Radiator repair or replacement

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
BBB

Radiator repair or replacement

Post by BBB »

The fins on my rad are very squashed so not cooling as well as they could. It's a 99 zx6r so no spring chicken. I've yet to try opening them up so weighing up my options.

1. Straighten the fins. Could end up making it worse though

2. Replace. Looking at pattern at this point, some on Amazon but could easily be poorly made ill fitting garbage. Anyone have any experience of cheap rads?

3. Get it re-cored. My preferred option. Looking at West mercia rads bit will be a job over the winter.

Opinions and experience appreciated. Thanks
Scotsrich

Re: Radiator repair or replacement

Post by Scotsrich »

I got a cheap one for my ZZR 1100. I think it came from eBay.

You’ve got the choice of shipping from China or for a few quid more use a U.K. stockist. I suspect they are the same radiators.

It looked fine, felt solid and bolted onto the existing brackets with no problems.

I didn’t get much of a chance to use it as I sold the bike soon after but I’ve no reason to believe it would fail any time soon.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Cheapest option first imho.

Get the tweezers out and try straightening the fins. If they start snapping, stop and do one of the other two options.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

First, my mate who has a couple of race ZX6Rs might have a radiator, I'll ask
Second, I bought one of the cheap Chinese radiators for my CB400SF, it was better made than the Honda one.
Honda Owner
rossm

Post by rossm »

Used a cheap ebay China one on my ZX12R it was fitted straight and never caused any problems, sold the bike now but have no reason to believe it not to be going strong now
BBB

Post by BBB »

Thanks all. Trying to find a UK based supplier, ebay all seem to be based in Germany or direct from China so delivery could be problematic at the moment.

@Le_Fromage_Grande would appreciate that, thanks.
Skub

Post by Skub »

BBB wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:50 pm Thanks all. Trying to find a UK based supplier, ebay all seem to be based in Germany or direct from China so delivery could be problematic at the moment.

@Le_Fromage_Grande would appreciate that, thanks.
Stuff gets through to the UK just fine. I've recently had items from China and France. The China gear can take about 3 or 4 weeks,but from Europe it's within a week,so I wouldn't worry.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

BBB

Post by BBB »

I'll give straightening the fins a go. Hopefully they won't turn to dust...

Was looking at the combs so will get a set ordered. Rarely pass up the opportunity to buy new tools.
BBB

Post by BBB »

Had a bit of a test poke around earlier, the fins either crumble to dust or they're so compressed it's like trying to straighten a ball of tin foil.

There's a second hand rad on ebay or a small number of pattern ones. Any recommendations on brands to buy or to avoid? Imagine they probably come from same factory but...
Doc

Post by Doc »

I bought a pattern rad for my cb500 from M&P. Quality was fine, no problem with the fit and it worked perfectly for 18 months before I sold the bike.
It was about £40 more than the Chinese ebay ones (probably from the same factory!) but no worrries about import duty and there's more chance of warranty support from a UK supplier.
BBB

Post by BBB »

Couldn't find anything on the M&P website but their eBay shop listed a suitable rad. £112 but at least UK based and in stock, should be delivered next week. Happy with that.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

BBB wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:24 pm Couldn't find anything on the M&P website but their eBay shop listed a suitable rad. £112 but at least UK based and in stock, should be delivered next week. Happy with that.
Bit late to the party but was going to suggest M & P as they seem to be the current go to for older bikes pattern parts. Got a new mirror for my 2000 Fazer from them last week.

ZX6R radiators were ones that always suffered lots of damage so finding a decent second hand one was like sourcing unicorn poo ...... i know i couldnt find one for my 99 and that was quite a few years ago and Metz (from visordown) also had the same issue.

If there was no joy there then wemoto also have some older pattern parts
BBB

Post by BBB »

Radiator has turned up. All alloy and welded rather than pressed steel, welding looks OK and the hose fittings are a good thickness and plenty of thread on the temp sensor fitting. No idea on if it will hold water and fit OK. The mounting tabs are chunky too but the top rail above the core has been welded a bit squint.