Tents for motorcycle camping.

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
blokeuptheroad

Tents for motorcycle camping.

Post by blokeuptheroad »

I'm a reasonably experienced camper, but not on a motorbike and fancy giving solo bike camping a try. I can re-purpose a lot of my gear but not the tent, as mine are massive family type jobs or a lightweight backpacking tent. I.e. too big or too small.

So something mid sized which won't take up too much space on the bike but which has enough room for me and my gear in reasonable comfort. Tents like the Khyam biker look ace, but a bit spendy for my liking, at least to start with as I won't know till I try it, if its something I will do regularly. I've been eyeing up own brand 3 man tents from Decathlon or Go outdoors. Any other fairly cheap suggestions?
Skub

Re: Tents for motorcycle camping.

Post by Skub »

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
blokeuptheroad

Post by blokeuptheroad »

:lol: well it meets the "cheap" brief, I'll give you that!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I've tried supermarket cheap and wouldn't again for anything further than my back garden. No faddy air poles or pop up tents either, probably get a basic Vango for summer time campsites. Get some hard ground pegs and take a claw hammer, possibly soft ground pegs depending where you are going.
https://www.winfieldsoutdoors.co.uk/van ... -man-tent/
blokeuptheroad

Post by blokeuptheroad »

Mussels wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:10 pm I've tried supermarket cheap and wouldn't again for anything further than my back garden. No faddy air poles or pop up tents either, probably get a basic Vango for summer time campsites. Get some hard ground pegs and take a claw hammer, possibly soft ground pegs depending where you are going.
https://www.winfieldsoutdoors.co.uk/van ... -man-tent/
That looks great thanks. Plenty of space for kit and a decent price. I have a Vango backpacking tent I've had for 12 years or so which has been on loads of trips and is still in good nick, so I know they're good quality.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I'd be looking for 3 or 4 man tent that fits nicely on bike, Plenty of height, Outer fly sheet up first. Porch and decent pegs, not those shit one's that pull out when the cows farts.

and a free piss bottle. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

The tent of choice for many i know including myself was the Coleman Phad in either X2 or X3 ....packs fairly small but roomy enough inside to move about a bit and a tiny porch bit to store panniers, bags etc

The X2 is the 2 man effort but with all bike gear its more a solo tent. Its the one i have but if i had tested one first i would have went for the X3 for a bit more room.

Had it a few years and still waterproof and i rate it highly. Quite a few mates use the same one or the X3 ;)

Just realised i have been on Ducati's for almost 5 years so the GS pic is about 6 or 7 years ago

blokeuptheroad

Post by blokeuptheroad »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:44 pm The tent of choice for many i know including myself was the Coleman Phad in either X2 or X3 ....packs fairly small but roomy enough inside to move about a bit and a tiny porch bit to store panniers, bags etc

The X2 is the 2 man effort but with all bike gear its more a solo tent. Its the one i have but if i had tested one first i would have went for the X3 for a bit more room.

Had it a few years and still waterproof and i rate it highly. Quite a few mates use the same one or the X3 ;)

Just realised i have been on Ducati's for almost 5 years so the GS pic is about 6 or 7 years ago

That looks great, thanks for the input :thumbup: A quick Google suggests the Phad isn't available anymore, but the Coleman Maluti looks very similar, possibly an updated version?
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

blokeuptheroad wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:10 am

That looks great, thanks for the input :thumbup: A quick Google suggests the Phad isn't available anymore, but the Coleman Maluti looks very similar, possibly an updated version?
The Maluti looks like the replacement as it’s almost identical in style and the one criticism I have of the Phad is the amount of light it lets in so the new “blackout” inner tent would be superb in my opinion. I always had to put something over my eyes to stop the light annoying me and camping in Norwegian summer when it’s daylight at midnight that became a nuisance trying to sleep
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Meant to add this one as i knew some mates used them ...... This was their 2019 Scotland trip mainly on big KTM's

3 out of the 5 all with the Phad tents

Brommo

Post by Brommo »

I`ve got this

It`s superb. Loads of room and easy to put up. Pretty well built too.

Always used to use 2 man tents but the 3 just makes life easier

looks like it`s been replaced by https://www.blacks.co.uk/15986793/euroh ... t-15986793

my 2p !