MrLongbeard

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by MrLongbeard »

Waxed my nostril hairs :silent:
I hate to say it but I do recommend giving it a go
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

My Sister popped in with her new eBike for me to put together. Whilst i was doing that my Daughter rings asking us to drop some stuff over to her (70 mile round trip :? ) and she could take us to show us her new house she's about to move into. So I invited my Sister along and she jumped at the chance. Took my Wife and Sister to Halstead first where they had a mooch round the shops. Then off to look at Daughters new house. Lovely house and they are so excited! :) To round thw day off I took us all out to dinner. A really lovely day and as always, the unplanned ones always seem to work out best!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I needed to pick up some pond hose earlier and thought I'd try some shrimp in my aquarium, glad I started with the really cheap ones as I'm now watching my fish fight over scraps of shrimp.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Interesting day! Woke up to sunshine - yay - but also snow from overnight!! LOL Admired the sunshine to the noise of melting snow!!

Then left home to go to Chamonix - my shoes were a day choice - totally inappropriate for leaving the apartment building after a nights snow!! LOL

At least it didn't settle on the roads :D

Chamonix was gorgeous

Had a fab lunch out with good friend. She wanted veggie and damn it was good! Not sure I'd want it for every meal, but was a blooming good lunch!!

See, appropriate footwear!! :lol: :lol:

I'm now knackered and sunburnt!!! :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Noggin wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:59 pm
Chamonix was gorgeous

That's one of my favourite towns in the world, it's lovely in summer and magical at Christmas.
We've never managed to get the whole family there are the same time, but it's one of my goals. I was last there in 2019 and at the time I said I was going to arrange for us all to go as a pre-Christmas break the next year, but obviously Covid bolloxed that up.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:39 am
Chamonix was gorgeous

That's one of my favourite towns in the world, it's lovely in summer and magical at Christmas.
We've never managed to get the whole family there are the same time, but it's one of my goals. I was last there in 2019 and at the time I said I was going to arrange for us all to go as a pre-Christmas break the next year, but obviously Covid bolloxed that up.
Like Blackpool with a mountain. Shit food, way too many tourists. Of all the places in the Alps, it's my least favourite
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:01 am
Like Blackpool with a mountain. Shit food, way too many tourists. Of all the places in the Alps, it's my least favourite
The foreign tourists are the best part about it, it dilutes the amount of French people you come into contact with.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:11 am
The foreign tourists are the best part about it, it dilutes the amount of French people you come into contact with.
Maybe for you. We stayed in a lovely hotel right at bottom of mont blanc lift. But next morning we went up the Brevent lift instead as less busy. I sat out on balcony having a beer and woke up and sat looking at mont blanc eating croissant. Those bits, ace, the rest, meh, I'd rather be in Skeggy
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

:lol:

Potter

Post by Potter »

Taipan wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:43 am
Lol, my missus is exactly the same, she hates it, if I ever mention going to France all I get is abuse, the only exception is Haute-Savoie in the height of summer or at Christmas for a few days. We have family in the SofF and we've had a good look around and each time I'd say "Yeah but it will be different this time" and each time it isn't.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Potter wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:39 am
Chamonix was gorgeous

I've got a friend that lives just outside actual Chamonix - but yesterday was only the second time I'd been! It's stunning in the summer for sure. I've not been in the winter yet (usually too busy, wasn't allowed last Christmas!!).

Weirdly, she doesn't rate the ski area particularly (has also live in the valley below me, so has had easy access to the ski areas around here in the past) but she does love living there for sure :D

Crossing fingers you can get over for the pre Christmas break this year or next! Give me a shout and I'll pop over for a coffee somewhere and say hi! :D :D
Last edited by Noggin on Sun May 23, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

weeksy wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:18 am
Maybe for you. We stayed in a lovely hotel right at bottom of mont blanc lift. But next morning we went up the Brevent lift instead as less busy. I sat out on balcony having a beer and woke up and sat looking at mont blanc eating croissant. Those bits, ace, the rest, meh, I'd rather be in Skeggy
Based on yesterday, I'd agree - but all the tourists were French! And probably weren't all tourists but they did behave like tourists.

But lower altitude places tend to be more like that I guess? And people go to Chamonix for the name

Having had a little walk around it a couple of times I love it for the atmosphere and the architecture (the old stuff and some of the very new, the in between stuff needs ripping out!). But I wouldn't want to live there. But my mate loves it!! (She's bi-lingual, so not for a reason of avoiding French!!)

Taipan wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:43 am :lol:

That made me cry with laughter - had to put my bucket of tea down as thought I was gonna drop it!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Potter wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:22 am
Lol, my missus is exactly the same, she hates it, if I ever mention going to France all I get is abuse, the only exception is Haute-Savoie in the height of summer or at Christmas for a few days. We have family in the SofF and we've had a good look around and each time I'd say "Yeah but it will be different this time" and each time it isn't.
Haute-Savoie is the best!! Well, Savoie is the best, but Haut-Savoie is close!! LOL
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Put on my glad rags and went to Church to preach the sermon on Pentecost.

Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Noggin wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:19 pm
Having had a little walk around it a couple of times I love it for the atmosphere...
That's what I like, it looks pretty and it has a good atmosphere, touristy and full of families doing their thing with just enough half-serious people there to climb Mt Blanc so it gives it enough of an edge to make it feel like you're in the alps but not full of miserable rural French people or the serious climbers or skiers that are less fun to be around.
It all combines to make a fun little town where anyone can roll in and find something, like an oasis with just enough of everything you want for a few days.

I wouldn't live there either and after three days you've had enough, but I haven't found anywhere better for that experience.
Potter

Post by Potter »

the_priest wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:51 pm Put on my glad rags and went to Church to preach the sermon on Pentecost.

To be fair that's a proper dapper look for a vicar :thumbup:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Surprised to find we could get into a local chain restaurant for Sunday Lunch today! So we took my Son and Step Dad with us. They had no roast beef and the only other option was roast chicken! :roll: They'd run out of a lot of other things too, but it was nice to be in a pub again. :thumbup:
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Just about recovered from the 1st week back at work and being open.

Went for a walk and the a run.
Had some cookies the wife made.
CBR650r :mrgreen:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

formula400 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:39 pm
Had some cookies the wife made.
No pics??? :thumbdown:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Discovered one of my neighbors is a fucking psychopath & has poisoned all the squirrels. I hope her fucking dog eats one & dies from it.