New and enthusiastic!

Welcome to REVTOTHELIMIT. Your forum for all things MOTORBIKE. From Ducati to Yamaha, from Suzuki to KTM, from Dakar to WSB, MotoGP and BSB. Come in and talk motorbikes with us. We have racers, riders, trackdays, we have DAS instructors and coaches.
acrmnsm

New and enthusiastic!

Post by acrmnsm »

Hello All,
A mate sent me here, I've been back on bikes for a year after 12 years off. I used to be dyed in the wool, I had my full bike licence 10 years before I ever learned to drive a car.
Once the kids turned up I got on a self preservation trip and sold all my bikes and gave away all my gear.

Anyway in the last 12 months I have bought CRF250, VTR1000F, and a Yam XJ6 commuter.

I am most impressed by the project bikes section. I used to be a Performance Bikes reader and they and their readers built the most amazing bikes. Anyone remember the Spondon 1260 and Debbie Ashby?

Anyway here's hoping this place grows and grows, I'll post a project one of these days.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: New and enthusiastic!

Post by weeksy »

That's quite a mix of bikes there, i'm assuming you're UK based ?

PBMag forum still exists, i'm a member over there, but of course i'm trying to steal their members too :)

Welcome in and hope you enjoy it here.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Welcome - and enjoy adding to the expansion of the site ! :thumbup:
G.P

Post by G.P »

Welcome in :)
I had a firestorm a few years back, thirsty bugger but lovely road engine. It got me into V twins and I've ended up with 3 Ducatis.. :thumbup:

Hope you enjoy the vibe here :D
acrmnsm

Post by acrmnsm »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:42 pm That's quite a mix of bikes there, i'm assuming you're UK based ?

PBMag forum still exists, i'm a member over there, but of course i'm trying to steal their members too :)

Welcome in and hope you enjoy it here.
Thanks for the welcome.
Well sort of the CRF and VTR are in the UK, relaxing in my brothers garage, but I am currently finishing 18 months of contracting in south of France. I'll be back at the end of July.

The XJ6 was the French commuter, 100km a day. I put 10000 km on it in a year.
Bikes down here are mental - I bought that one with 42k on it, for the same money a UK bike would have 15k Miles. But everyone commutes on bikes otherwise you don't get anywhere.
I put a new tyre and chain/sprocket kit and just sold it for 500euros more than I paid for it..

CRF is 2017 and ready to ride, I have TET fantasies.
The VTR needs a small amount of love, so I will be posting pics that one in the future.

PB Mag forum? I stopped reading it in the late 90's, I liked Mark Forsyth,John Robinson(RIP) Trevor Franklin, the dole mole rear wheel steering guy (also RIP I think), Simon Hargreaves. NWS, all that jazz.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

https://pbmagforum.co.uk

it's over there :)
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Spondon 1260 is now in Australia, who knows where Debby Ashby is?
Honda Owner
acrmnsm

Post by acrmnsm »

I'd like to see pics of both..
acrmnsm

Post by acrmnsm »

I found the PB pic here. Scroll down..
http://www.spondonownersclub.co.uk/burnsiebikes.html
Skub

Post by Skub »

Welcome along dude with the unpronounceable name!

I remember PB fondly. Guys like Mark Forsythe,Trevor Franklin and tech heads such as John Robinson gave the mag a great balance between the lunacy and the educational.

I had a video of Whitham riding the Spondon on track and evey time he opened the throttle the thing went sideways. Looked unrideable. :lol:

Debee Ashby...I may not recall her face... :1
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
G.P

Post by G.P »

Skub wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:14 pm Welcome along dude with the unpronounceable name!

I remember PB fondly. Guys like Mark Forsythe,Trevor Franklin and tech heads such as John Robinson gave the mag a great balance between the lunacy and the educational.

I had a video of Whitham riding the Spondon on track and evey time he opened the throttle the thing went sideways. Looked unrideable. :lol:

Debee Ashby...I may not recall her face... :1
I remember Forsyth came out to NZ when I was living there. I watched him racing a Ducati 851/888 in battle of the twins at Pukekohe raceway. He was Instantly recognisable by his spotty Helmet (!) that regulalry adorned the cover of PB.
From memory he had a 2nd in every race, mainly due to that pesky kiwi kid called Andrew Stroud, who happened to be riding an Britten V1000 8-)

God I wish I'd had recorded those days..
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:49 am Spondon 1260 is now in Australia, who knows where Debby Ashby is?
She was on telly last night on a programme about the rise and fall of the Page 3 girls ;)

This should take you and the OP back as well. Photo i took at Knockhill mid 80's among a paddock full of early GSXR 750 and 1100 as well as RD and RG500's

acrmnsm

Post by acrmnsm »

I'd like to see the Whitam Spondon VId.

Love the Harris.

In aboout 93/94 there was a PB article where NWS took an older 'up and over frame GSXR' and welded a beam on to it, that was a cool bike.

I wish I still had all those mags.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Welcome aboard.

PB was just right for its time- lots of fond memories, tinged with sadness (Ronnie Smith, Gus Scott...)