Superbikes - When Britain Ruled the World

Anything you like about motorbikes
KungFooBob

Superbikes - When Britain Ruled the World

Post by KungFooBob »

Is on ITV4 now, you can catch it on ITV4+1 in half an hours time (it's already been on for half an hour).

It's an oldish program, but I've not seen it before.

Nice to see Foggy saying what a twat he was when he was racing and how he's really sorry to Slight for fucking with his head, he admits he changed in 2000 when he stopped racing and became a much nicer bloke!
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Superbikes - When Britain Ruled the World

Post by weeksy »

You say that, but when watching him on Whit and friends he just looks like he's thinking "FFS go away" every time anyone asks him a question. I've still never seen the guy smile or have an emotion.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I used to think he was a nob (still do a bit), I was convinced when he went on IACGMOOH the the great British public would hate him.... and he went and won it!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

There's also a bit where Frankie Chili admits he was wrong when Foggy overtook him and he fell off and had a massive paddy, says he can't watch it!

Apparently Chili turned sat in the front row of the after race press conference in a blue dressing gown and gave him some shit!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Foggy may be 'nicer',but I don't think he'll ever be accused of being nice. :lol:

He and his missus were guests at a local bike show a few years ago,Michaela all dolled up in her leather troos etc. An ex squaddie headcase mate of mine made an audible lewd comment addressed to Carl's back,he swung around and stared me in the face,I thought he was going to have a go! Saying,'it wasn't me mate' seemed a bit lame so I kept my mouth shut and endured the laser eyes until he stopped doing that. :lol:

Matey was very amused,the wanker.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I went to all the home WSB rounds and cheered him and other brit riders. Still thought he was a twat :mrgreen:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

It's here if anyone missed it...

Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Skub wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:48 pm Foggy may be 'nicer',but I don't think he'll ever be accused of being nice. :lol:

He and his missus were guests at a local bike show a few years ago,Michaela all dolled up in her leather troos etc. An ex squaddie headcase mate of mine made an audible lewd comment addressed to Carl's back,he swung around and stared me in the face,I thought he was going to have a go! Saying,'it wasn't me mate' seemed a bit lame so I kept my mouth shut and endured the laser eyes until he stopped doing that. :lol:

Matey was very amused,the wanker.
I think the general consensus is that he's fantastic rider, but an arsehole of epic proportions. Like McCallen only up a few notches.

I heard a story that he was on the ferry heading to this island and a kid asked him for an autograph and was told to fuck off.

Problem was, the kid was a traveller, and his extended family were on the boat too heading to a wedding, and as you know, they're not known for their gentle demeanor and kindly natures, ergo Mr Fogarty had to hide until the boat docked lest he take a swimming lesson or a good hiding.
"Does this bus go to the Titanic?"

"No missus, It's a submarine you need....."
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I used to watch WSB religiously during that era. I got so taken with it I went to Brands, on my own, to watch it. Came home for the 2nd race though, as you can't see shit at a track.

Always heard Foggy was a twat, but most people at the top of their game are so focused they come across as super arrogant and of course play mind games with their competitors, Boxers typify this. Have to say Foggy came across well on Celebrity and won fans because his arrogance came across as a strong, unwavering and straight talking personality and he looked better than the back biters.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Foggy is a twat, but he can ride a bike better than most people and has the focus and will to win.

Well worth watching the Isle of Man race where he set the lap record on an OW01, I think the record stood for about 5 years, it's an incredible bit of aggressive riding on a road circuit.
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:55 am Foggy is a twat, but he can ride a bike better than most people and has the focus and will to win.

Well worth watching the Isle of Man race where he set the lap record on an OW01, I think the record stood for about 5 years, it's an incredible bit of aggressive riding on a road circuit.
According to the program, that OW01 was a wreck by the time it finished. The clocks had fallen off along with part of the exhaust and a sprocket bolt had come loose and had worn the swingarm half way through.
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

Foggy reckoned he was one of those people who had to hate his rivals to beat them, and that after he retired from racing he had made up with the likes of Slight and Edwards and become firm friends. While I respected his riding ability I never rated someone who had to resort to off-track gamesmanship. I've always thought racing should be fastest man wins fair and square. But then to get to the top of most sports you've got to have a bit of a psycho streak I reckon.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:51 am
Julian_Boolean wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:55 am Foggy is a twat, but he can ride a bike better than most people and has the focus and will to win.

According to the program, that OW01 was a wreck by the time it finished. The clocks had fallen off along with part of the exhaust and a sprocket bolt had come loose and had worn the swingarm half way through.
Apparently so, if I remember I'll ask Pete Beale as he had the bike a few years ago before it went into the museum on the Isle of Man
Honda Owner
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Today we have this year's WSB dates on line. Starting as they said in Jerez after the two MotoGP race weekends.

We'll end up with square eyes this summer, loads of weekends with three sets of racing on.
Brian
acrmnsm

Post by acrmnsm »

Thanks for the vid, v good.
So where is the next decent UK bike race? I think I need to take the kids.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

acrmnsm wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:27 am Thanks for the vid, v good.
So where is the next decent UK bike race? I think I need to take the kids.
2020 BSB.jpg
2020 BSB.jpg (324.99 KiB) Viewed 1900 times