What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Taipan

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:33 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:31 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:40 pm Thought so...

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-ad ... ement-age/
I think there are a few that have gone beyond 65 without any fuss. I dont think you can claim your state pension until you're 67, so that may have been a factor for them? I guess they'll talk me through the options nearer the time, and i have no idea what i'll do when the time comes. TBH, I dont feel old enough to retire and with elderly dependants, i'm not sure I want to quit a job i love to become a sort of carer?
See if they'll give you a 3 month trial retirement?

See if you like it ;)
I can go now under the flexi retirement agreement, but I don't want to pack up yet. If the new management start wanting more from me I might walk, but so far everyone seems more than happy with what I do...
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I think there are a few that have gone beyond 65 without any fuss. I dont think you can claim your state pension until you're 67, so that may have been a factor for them? I guess they'll talk me through the options nearer the time, and i have no idea what i'll do when the time comes. TBH, I dont feel old enough to retire and with elderly dependants, i'm not sure I want to quit a job i love to become a sort of carer?
I wasn't ready to retire at state pension age, so carried on for a few years and deferred the state pension. But when Covid hit it made me reassess various things and I decided it was time to retire. I'd also been going through the motions at work and enjoying it less and less, so it was the right time. I think you'll know when you're ready - I know I did.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:35 pm

I wasn't ready to retire at state pension age, so carried on for a few years and deferred the state pension. But when Covid hit it made me reassess various things and I decided it was time to retire. I'd also been going through the motions at work and enjoying it less and less, so it was the right time. I think you'll know when you're ready - I know I did.
Yeah, about 25
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I don't like the idea of deferring state pension, grab it ASAP would be my recommendation. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Why would you defer the state pension, you can claim it and carry on working if you want to.
Honda Owner
Horse

Post by Horse »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:14 pm Why would you defer the state pension, you can claim it and carry on working if you want to.
Anyone working now and thinking of retirement this year at age 65 won't get state pension until 66 anyway.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:14 pm Why would you defer the state pension, you can claim it and carry on working if you want to.
Due to me being born before 1950, when I deferred taking my SP I received an annual uplift of 10% - cumulative. this meant that after 5 years my SP had grown by 61%. I regarded that as worth having. Also, if you take the SP while still working it just means you pay shitloads more tax, especially if it pushes you into a higher tax bracket.

The uplift for deferring the SP for those born after 1950 is only 5%, so probably not worth it.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Like most pensions, the later you draw it the more you get. It's a gamble for sure. Dodging Tax as much as you can is what it's all about though. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Dodgy69 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:02 am Like most pensions, the later you draw it the more you get. It's a gamble for sure. Dodging Tax as much as you can is what it's all about though. 👍
That's why I would probably defer mine, it just gets lumped in with your wages and taxed at the highest amount. It may work out better to draw it and add it to a private pension through voluntary contributions so it doesn't get taxed, I'll worry about that when the time comes.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Since my wife went part-time, she doesn't pay national insurance, will that affect her state pension?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Taipan wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:23 pm Since my wife went part-time, she doesn't pay national insurance, will that affect her state pension?
I think there's an online calculator on the DWP site that will tell you how your NI contribution history will affect your pension.

One thing that did please me about working after state pension age and deferring the SP, was that you stop paying NI contributions. Every little helps...
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:39 pm
Taipan wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:23 pm Since my wife went part-time, she doesn't pay national insurance, will that affect her state pension?
I think there's an online calculator on the DWP site that will tell you how your NI contribution history will affect your pension.
Or if you have the HMRC app, it tells you exactly how much NI you've paid for every year since your first year of employment, as well as how it affects your state pension, what it will be, and when you'll get it etc.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I'd like to think most folk are retired by 67. Plus many of us have other pensions to bridge any gaps and add to SP.

I'd like my SP at 60 if I could. Those without other pensions generally keep working to top up, they have no choice.

Be interesting to hear of any differing in France. 🤷‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

You can pay it voluntarily, but can only backdate it for a certain amount of time, so get onto it sharpish!

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-i ... /deadlines
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

If she has worked or claimed child benefit for most of her adult life then it's likely she's already hit her limits so it won't make any difference. As others have mentioned get an HMRC account to find out properly, then if she's missing any years get them paid up.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I was asked to meet some friends this evening as they have staff here that don't know anyone. Ended up with a group of fairly drunk people doing bowling!

I'm so boring, but am working in the office alone tomorrow - that's bad enough on it's own so no way did I want a hangover!! LOL

But, I did have my first go at bowling in about 6+ years!! :lol: I can confirm that I play bowling left handed about as well as I play darts lefthanded!! Not injuries though (me or anyone else!!) so that's a bonus!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Painting a metal Ikea cabinet...just got the 4 shelves left to do.

Started watching American Sniper again... knowing full well that I can't watch the ending.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Noggin wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:18 pm I was asked to meet some friends this evening as they have staff here that don't know anyone. Ended up with a group of fairly drunk people doing bowling!

I'm so boring, but am working in the office alone tomorrow - that's bad enough on it's own so no way did I want a hangover!! LOL

But, I did have my first go at bowling in about 6+ years!! :lol: I can confirm that I play bowling left handed about as well as I play darts lefthanded!! Not injuries though (me or anyone else!!) so that's a bonus!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That got me thinking. I have never threw a bowling ball in my life :o Not like i have never been in a bowling ally just never to play.
Potter

Post by Potter »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:39 pm
There is indeed, it's easy to use - https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

I've paid my NI voluntarily for something like twenty years, mainly because I believe in the system, I didn't think about my pension when I started, but I do now it's getting closer, it's not much, IIRC about £25 a month or something, it comes out via DD, I haven't checked the amount for years.

The state pension goes up by a reasonable amount if you defer it, (don't quote me but I'm sure I checked and it's something like 10% a month extra for every year you defer it). I don't intend to take my pension until I need it, hopefully we'll have enough money to see us into our eighties so I'll probably defer it for as long as possible, then if/when our money runs out we'll have good state pensions and not have to worry.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Potter wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:22 am
The state pension goes up by a reasonable amount if you defer it, (don't quote me but I'm sure I checked and it's something like 10% a month extra for every year you defer it). I don't intend to take my pension until I need it, hopefully we'll have enough money to see us into our eighties so I'll probably defer it for as long as possible, then if/when our money runs out we'll have good state pensions and not have to worry.
1% for every 9 weeks apparently.

https://www.gov.uk/deferring-state-pension/what-you-get