Rossi announces retirement

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Slenver

Rossi announces retirement

Post by Slenver »

Nine-time world champion Valentino Rossi has announced that he will retire from MotoGP at the end of the 2021 season.

Rossi confirmed the news in a special press conference held ahead of the Grand Prix of Styria on Thursday afternoon (August 5). Despite rumours of Rossi potentially racing for his own VR46 Ducati team next season, retirement had been expected for several weeks after a disappointing start to the 2021 season.
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/mo ... etirement/

:o
Supermofo

Re: Rossi announces retirement

Post by Supermofo »

Right call. TBH he should of gone before. I get why he didn't want to but he's had his day now and time do something else. What a career though.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Rossi's first racing love was karting. Fuelled by his mother, Stefania's, concern for her son's safety, Graziano purchased a kart as substitute for the bike. However, the Rossi family trait of perpetually wanting to go faster prompted a redesign; Graziano replaced the 60cc motor with a 100cc national kart motor for his then 5-year-old son.[12]

Rossi won the regional kart championship in 1990.[13] After this he took up minimoto and before the end of 1991 had won numerous regional races.[11]

Rossi continued to race karts and finished fifth at the national kart championships in Parma. Both Valentino and Graziano had started looking at moving into the Italian 100cc series, as well as the corresponding European series, which most likely would have pushed him into the direction of Formula One. However, the high cost of racing karts led to the decision to race minimoto exclusively.[citation needed] Through 1992 and 1993, Valentino continued to learn the ins and outs of minimoto racing.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Yorick wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:50 pm Through 1992 and 1993, Valentino continued to learn the ins and outs of minimoto racing.
Should have stuck to karting.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'm a year older than Rossi, I retired from racing last year, so he's timed it about right.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Ya gotta feel a twinge for the end of an era.

Although Rossi may be rightly accused of tarnishing his legendary feats by overstaying his welcome,nevertheless in his prime he was a force of nature.

All time greats and the GOAT are largely pointless apples/oranges debates,but he's up there with the greats for sure and I'm chuffed I had the opportunity to watch him race. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Skub wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:20 pm Ya gotta feel a twinge for the end of an era.

Although Rossi may be rightly accused of tarnishing his legendary feats by overstaying his welcome,nevertheless in his prime he was a force of nature.

All time greats and the GOAT are largely pointless apples/oranges debates,but he's up there with the greats for sure and I'm chuffed I had the opportunity to watch him race. 8-)
Yeah, me too. Went to every British MotoGP from 1996 to 2015.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Who can bet against a wild card race on the VR46 Ducati at his home round ;).
Skub

Post by Skub »

I went to Valencia in 2015 when we all thought he would wrap it up that year. :roll: :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Skub wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:36 pm I went to Valencia in 2015 when we all thought he would wrap it up that year. :roll: :lol:
I saw him at Donington in, I think, 2006. It was the year he broke his leg and he was still not 100% when he competed. He got on the podium that year and took the boot of his injured leg then chucked it out into the crowd - I remember thinking then that was a big lump to be throwing from up on the podium :D
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Below an outstanding and deserved tribute from Rick Broadbent. One thing is certain, there will not be another Rossi in my lifetime. Thank you Valentino for all the fun and games and superb riding.

"Farewell Valentino Rossi – you were witty, wicked and wild"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/956e ... 3e51778a05