General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ChrisW

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by ChrisW »

Tree's up :)

Felix

Post by Felix »

I put a tree up also but for an 86 year old.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

ChrisW wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:56 pm Tree's up :)

You know it's the 1st December?
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

weeksy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:49 pm You know it's the 1st December?
Of course, any earlier would have been out of the question. We're not savages!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mrs Mango is talking about retrieving the (fake) Christmas tree from the frozen wastes of the attic and erecting it in the living room. My money is on Wilko (the cat) winning this particular exchange.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Rode to work (train strikes).
IMG_0738.jpeg
IMG_0738.jpeg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 412 times
It was COLD!🥶
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Drove to the valley in the hope that Lidl would still have some half price excellent Cheddar - sold out :(

But, cos I asked a favour of the boss (to use a vehicle) he asked me to get to the valley before 8am to drop off the vehicle from up here and use a different one in the depot! :lol: So my friend that also needed to go down had to get up earlier too :lol: :lol: We got to Bourg before the supermarkets opened but at least the cafe attached to SuperU was open and doing coffee so we went there first! Did the other places and then I introduced her to my pasty shop friend :D :D

Just got back and had a steak and ale pie (from my friends shop) for lunch - heading to work in a few mins.

It wasn't so cold here this morning, about -1, but I reckon we had at least 6 inches of snow over night :D :D :D So a gentle drive down very early and and another gentle drive back :D

I LOVE SNOW :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

As it such a cold day i thought i'd wash the windows and two cars. :wtf: I forgot how painful cold hands can be! The Africa Twin can continue to look like its been on an adventure...
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Went to Kempton Park for the London Classic Bike Show and Autojumble at 8:00am. Froze my balls off.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Noggin wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:30 am
It wasn't so cold here this morning, about -1, but I reckon we had at least 6 inches of snow over night :D :D :D So a gentle drive down very early and and another gentle drive back :D

I LOVE SNOW :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:
We had about 1 inch and similar overnight temperatures on Thursday. Everything stopped, schools were closed and the world was going to end in an ice age.

It had all melted by lunchtime.

You do have to wonder how the UK would survive a proper winter.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:44 pm
You do have to wonder how the UK would survive a proper winter.
Yet others complain when the council put out the gritters ...

Problem is that it doesn't happen often and regularly enough to encourage people to buy winter tyres, etc.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Drove down to the Sussex Craft Guild bash at Midhurst. Caught up with a few familiar faces and spent a few quid.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:33 am Rode to work (train strikes). IMG_0738.jpeg

It was COLD!🥶
I remember those days of commuting on a bike all year round, plus back then I used to work on a building site and there were no creature comforts like a warm brew cabin back then either, we'd find an empty room and sit on upturned buckets to eat our scoff, after riding to work and freezing my tits off.

I was tougher then, I'd cry if I had to do it today.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:43 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:33 am Rode to work (train strikes). IMG_0738.jpeg

It was COLD!🥶
I remember those days of commuting on a bike all year round, plus back then I used to work on a building site and there were no creature comforts like a warm brew cabin back then either, we'd find an empty room and sit on upturned buckets to eat our scoff, after riding to work and freezing my tits off.

I was tougher then, I'd cry if I had to do it today.
An empty room? Buckets? Luxury. I rode to work on my Lambretta TV175* to work in the deep freeze** at Chubby Chicken (no, seriously, I did!). We weren't supposed to be in more than 30 mins at a time but the old lags used to take the piss and drag their heels getting in there and me and my mate couldn't jam up the production line. It took them two weeks to get us thermal suits. Boxes of 'by weight' chickens would come down the rollers in boxes with wires round. We had to hoik them off and stack the boxes on pallets according to weight. You'd get blisters on your fingers from the wires, even with gloves on, then the skin would freeze and die. You ended up with holes in your fingers.

The ride home was chance to warm up. :D

(Money was good though :thumbup: ).

