What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Noggin »

Left fairly early (for me!) for Annecy - had booked an eye appointment at 11.30.

Got there and it turns out it was 11.10 :roll:

Luckily the dragon at the desk let me still have an appointment despite being late. BUT, she made me pay by not understanding the name of my building. When asking for someone's address, it helps to be able to understand when they spell it out :roll: - the only letter you say properly different is 'i'. So spelling Le (well, I said Le) Sikkim really shouldn't be the drama she made it. And when I wrote it down, she queried Le because I don't write my 'e's' very well :roll: FFS!!

Anyway, once past the dragon, the two opticians I saw (you seem to see a basic optician and the an 'eye doctor') understood what I said in French, I understood them and it was all very painless. Shame about the dragon!!!

Then I drove back via my usual stopping point in the winter for lunch - I did get a panini and a hot choc and I DID sit outside!! LOL It most definitely wasn't warm enough to but it's the first day since last summer that we can, so Dammit, I did!! :lol: :banana-dance:

On to physio. Now I hurt and am tired but I do have a prescription thingy so I can now get an appointment at the opticians to get the actual glasses (so complicated here!! LOL)

Oh - and IT'S FUCKING SNOWING AGAIN!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

With lockdown over (I've had both jabs so I'm OK) I managed to get into town but it was a bank holiday so there were 2 jobs I couldn't get done. I did however get a load of bits that'll allow me to get on with the new kitchen unit for the boat, 2 sheets of plywood 18 mm and 15 mm for a couple of outstanding jobs and a load of other stuff to keep me living. It's 150 TL to get the plywood delivered to the village. Just a couple of years ago that was pretty steep (but it's hard to get it on the bus and my friend sold her camper van :thumbdown: ) right now though with the Turkish Lira sitting at just under 12 to the £ it's quite reasonable.

I also got a call from a mate who told me he was going into town tomorrow (Thursday) and did I want a lift. Jumped at that as I can get the two jobs done tomorrow that I didn't do today. I've got to be busy the next few days as I want the boat in the water by the end of the month.

Oh, and the pool has been filled so I'll probably have a dip tomorrow afternoon. :thumbup:
Last edited by Yambo on Wed May 19, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Skub wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:17 pm I had a narrow escape today.

While clearing out my brother in law's house,my other BIL and myself were gutting the kitchen. He assured me the power to the oven was off before I cut the wire.

It wasn't.

The resulting bang blew a chunk out of my knife and scared the shit out of him at least! Fortunately I was wearing rubber work gloves,or things may have been very different.

I wanted to take a pic of the damaged blade,but I've lost it today. More annoyed about that than my near miss. :roll:
My knife was found. I'm happier about that than not being dead. :lol:

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Won a free replay on the Fantasy Five lottery last week, cashed in it on Monday & won $4, cashed that in yesterday bought another FF ticket, won $14 last night, gonna cash that in today invest $6 of that in 3 plays on Friday nights $515Million MegaMillions jackpot... may splurge on 5 tickets...
cheb

Post by cheb »

Skub wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:37 pm

While clearing out my brother in law's house,my other BIL and myself were gutting the kitchen. He assured me the power to the oven was off before I cut the wire.

It wasn't.

The resulting bang blew a chunk out of my knife and scared the shit out of him at least! Fortunately I was wearing rubber work gloves,or things may have been very different.

I wanted to take a pic of the damaged blade,but I've lost it today. More annoyed about that than my near miss. :roll:

Why didn't you use wire cutters? Just out of interest, not an H&S question.
Skub

Post by Skub »

cheb wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:47 pm Why didn't you use wire cutters? Just out of interest, not an H&S question.
Laziness and convenience,I suppose. My knife is always in my pocket,so it's usually going to be tried first.
Walt Whitman
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

It wasn't.

cheb

Post by cheb »

Fair enough. I'm more likely to have pliers in my pocket.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

cheb wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:55 pm Fair enough. I'm more likely to have pliers in my pocket.
Where do you keep Chaka demus ?
cheb

Post by cheb »

What or who is that? Or is it a typo?
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

7B8CDE57-E25F-4BF3-8E9B-0659049CD9E1.jpeg
7B8CDE57-E25F-4BF3-8E9B-0659049CD9E1.jpeg (332.46 KiB) Viewed 739 times
Fitted the new telly to the old ones ceiling mount, four hours of my life spent finding tools across two sheds and the study, cutting down bolts to the correct length, 20 minutes failing to find the hacksaw before giving up and luckily finding a blade and different hacksaw etc, moving the mount 120mm diagonally so the tv fitted, lowering the mounting bracket (discovered 10 years ago that I’d had to improvise a bit so had to improvise again), smashed knuckles and swearing but the bastard is finally up!
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
MingtheMerciless

Skub wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:37 pm

It wasn't.

Hmm I’d have invited my BiL for a strongly worded listening too.
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Skub

Post by Skub »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:54 pm
Hmm I’d have invited my BiL for a strongly worded listening too.
I think he had a considerably bigger shock than me. :lol:
Walt Whitman
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Yambo wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:36 pm With lockdown over (I've had both jabs so I'm OK) I managed to get into town but it was a bank holiday so there were 2 jobs I couldn't get done. I did however get a load of bits that'll allow me to get on with the new kitchen unit for the boat, 2 sheets of plywood 18 mm and 15 mm for a couple of outstanding jobs and a load of other stuff to keep me living. It's 150 TL to get the plywood delivered to the village. Just a couple of years ago that was pretty steep (but it's hard to get it on the bus and my friend sold her camper van :thumbdown: ) right now though with the Turkish Lira sitting at just under 12 to the £ it's quite reasonable.

I also got a call from a mate who told me he was going into town tomorrow (Thursday) and did I want a lift. Jumped at that as I can get the two jobs done tomorrow that I didn't do today. I've got to be busy the next few days as I want the boat in the water by the end of the month.

Oh, and the pool has been filled so I'll probably have a dip tomorrow afternoon. :thumbup:
It better be in the water by July. Or September the way it’s going. :(
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:51 pm 7B8CDE57-E25F-4BF3-8E9B-0659049CD9E1.jpeg

Fitted the new telly to the old ones ceiling mount, four hours of my life spent finding tools across two sheds and the study, cutting down bolts to the correct length, 20 minutes failing to find the hacksaw before giving up and luckily finding a blade and different hacksaw etc, moving the mount 120mm diagonally so the tv fitted, lowering the mounting bracket (discovered 10 years ago that I’d had to improvise a bit so had to improvise again), smashed knuckles and swearing but the bastard is finally up!
Appears to be mounted right in front of the door?
MingtheMerciless

ZRX61 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:38 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:51 pm 7B8CDE57-E25F-4BF3-8E9B-0659049CD9E1.jpeg

Appears to be mounted right in front of the door?
It is, it’s the door to the conservatory so telly can swivel round so we can watch it sitting in there as well
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

cheb wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:17 pm What or who is that? Or is it a typo?
Really?

David

Post by David »

Ilkike your stove....seems a little over the top unless you are well north of Aberdeen
MingtheMerciless

It is for Scarfolk on Sea, but the scandy firm that made them only made it for a few years as it wasn’t grunty enough for proper winters.

That said Mrs M would find the equator or Mercury at Perihelion a bit nippy.
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
cheb

Post by cheb »

slowsider wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:15 pm
cheb wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:17 pm What or who is that? Or is it a typo?
Really?

Yeah really. For no other reason that I didn't know who they were. I probably know of things that you don't, meh. If it was a name then both words would have been capitalised, just one capitalisation could have been an autocorrect.