Jake Dixon

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Skub

Jake Dixon

Post by Skub »

With all the upheaval in the Petronas squads,what with McPhee's crew chief being seconded to Dixon and leaving McPhee with no chief,are the rumours true that Dorna want a Brit in Motogp,so they've decided JD is it? Stiggy says not,but the idea persists.

Is he(Dixon) good enough to warrant these rather drastic decisions? Will he do any better on Rossi's bike than he's doing in Moto 2?

I understand all 3 Petronas teams are having a shit time,but is this the way forward for them?
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Jake Dixon

Post by weeksy »

No and no. Sorry, but just no. Not even a maybe.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

He was good in BSB but that's a low level.
He showed flashes last year and should maybe have won a race.

I'm all for him getting a chance, but needs to be a good bike.
Then again, there's no shite bikes like back in the old days
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

And a few in MotoGP didn't do much in Moto2.

Aleix Spag has only ever had 2 podiums in all classes in nearly 300 races.
Skub

Post by Skub »

It can be hard to predict how any rider will fare when moving from one class or series to another. I suppose that's one of the skills needed to be a manager of a successful team.

Who knows,Jake Dixon could be a contender in the big class,but I've seen nothing yet to convince me.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:54 pm And a few in MotoGP didn't do much in Moto2.

He is very much the exception though, look at the rest of them (ignoring Savadori) and they're full of ex-race winners, podiums, fastest laps, championship winners/contenders. It's very very rare for someone to get to MotoGP now who isn't at the top of the pile. Aleix Espagaro only got that because he was prepared to jump on the what was then a terrible death knell of the Aprilia, which he's kinda helped turn into a half decent machine.

So for Jake Dixon to get given a bike now, especially a Yamaha, would be pretty much unthinkable for me. It'd be like giving Shakey the WCM, just bloody pointless.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:57 am
Yorick wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:54 pm And a few in MotoGP didn't do much in Moto2.

He is very much the exception though, look at the rest of them (ignoring Savadori) and they're full of ex-race winners, podiums, fastest laps, championship winners/contenders. It's very very rare for someone to get to MotoGP now who isn't at the top of the pile. Aleix Espagaro only got that because he was prepared to jump on the what was then a terrible death knell of the Aprilia, which he's kinda helped turn into a half decent machine.

So for Jake Dixon to get given a bike now, especially a Yamaha, would be pretty much unthinkable for me. It'd be like giving Shakey the WCM, just bloody pointless.
An exception but not alone. Would you have given Fabio a Yamaha? I think everyone thought Yamaha were mental giving him the ride and he definitely seemed a place holder and nothing more. Fabio's record pre MotoGP, 1 win and 4 podiums and definitely not a title contender in anyway.
Attachments
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (14.64 KiB) Viewed 355 times
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Back to Jake. I wouldn't give him a MotoGP ride. But sounds like they are giving him a good shot at proving himself before sacking him off. From what's been said Dorna want a Yank and a Brit. Looks like they think Jake is the best Brit shot, I hope they are right but it's not looking good. Personally I don't think any of the Brit's are good enough. Or the Yanks.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Skub wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:45 pm With all the upheaval in the Petronas squads,what with McPhee's crew chief being seconded to Dixon and leaving McPhee with no chief,are the rumours true that Dorna want a Brit in Motogp,so they've decided JD is it? Stiggy says not,but the idea persists.
I also noticed Stiggy said during an interview that a riders place in the MotoGP squad would not be dependant purely on results but an ability to learn and improve and as @Supermofo pointed out Fabio wasnt exactly setting the world on fire results wise but impressed the team behind the scenes.

They obviously see something in Jake away from the cameras so even though the opinion so far isnt in his favour amongst this thread i wouldnt be totally surprised if he showed improvements back to the front of the pack where he ran before.

If they want a Brit, no matter how much i like Sam Lowes i dont see him getting another crack at it as those around him last year and this year and some below him in Moto2 are getting the golden tickets. There is nobody in the MotoGP paddock to pick from as McPhee wont get a shot so do they look at Scott Redding again ...... i dont see that happening either
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

The big ugly Sweaty gets it about right.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Yorick wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:29 pm The big ugly Sweaty gets it about right.
And i didnt even mention Gerloff coming in from WSB to take the ride as the desired Yank for the paddock ..... he gets an audition this weekend at Assen to stand in for Frankie who is injured ;)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:47 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:29 pm The big ugly Sweaty gets it about right.
And i didnt even mention Gerloff coming in from WSB to take the ride as the desired Yank for the paddock ..... he gets an audition this weekend at Assen to stand in for Frankie who is injured ;)
He's won Yanky champs a few times and still not world class yet.

Some more good Yanks and Brits would be good. But no rights of passage.