lot I can do about that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Forgot how hard it is to walk in deep snow - it was probably about 20cm deep in most of the places I walked. There's around 30cms on some of the walls up in the resort (only a few metres higher than me but maybe the rain didn't hit so hard those few metres higher up!)

Where I did the snow angel was a terrace that was a bit sheltered, so I wasn't trying to get back up out of deep snow!! :lol: :lol:

I do so love snow :D :D :D

My jeans, walking boots and socks are now drying by the radiator in case some friends decide that yes, they want to go for pizza tonight (now there is a restaurant open on weekend evenings!!) :D

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Noggin wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:57 pm
Cold nasty wet stuff! :evil:
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Cooked a roast at work.
IMG_0591.jpeg
IMG_0591.jpeg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 209 times
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Been canyoning up in the hills, absolutely fcuked now and need a kip!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:26 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:57 pm
Cold nasty wet stuff! :evil:
There's the difference!! You live somewhere that it is actually cold, nasty and wet in the winter. I chose to move somewhere where it is generally cold and dry - when snow falls it's not wet, but yes, not wearing the right kit (like me today!) does cause a person to get wet, but damn, this snow stuff is proper lush. I suppose one day I might get bored of it, but I do so hope not!! LOL
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:41 pm Cooked a roast at work.IMG_0591.jpeg
Still savaging your carrots I see, what did they ever do to you? :D