* bored out to 200cc eventually :lol:

** which was better than the first place they put us...sorting the bits that didn't go in the guts bin - like gall bladders - as the eviscerated chickens came down the line. You don't tend to get giblets in birds these days but, if you do, the chances of them originally belonging to that bird are about zero.
Voltaire
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:29 pm Drove down to the Sussex Craft Guild bash at Midhurst. Caught up with a few familiar faces and spent a few quid.
Jealous! I love Midhurst! I took the wife there for the weekend and stayed at the Spread Eagle. She never used the Spa and we never ate or drank in there, apart from breakfast. I did have a nice chat with John Stapleton on the terrace though...
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I totally forgot - I had my ‘chip’ updated!!!

Had to go to the pharmacy for me ‘ormones and asked if I had to make an appointment for the latest covid jab. Nope, sit there madam and the nurse will be along in 5 mins!!!

So, I’m now 5/5 but still don’t think I’ve been assimilated 🤣🤣🤣

I don’t feel fab right now but I’ve been sitting in a bastard cold office for five hours, so that’s the reason I don’t feel great 🤣🤣🤣
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:15 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:29 pm Drove down to the Sussex Craft Guild bash at Midhurst. Caught up with a few familiar faces and spent a few quid.
Jealous! I love Midhurst! I took the wife there for the weekend and stayed at the Spread Eagle. She never used the Spa and we never ate or drank in there, apart from breakfast. I did have a nice chat with John Stapleton on the terrace though...
There's only one real thing wrong with Midhurst.....traffic. It needs a by-pass. I suppose the other thing is it seems to be in thrall to the Cowdray estate. All those buildings with orange window frames. If you mooch about there in the evening, so many of the nice looking homes are unlit and I suspect they're AirBnB for the 'polo and Goodwood set'. :(

Stayed at the Spread Eagle quite a few times. We even did Christmas there once. The food is good but the missus did give a :thumbdown: on their poached eggs at breakfast. We did a sort of feature weekend there where the head chef took us foraging for 'shrooms. The final meal was all fungi based. He didn't use anything we found and the mate we took with us appeared to be a bit poorly having fondled the toadstools he claimed were mushrooms. :lol:
Voltaire
Felix

Post by Felix »

Did sod all. Well i did put ned battery connectors on the vans 2nd battery but apart from that slobbed about all day and it was ace.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:33 pm
Taipan wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:15 pm
There's only one real thing wrong with Midhurst.....traffic. It needs a by-pass. I suppose the other thing is it seems to be in thrall to the Cowdray estate. All those buildings with orange window frames. If you mooch about there in the evening, so many of the nice looking homes are unlit and I suspect they're AirBnB for the 'polo and Goodwood set'. :(

Stayed at the Spread Eagle quite a few times. We even did Christmas there once. The food is good but the missus did give a :thumbdown: on their poached eggs at breakfast. We did a sort of feature weekend there where the head chef took us foraging for 'shrooms. The final meal was all fungi based. He didn't use anything we found and the mate we took with us appeared to be a bit poorly having fondled the toadstools he claimed were mushrooms. :lol:
We went in the Wheatsheaf and the bloke ruiing it used to run a place I used in Leigh-on-Sea! Small world. Just along from there is a shop stuffed with a lovely bike collection. No signs or names on it, just a shop in road full of bikes?!

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Just found out my step brother has come out of the woodwork with a demand to see his dads will. The fucker is stinking rich, had no contact with his dad for at least 30 years & didn't even attend his funeral several weeks ago as he couldn't be fucked to travel from Southampton to Portsmouth.
He's up shit creek, everything went to my mum, no one else got a sausage.

Many years ago (80's) he worked for a bloke who owned a paint factory in Scumhampton, bloke retired & step-bro bought him out. Over the years he bought out a few competitors & ended up supplying the Ford factory in Eastleigh (yes, he made the white paint for Transits). Made a fortune & buggered off to France for decades, where he owned FIVE homes & married some bint with a herd of kids. Came back to the UK a few years ago & bought a pub in Scumhampton... which he promptly named after himself & hooked up with another bint with a herd of kids.

He's not in my mum's will either...

I think he's going to be a bit miffed, which pleases me greatly :)