CB550 Cafe Racer - hopefully!

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Supermofo

CB550 Cafe Racer - hopefully!

Post by Supermofo »

I helped my mate clean his bikes Sunday to get them ready for MOT and a off road rally he's going to in a couple of weeks. At the end of the afternoon I convinced him to get his CB650 Cafe Racer out of the garage for an initial wash down. He bought it a while back in Holland, it's a CB550 made into a 650, can't remember how now. It's got a GSXR1000 front end, a headlight off a Beetle, Hagons and what were brand new rims and spokes. Circumstances got in the way and he left it with a mate who said he'd look after it....which he didn't. He dropped it off a trailer, he dropped something on the tank and then left it in the corner of a workshop uncovered. So it's looking a bit sorry for itself.

Mate wants rid (if you fancy a project) but I've told him how about we give it a go getting it back on the road as a project as I'm more than happy lending him a hand sorting it and it'll make more money sorted. I've no idea how long it'll take or even if it'll get off the ground but on the off chance it does I thought I'd start a thread.

Here are some initial pics (wait a min I need to post those from my phone as Flickr is blocked at work). There's some corrosion but a lot will clean up, the wheels came up lovely with a minimal spray with W5 and some water. Carbs and tank are going to need looking at as it's been standing a fair while with petrol in it, but ever the optimist :D It needs a new brake lever and MC as that got broken in the drop. I've said he can have the spare ones I have from my Firestorm if that works.

Anyway here's hoping for a new fred.
Supermofo

Re: CB550 Cafe Racer - hopefully!

Post by Supermofo »

Pics

Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Carbs will probably need air correctors to run with bell mouths, £30ish from Chris at Grumpy 1260, he's a good person to chat to about the engine anyway.

Brakes are massively over the top for it's performance, you could easily go down to one disc and save some weight, for a 1/2" master cylinder if you decide to do this.
Honda Owner
G.P

Post by G.P »

What kind of money is he looking for? Is he going to get it running before getting rid? mad if he doesn't....
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Dunno, he paid a fair amount for it when he bought it and he's not said how much he wants. He's lost a chunk, but my thinking is a runner is gonna be worth more than as is and we can work on cleaning it up cosmetically too.

I'd love it for myself as think it's pretty cool looking, but will settle for trying to sort it out. Good excuse to spend time at his drinking cider and talking bollocks whilst messing about with bikes :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Great project for someone. I'd love it if I had a garage.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I'm a fan. I think with the right exhaust and some candy red paint it's a winner
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

With mates like that, who needs enemies?

I'd say that is a solid base for a cafe racer, and won't need a vast amount of work. The good (read expensive) stuff like ali wheel rims and USD forks are already there.

Shame about the tank, but I'd be more concerned about the insides. Ethanol in fuel can cause serious internal rusting. I'd be draining the tank and checking that first thing.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:49 pm With mates like that, who needs enemies?

I'd say that is a solid base for a cafe racer, and won't need a vast amount of work. The good (read expensive) stuff like ali wheel rims and USD forks are already there.

Shame about the tank, but I'd be more concerned about the insides. Ethanol in fuel can cause serious internal rusting. I'd be draining the tank and checking that first thing.
Yeah I think he said he has another tank as well. If so might be better going with that if it works else we'll be rust busting.

The frame was freshly powder coated so that's good, engine cases and exhaust are the main grot worries.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

i like the stance -
1minifreak

Post by 1minifreak »

So is it for sale as I'm interested
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

1minifreak wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:37 pm So is it for sale as I'm interested