Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper ?

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper ?

Post by weeksy »

G.P wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:18 am
weeksy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:38 am
That was a nice compliment, along with being nice to do a ride on my own bike. So often I end up trying a different bike and I really really struggle on 99% of bikes to ride at even 50% of my normal speed, really don't know why. So to be able to ride mine and how I want to, was great. The 690 surprises me at times just how great it is. I'm very very glad I never sold it recently.
I'm quoting this so I can use it against you next time you think you need something different.
By the way, I didn't ride it before you put that Wilbers shock in it, its very plush :D Ever thought of putting a kit in the front?
Lol there's a set of R forks on eBay. Don't tempt me!!!!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Forks-WP-KTM ... 1438.l2649

Whilst the shock in these makes a good difference, I'm not sure the front end is nearly as bad as the rear.
the_priest

Re: Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper ?

Post by the_priest »

But you don't know until you do know. So why are you keeping us in suspense? The R forks could be the final touch! Or not...
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

the_priest wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:38 am But you don't know until you do know. So why are you keeping us in suspense? The R forks could be the final touch! Or not...
I've had them on a previous 690, hence why I do know :thumbup:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Aaaaha. The road oft travelled! I've lost track!
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

I will admit to looking at getting one of these rather than the 990SD as it would likely be more in keeping with my abilities and also my enjoyment!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

the_priest wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:41 am I will admit to looking at getting one of these rather than the 990SD as it would likely be more in keeping with my abilities and also my enjoyment!
The 990 would arguably fit you better at your height, but there's plenty of tall lads who've ridden 690s happily. They're just a fun bike to ride, hard work at times if riding with proper fast lads on fast bikes, but for day to day, they're just fantastic fun.
For me, the fact I can hold the throttle wide open to the stop is brilliant. Not all the time of course because it's not as slow as you'd think, but enough of the time so you feel like you're pushing on.
Out of corners, getting on the power early and grunting it out, just great fun.

Biggest thing I noticed the other day was the ease on the brakes, I noticed GP using engine braking more than his brakes, so if he'd used his 140bhp to pull out a bit I was able to just close it on the brakes.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

2 months after ordering LOL

Image2020-05-29_03-57-55 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

It's growing on me, I must admit.

Only thing that bugs me, and I'm highly surprised you haven't picked up on it, is the Motorex sticker - it does not follow the lines of the engine casing and it bothers my OCD!! :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

v8-powered wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:54 am It's growing on me, I must admit.

Only thing that bugs me, and I'm highly surprised you haven't picked up on it, is the Motorex sticker - it does not follow the lines of the engine casing and it bothers my OCD!! :D
I'm still debating engine covers actually but GB Racing don't make em yet.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:56 am

Stock cover look fine IMHO but why not?

Perhaps if mine I'd have the pillion peg hangers powder coated satin back to match the frame.
scottyuk

Post by scottyuk »

v8-powered wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:54 am Only thing that bugs me, and I'm highly surprised you haven't picked up on it, is the Motorex sticker - it does not follow the lines of the engine casing and it bothers my OCD!! :D
They bug the hell out of me! I whipped mine off straight away. I honestly don't know why people leave them on. It's just an advertising sticker for oil FFS!

(steps down from soap box ;) )
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

v8-powered wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:58 am
weeksy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:56 am

Stock cover look fine IMHO but why not?

Perhaps if mine I'd have the pillion peg hangers powder coated satin back to match the frame.
Or....

v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Good call as I guess you never take a pillion anyway?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

v8-powered wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:40 am Good call as I guess you never take a pillion anyway?
I did in about 2008 :) once... Well, he took me on my bike as pillion back from the pub if we're being technical about it :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

scottyuk wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:26 pm
v8-powered wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:54 am Only thing that bugs me, and I'm highly surprised you haven't picked up on it, is the Motorex sticker - it does not follow the lines of the engine casing and it bothers my OCD!! :D
They bug the hell out of me! I whipped mine off straight away. I honestly don't know why people leave them on. It's just an advertising sticker for oil FFS!

(steps down from soap box ;) )
Can't say it's ever bothered me, but to shut you all up, i removed it this morning :wtf:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Good news bad news

Good : exhaust sounds brilliant
Bad : not keen on the seat... pushes your bollox into the tank and gets you sitting too far forward. It's more comfortable i admit, but a bit incorrect in position
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:50 pm Good news bad news

Bad : not keen on the seat... pushes your bollox into the tank and gets you sitting too far forward. It's more comfortable i admit, but a bit incorrect in position

That seat sounds the same as the tracer, pushes you forward so have to keep shuffling back. I can live with it though. You might adapt. 🤷‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:50 am Can't say it's ever bothered me, but to shut you all up, i removed it this morning :wtf:
Any marks on the case from the sticker? Must say I forgotten mine is there.....but it might bother me now someones mentioned it. Mine's been on for 4 years though.

Like the can, looks smart. :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:47 pm
weeksy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:50 pm Good news bad news

That seat sounds the same as the tracer, pushes you forward so have to keep shuffling back. I can live with it though. You might adapt. 🤷‍♂️
It's unlikely

It's on eBay